Upgrade time

TeK

TeK
(edited)

Well I know this community and the comp smart people have helped a number of people well its my time. In the next couple of weeks I will be upgrading my full system. New gen games are coming out (Doom 3 and HL2). I know video card depends on each game (ie. Doom 3 will run better on 6800GT bu HL2 will run better on x800)

Aside from Monitor, keyboard,mouse,speakers, and Case(Possibly)

I give everyone here $1,000(Give or take, I can add more if needed but not as much). Mobo, Processor, Ram(1 gig), video card(between x800 series and 6800GT),

Optional-Case,sound card.

If you could newegg links with the product that would be incredible help. Thanks for your time/work in advance. I'm looking foward to hearing from you.

Edited by TeK

and here I was thinking it was gonna be easy with $1k

I say don't buy such huge hard drives or just use the ones you currently have, then I also don't suggest getting the top of the line video card unless you don't upgrade often (like me). I spent $400 about 2 years ago and my vid card will still play any game I throw at it (though it might not play D3 and HL2), but I've seen others who upgraded vid cards 2 or 3 times in the time I had the same $400 one. So basically, figure out what you are and if you upgrade alot, don't get top of the line...

TeK
(edited)

I upgrade about every 2 years give or take. I took Hard drives off the list cause I can grab them on promotions around here 1 week(Comp USA, circuit city, and bestbuy always have rebates for hard drives) as well as case and sound card being optional. I'm just going to need the vital parts.

Remember, I said I can throw in more money if need be. $1000 though is what I would like to spend but it can be raised or lowered.

Edited by TeK

for the amount of money the HyperX costs there is better ram. I say get the cheapest 2x512 kit you can find though, probably A-Data pc3200 kit. I had one, it works fine. If you want good ram, go OCZ EB.

6800GT

A64 3200+ (price v performance for 3400+ isn't worth it in my mind)

Mobo - don't know much about AMD A64's.

Antec 480 PSU

I'm about the same as you TeK, I upgrade around every 2 years, if even that. My Athlon XP 1900+ system finally crashed (I think the processor went bad) so I've been without a computer for a few months no. I'm just waiting on a new credit card to come in the mail to order a new system. I'm looking to spend no more than $600 with shipping, preferably closer to $500. I've been haunting newegg for the last month, and this is what I've come up with: (I'll provide links later, doing a virus scan right now, and the computer's too slow to browse much)

Athlon 64 3200+ ($218)

mid level socket 754 motherboard ($80-90)

2x512mb sticks of A-Data PC-3200 RAM ($77x2)

Thermaltake 420watt psu ($42)

That's the guts right there, I'm still debating about if I should add anything else. But right there you've got only $500 worth of stuff, so there's enough left over for a top of the line video card. I've got a 9800 Pro, so I'm not upgrading that right now.

As far as what I might add:

120 GB hard drive ($90)

Turtle Beach "Santa Cruz" 6 channel sound card (5 star rating out of 230 users) ($36)

Plantronics Audio .90 headset ($18)

The sound card would probably be my next choice, though I think I'll check out the sound on the motherboard before ordering a card, some like mobo sound, some hate it. I've only got a 4.1 surround system, so I may not even notice a difference.

Also, my favorite cases are the Antec SOHO server series, though I have yet to shell out the money for one. (bought one once at CompUSA, but took it back cuz I couldn't get the computer working) Super strong feeling case, and great looking. Heavier than a backpack full of bricks though, even without the components in it. It's around $60 without the power supply and $80 with the power supply. Comes with 2 fans in back and places for 2 more in front, and the hard drive racks (6 spots) unlatch and come out for easy installation.

Well, there's my take on a computer for TeK. Sorry I don't have links for you. I'll put some up later.

the Asus Deluxe mobos are usually top of the line, however you probably don't want the socket 939. the processors for those are more expensive, though AMD is going to make that socket it's primary type, I believe. The socket 754 will become the budget system, much like the Athlon XP is now. However, at this point in time, I would go with socket 754 for the most cost effective solution.

As for motherboard, how many bells and whistles do you need and of what type? Decide if you need all the SATA connections, raid, 7.1 audio, etc. The cheaper 80-90 dollar motherboards have most of the same features the 150 dollar boards have, mostly just lacking in one or two features like raid or SATA. Decide what you NEED in the motherboard, then buy the cheapest one to fit your needs. Also, check Tom's Hardware for a reveiw of socket 754 motherboards. It's a bit old, but a good comparison of 4 of the cheaper ($80-100) motherboards.

TeK
(edited)

After talking with a buddy of mine. Hes directed me towards these parts.

This MOBO

MSI nForce3 250 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Athlon 64 Socket 754 CPU, Model "K8N Neo Platinum" (MS-7030) -RETAIL

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-130-457&depa=1

Geil Value Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200

-OEM (Quantity 2)

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-144-305&depa=1

AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 512k L2 Cache, The Only 64-bit Windows Compatible Processor - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-103-483&depa=1

Told me to pick up the 6800GT from Compusa since it seems to be cheaper. $399 for the PNY 6800GT

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?ty...8&skuId=6684652

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_in...4102&pfp=BROWSE

Any thoughts? Good bad.

Edited by TeK

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

The Via chipset for Athlon 64 is much better than the Nforce-3 chipsets right now. And they cost less.

Ask Madbean. The 3000 processor is perfectly fine for the cost and is at the top of the list for Doom3 performance.

Geil RAM is great RAM for the cost. I use it and it performs great.

I believe one stick of 1-gig costs more than 2 sticks of 512.

A decent power supply is important. 450 watt or better if you get the 6800 vid cards since they require more power than ATI's newest cards. AND the make of the PSU is important. Some generic cheapo that comes in your case will not be sufficient unless you buy like an Antec case. Aspire makes decent PSU's as well and they typically come pre-modded. Asus now makes PSU's which were rated quite well.

Yes indeed it usually does.

But in a motherboard that has only 3 RAM slots, getting 2 512MB sticks isn't gonna leave much room for expansion.

And lets face it 1GB of RAM doesn't phase a new game like Doom 3. :)

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Yes indeed it usually does.

But in a motherboard that has only 3 RAM slots, getting 2 512MB sticks isn't gonna leave much room for expansion.

And lets face it 1GB of RAM doesn't phase a new game like Doom 3. :)

1 gig is a difference between night and day against 512MB with Doom3. I noticed that when I put in my 1-gig after trying out the 512. No more stuttering and sputtering.

(edited)
1 gig is a difference between night and day against 512MB with Doom3.  I noticed that when I put in my 1-gig after trying out the 512.  No more stuttering and sputtering.

Yeah from what i hear the feeding frenzy doesnt end there.

The [H]ardOCP fellas had something like 4gigs of RAM in their machine when they ran those Doom 3 benchmarks. :=

imagine 2 gigs or a 512meg video card.

Now your talking.

Lets face it. It's gonna be awhile before everyone can get 300FPS+ in Doom 3 like they do on Quake 3.

I remember thinking I was awesome when i could get above 20FPS on Quake 3 @ 1600x1200.

Same story all over again. :wub:

Edited by Birdman