Well DOOM3 goes bye bye from my HD

BIGSHaW

I know it looks great and it is scary but Im deleting it off my HD...I got to Toxic waste disposal and by now I totaly made up my mind...I have no interest in keep going.

Beefs I have so far:

1. Freaking flashlight - they should've put it on the shoulder or under some of the guns...the way it is now is just frustrating...If I was that marine I would tape it to my forehead!

2. Gimme some night vision for Crist's sake.. its 22nd century isn't ?

3. Monsters are way too predictable....I mean its given that if u see one infront, there is gonna be one spawned behind u with like 99% probability....and it always like that, its getting redicilous

4. The biggest complain of them all DEAD BODIES DISAPPEAR!!! I mean how dare u call this sequel to the bloodiest game ever if I cannot see the carnage I've just made?!?!?! I can't even take a closer look on how those bastages look!!! and even if those artists did a good job making them (which Im sure they did) I cannot appreciate it to the fullest, what a waste of effort...

4a. Cannot make a clear distinction from places where I've been and where I haven't cuz again...no dead bodies to indicate my traces.

5. Levels are monotonous...like I understand its the same base and all but u gotta give players some variety dudes it never hurts....u get tired of always going to dark places....comon gimme atleast some break by having well lit up areas now and then.

6. Im always alone...I thought this game was released in 2004 not 1995....comon little centry bot is all u guyz could master? bah I've seen more NPCs in HL in 1996 or whenever it was released

7. No multi-player....although if issues above get resolved I might overlook no MP part...by how it stands right now...its just makes it a final stroke.

So call me a weirdo or bad sport...but Doom 3 didn't do it for me ...just like FarCry didn't either...heck I had more fun playing HL2 beta than those 2 full releases.

Cheers.

PS: Machine gun (my fav from Doom2) shuold have more than 60 rounds....even SMG has 60 rounds....really doesn't make sence to leave MG with 60 also now does it?

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Yeah, I am getting a little irritated with it also. Same thing over and over and it always being dark and poop always popping up behind you. I am getting a little bit annoyed with it now.

I must say I agree with the above, with that said I still like the game the graphics, the monsters, the sound, it's all great, and I wasn't really expecting to play some sort of revolutionry FPS (ahem, Hl2). Anyway, I was reading a review from IGN, and this is something that could have made the game a WHOLE lot better:

"They all have dodge moves that are agile as can be so why don't they use them more? Take the Imps for instance. I know I saw them crawl up the walls; why don't they do that when they fight you? Crawl up a wall, hurl fireballs, jump to the ground, pounce out of the way of your bullets, etc"

I could think of arguments for all the points raised here and in other mostly negative reviews, but I won't.

Sorry you guys feel this way.

The game lived up to my every expectation and is a great remake of Doom 1. It's nice to see what Doom 1 should have been the first time around.

The middle part of the game may move a lil' slow, but towards the end it get freakin' nutz.

Maybe everyone doesnt have the time to spend with the game that I do, and I understand that.

Maybe you guys should try FarCry. :D

I would like to hear ur point of view Birdman, cuz maybe I do go off too harsh on it...dont get me wrong Im myself a big Doom fan and I wish only good for this game...but again those problems are just way to big to overlook for me personally...

Thats what I got so far to counter above beefs:

1. Dead bodies - have to disappear cuz developers wanted to free up as much memory and other resources as possible to make game playable...OK I understand that...better to have less eyecandy rather than a slideshow with 1 FPS...but then an option to make bodies disappear or atleast stay awhile would be nice....I didn't pay 3000$ for my PC to have dead bodies disappear like on some Xbox!

2. Flashlight - is made the way it is to add "scare" factor...and keep lighitng dark during engagements....but then again...the same could have been done by let say attaching ur flashlight to bodyarmour/guns and having limited batteries in it ...so u can't use it all the time?

I dunno how u can argue lack of NPCs and Monotonus level design Bird, but Im looking forward to ur reply

I think doom, or the new doom shall we say, is all about atmosphere. From the second you get a gun and start down into the bowels of a maintenance area; the game is setting up this great atmosphere. And it hasn't stopped for me. The intent of the game is to evoke a sense of fear in the player. You are on a barren wasteland that has an industrial, dirty, resource gathering, workstation smack dab in the middle of it. It's not a game based in paradise where everything is new and colorful, and it's that way for a reason. The game starts as a marine gets off a shuttle to do a job; a job that he seemingly has been fully debriefed on. I think it could be believed that the marine didn't bring all his possible "toys", and so their are certain game elements that can be seen as sheer improvisation on the part of the main character(if he would have known that hell was gonna be split wide open on mars maybe he would have packed a lil’ better). On his expedition The marine just so happens to pick up a flashlight. God forbid it isn't the latest and greatest new high tech flashlight that illuminates entire rooms and is magically interchangeable with random guns and weapons that he finds on the way(although it’s clear the pistol and flashlight could be used in conjunction with one another). Sure a man could duct tape the thing to his head, but if you believe that the guy is just pickin' up stuff as he goes (as the main character seems to do) then possible you could believe that duct tape is in limited supply on the base.J

But look. What it really boils down to is how immersed you allow your self to get into this movie....urrr ummm....video game; without constantly having to critique and dissect every artistic direction the games designers tried to take. It's ok to poke fun at parts of the game simply because of the basis of the game, and we even the game designers doing this at times(like when the posed the question how the heck chainsaws got on mars).

