Doom3 Info

Guest zerodamage

(edited)

NV10 path:

requires: same as arb path + register combiners.

features: feature complete*

runs on: GF1, GF2[mx], GF4MX

Rumors aside, it's hard to discount the fact that there is a path designed for the Geforce 2 based cores and not the direct x 7 ATI equivalent card(Radeon 7500).

<_<

Oh well.

At least the R200 and NV20 paths seem to favor the R200 since it's using a higher level pixel shader verison and uses single pass per light in most cases.

Edited by Birdman

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

I have the latest PC Gamer magazine with the Doom 3 Review and a QA about hardware and performance. There is one thing that I didn't know until today when I read this and I find it very interesting.

This is question #8:

Is it true that Doom 3's audio engine is entirely CPU dependant, thus negating the benefits of high-end sound cards? If so, what are the benefits? What are the drawbacks?

Yes, we do all sound-mnixing in the Doom 3 engine and don't rely on high-end audio hardware to help out with this aspect. Moving it over to the audio card would have a negligible benefit, as our current sound-mixing takes up onl a few percect of the CPU.

The benefit is that we run the same code-path on all systems. The only drawback is that we run the sound engine in a seperate thread, and keeping up with sound-synchronization issues has at times been a bit of a headache

Now, what this means that even your crappy onboard sound will be using 5.1 sound and it will sound as good as a Creative Blaster 2 ZS. Of course the output of the sound cards and onboard sound can have an impact. I wonder though how this affects performance and if a Pentium 4 with Hyper Threading will benefit at all?

Stang_Man has the fastest air cooled Athlon + 9800Pro air cooled setup in the world. http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7570816

anyways, i don't think you owned him, i wouldn't recommend people to wait for 512mb cards for one reason, Doom 3. The guy asking for a recommendation even said he doesn't even want to play Doom... You're right about Ultra mode, but thats not what was being talked about before, you threw that in after all was said and done.

my .02

I'm at least waiting for the 512mb cards. I don't have the money to spend 500$ on a card then later the 512's come out and then we need those. I just feel it's a good idea to sit it out for a while. Any 150$ card right now should be able to handle all games right?

anyways, i don't think you owned him, i wouldn't recommend people to wait for 512mb cards for one reason, Doom 3. The guy asking for a recommendation even said he doesn't even want to play Doom... You're right about Ultra mode, but thats not what was being talked about before, you threw that in after all was said and done.

True True.

But anyone that buys a 128MB 9800pro(not saying they are)after they found out Doom 3 can use a 256MB and a 512MB cards is kinda silly.

[H] to the rescue again for your Doom lovin'.

[H]ardOverclockersComparisonPage

nice link, judging by those screenies, Ultra mode requiring a 512mb card is something i'm not worried about missing out on...

Also, not everyone is going to play Doom 3, i will but im not a Doom fan. Im more excited about HL2. So buying a 128mb/256mb cards opposed to a 512mb card all comes down to what games your into.

Here's one of the many good quotes i found in the article.

We did see memory have an impact, but not at the 512MB or 1GB levels as you might think. Certainly having at least 1GB of memory in your gaming box is something that we've been suggesting for a while now, and we're sticking to that, but it does not seem to be necessary for DOOM 3. For the power users out there that have the luxury of having 2GB of memory in their boxes, we did see cases where we were able to push up to Ultra Quality settings as a result. Ultra Quality is basically reserved for 512MB video cards that are not yet on the market. The extra RAM in our test systems showed to greatly reduce any lag or “hitching� associated with the loading of the huge uncompressed textures that are used with the Ultra Quality setting in DOOM 3.

I can't believe how good Doom 3 looks @ low quality. This game looks pretty sweet.

You guys ready to buy another gig of ram? :=

Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guests

If I could've read through all this my own-nerdiness would've scared myself.

I just hope they can back up the graphics with some amazing game play :D.

Awsome, didn't see that part. Now I can put my 1.5 gigs of ram to good use. :)

True.

After reading over all this and listening to what the [H] guys had to say on their forums I'm really not all that worried about the initial speed gap between the High End ATi and Nvidia cards.

I think they both are gonna run the game pretty smoothly.

From what I saw @ 1600x1200 the Nvidia cards are gonna get away with some use of AA while the ATi cards won't.

I dont think there will be that much of difference between the two.

I do think that the cheaper 6800's(NU and GT variants) are a good deal for the money. Even if you forget entirely about the game named DOom.

I'm thinking bout upgrading to a 6800GT around Christmas and moving my 9800XT to the shuttle.

just sold off 8x256 sticks to fund 4x512's. Im ready

:twitch: That's sick o0o

I think the gameplay issue is gonna depend on what gamers expectations are.

If anyone is looking for some good ol' multiplayer I think Doom3 is gonna be the wrong game for them.

The mood of the game and how the mood is perceived will also depend heavily on the individual gamer.

If your gonna be playing Doom 3 in the living room in the middle of the day with the sound turned down low on a 3 year old computer; you won't have to same kinda experience as a 12 year old who has the lights turned down, @ 2am, by their self, in their small bedroom, with the bass bumping on their surround sound system.

I can't wait to start playing the game around midnight when it first comes out.

Anyone that plays this game in the middle of the day should be beaten and shown the proper way to set the mood for a game based on scaring the crap out of it's audience.

The last game where I actually jumped was Far Cry(before that I can’t remember if I ever had) and that was mostly cause I ran out of ammo in the dark and had something lunge at me. This time Ima try to stay reloaded.

Guest Guest
Guest Guest
Guest Guest
Guests

Last Comp game that scared or had me on edge was RTCW. The undead was a little wierd but the first time that lightning guy broke out and came after me, I nearly crapped myself, and I loved it. I love games like this with a story that scare the crap out of you. Just like I love the great story behind games like HL2. Can't wait.

I just got a Gig of RAM from a friend of mine, Geil PC3500, used of course. Wil be selling my PC3200 Corsair PC3200 2x256MB sticks if anyone is interested.

Also purchased a used Fortismo III 7.1 soundcard. Time to move away from Soundstorm onboard audio. (If I did not get scammed, only paid 25 bucks for it)

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
Last Comp game that scared or had me on edge was RTCW. The undead was a little wierd but the first time that lightning guy broke out and came after me, I nearly crapped myself, and I loved it. I love games like this with a story that scare the crap out of you. Just like I love the great story behind games like HL2. Can't wait.

I just got a Gig of RAM from a friend of mine, Geil PC3500, used of course. Wil be selling my PC3200 Corsair PC3200 2x256MB sticks if anyone is interested.

Also purchased a used Fortismo III 7.1 soundcard. Time to move away from Soundstorm onboard audio. (If I did not get scammed, only paid 25 bucks for it)

Seems I keep getting logged off on the forums and it allowed me to post this without being signed in. Just an FYI. The above post is from me.