Looking for new RAM?

Birdman

(edited)

^_^ Check this great write up over at Anandtech. ^_^

=F-A-S-T= DDR Memory: 2-2-2 Roars on the Scene

Features the new Low Latency PC3200 RAM that can also overclock to PC4000.

To me it looks to be the last best regular DDR we'll see before the move to DDR2.

8P) Be sure to stock up for newer games like Doom 3. :wub:

Crucial seems to be doing a good job with their first enthusiast RAM offering.

Crucial seems to be pleasing Enthusiasts in many areas these days, and we are honored to award Crucial Ballistix 3200 the Gold Editors Choice for Best Performance in the DDR400 2-2-2 roundup. Crucial Ballistix is the first memory that we have tested to achieve consistent, stable DDR timings of 2.5-2-2 at DDR500, in addition to the incredible range of usable timings at the most aggressive 2-2-2 timings. In the range from DDR400 to DDR514, Crucial Ballistix was clearly the fastest memory in the roundup. Crucial Ballistix was also a winner in being the only memory in the roundup that achieved the same impressive performance on the Socket 939 Athlon 64 as it achieved on the Intel 478 platform.
Edited by Birdman

and thats what i've been waiting to hear. Thanks Birdman.

My choices have been down to OCZ EB and this. I did find out that they do both use Micron chips and the Crutial is a lot less expensive.

Crucial Ballistix: Micron 5B-G chips.

OCZ EB: Micron 5B-C chips.

woot !

True.

People were saying that Crucial was using Samsung chips, and I got nothing against Samsung chips, but I was like why would they do that when Micron OWNS Crucial and they've always used their own chips.

Didn't make since that they would use someone else's stuff, but I guess no one had faith for Crucial.

Cept for me that is. :D

GG Crucial.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Any places to order this RAM and any ideas on the cost?

just ordered 2 of them. ill post results on their overclockability monday/tuesday when they arrive.

if they check out good i'll get 2 more. and finish selling off my old ram

and in 24 hours they are here.... and that was the free shipping option.

i might just fall in love with Crutial if these OC OK.

be back later with results.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
just ordered 2 of them. ill post results on their overclockability monday/tuesday when they arrive.

if they check out good i'll get 2 more. and finish selling off my old ram

and in 24 hours they are here.... and that was the free shipping option.

i might just fall in love with Crutial if these OC OK.

be back later with results.

According to that review, they OC to 500 and can go as high as 466 with the same 2-2-2 timings. Crucial used to be the best back about 4 years ago. Maybe they will come back... I will wait though for the prices to go down.

Crucial used to be the best back about 4 years ago. Maybe they will come back...

? :unsure:

Been using them for 6 years and I think you may be forgetting what Crucial is known for.

That would be stability and compatibility.

I got at least 12 sticks of Crucial ram around here and while they have a lifetime warranty; I've never had a problem with any of them.

This is on various platforms, chipsets, and ram slots.

Crucial has never been known as an enthusiast or overclockers ram(although i've had some success in the past), but looks like killa is reaping the benefits of years of engineering by Micron.

CPU is maxxed out because of heat, the RAM is GOOD. I'll be ordering 2 more.

That's good news man.

Can't wait to try some.

:wub:

umm.

one of my Ballistix 512 sticks just died... my comp restarted and just kept restarting over and over. Only change i've made recently is the ram so I take the 2x256 kit out and the same restarting goes on. Take one of the 512 sticks out and leave one in and it starts right up. Put the other 512 stick in and it reboots over and over.

<_<

2.9v at 235fsb 2-2-2 when things got weird.

im really really confused right now.

Upon more testing they both work. But something changed or happened that i didn't do...

They both work seperately.

Will not work together. Not even at stock speed. Not in any DIMM combination. Its almost like their not compatible all of the sudden, after working flawless for 2 days. When it took a dump i was running 1.5gigs (2x512 & 2x256) and i have ran with this much ram many times before and for longer periods of time then just 2 days...

So im lost. Why won't they work together all of the sudden. Right now i have 4x256 running 235fsb together dual channel, so i know its not my board having an issue ? i hope ? it just doesn't make any sense why it worked and now it doesn't.

PSU is not a problem, i checked my rails with a multi-meter and they hold strong on boot up, so its not a power issue.

leaves only the ram ?

• 1 month later...