This game is really what you want to make out of it. The developers have given us a game that can really get into a persons head and evoke some fear; never mind the actual quantity of fear that each person gets. I think if you play this game alone, in the dark, with sound cranked out and really follow the story that things start to happen. You really do jump and become twitchy at times. Some people say it becomes predictable, but I say you haven't played the game enough, because you continue to get freaked out through out different parts of the game. Although the AI is lacking and I defiantly think that this takes away from the immersion of the game (albeit this is one of the few things that took me out of the great atmosphere that >id< provided).

I find it's way too easy in the early stages of video games to point out what needs to be done to fix a great title. Everyone is always asking why a game developer didn't do this, or implement something else that they find to be so clearly needed. Bottom line is that it's gonna be impossible to completely astonish everyone with a new FPS once they have been deflowered by playing their first one. The first time someone saw a FPS like Castle Wolfenstein or Doom they truly were knocked out of their chairs by the fact that they could take part in a 3D world through the eyes of a character in a computer game. However, each game after the first is gonna have a harder time making a leap that will provide that much excite in someone again.

Some people are gonna keep searching for that initial thrill of when they first played what they thought to be the greatest game ever, but it won't be there. Instead the newer games that come out will slowly add little things here and there, and older audiences will just scoff at what they see to be lil' progress and become jaded.

Really and truly Doom 3 brought back some excitement for me. I just hope people that nit pick a monumental game like this; realize where the entire FPS genre started. If you think Doom is bland and that fighting in a barren waste land is boring then your missing the point of the game. This was a ride that >id< wanted to take gamers on again and show them what has changed and what is possible. The fact that a person can be scared @ 3AM by a "VIDEO GAME" is more than enough validation for me. Maybe I'm just crazy though

:blink::freak:

aww Shaw :(

I love the game and couldn't have asked for more. I got a little frustrated a few times in Delta Labs because i couldn't find anything to do, but that pace has definately picked back up agian.

Nice read Birdman, i agree. Sure you know there is going to be a monster in the next room, you knew that before you bought the game. They STILL scare me though. I'll be running down a hallway and come up to a door and not even get through the door and something has already jumped onto my face and knocked my head back. I love it. And i have actually jumped because things have really scared me.

Truly it is just another HL-like "oh no everything went wrong now fix it" type game, but with a little more (and I've said this 3-4 times) haunted house appeal.

There are little things that I'm impressed with, like the PDA and the scare factor, but beyond that it's no better than HL singleplayer. It doesn't touch CoD single player IMO.

I see this one coming and going quickley like CoD, and with the limitations immediate on MP and the incredible demands on the system, possibly even faster.

I'll play the game until I'm done, then I'll lend it to Mini so he can!

I'm going to do some HL replaying right now to see how that strikes me now that I've played Doom3.

i might like it if i had a comp strong enuff to run it. i lag like mad when i play so i havent even made it back into the HQ after the attack. :( those creatures that shoot fireballs are on my butt before i even notice that one has came. stupid comp :disgust:

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
I'm going to do some HL replaying right now to see how that strikes me now that I've played Doom3.

Keep an eye out for the G-man and tell me if you noticed him the first time you played through. I never did until I played through again a couple of months ago. I realized then that there was this guy that if you shot him when he walked across a cat walk, you did no damage to him.

I remember being a kid and my dad bringing home some floppy disk's and it had Doom on it. It was the very first FPS game I played, well except wolfenstien 3D.... Doom was so awesome back in they day. I never kept up with the game, but I remeber buying the sequal and playing that for years, I dont think I ever beat it though....

I can only imagine what this game is like...Ill buy your doom disc for cheap BiGshaw. Hey I have american dollars!!!

Thx for reply Bird, but as I said Im not anti-Doom here...I did get scared ...and frankly I actually had to take limit my sessons to 2 hours and then take a break...cuz its just too much sometimes :P Heck I even freaked out at my job the other day...when one of the supervisers passed with the radio on him and I heard radio chatter and I was like "OH NO THERE ARE ZOOMBIE MARINES SOMEWHERE!!!" :D

Im not arguing that this game is not scary or lacks fun aspect....its just for me personally disappearing bodies and some of the above beefs is ruining it....I expected more from ID really...maybe they rushed it...maybe they run out of money...whatever the reason....in my eyes they didn't meet my expectations. Maybe Im spoiled by HL2...I dunno...but so far it looks like Valve boyz putting more into the game than boyz at ID

PS: To NOFX...Sorry mate I had "extended demo version" if ya know what I mean

Truly it is just another HL-like "oh no everything went wrong now fix it" type game, but with a little more (and I've said this 3-4 times) haunted house appeal.

There are little things that I'm impressed with, like the PDA and the scare factor, but beyond that it's no better than HL singleplayer. It doesn't touch CoD single player IMO.

Yep (especially that last sentence). Still fun tho. And I've jumped outta my seat a few times now :)