Help J piece together a new system!

General J

Ok, here's the deal. My current computer is 800 mhz, 128mb ram, 30 gig hd, ATI Radeon 9200. Since I will be moving out sometime in the near future, I will be needing a computer of my own. This setup will be staying with my parents, minus the vid card.

I would like to be able to run more current games (along the lines of cs, bf1942, rainbow six 3. Not the killer games like doom 3. HL 2 would be nice, but not a need.) The max budget is about $500-600. Parts can be used/refurbished as long as they are easily attainable.

Let the suggestions fly! ^_^

DFI board - $56

Barton 2600+ - $93

Allied 400w PSU - $28

80gig hdd - $63

9600XT - $131

total - $371

leaves you with $130 for Ram and a case. You can have a real nice gamer for under $500, i have 2x256 ram i can sell you for cheaper then stuff you will find on newegg, and is faster then anything you will find on newegg. Case doesn't make your PC faster so i wouldn't spend a lot on one since your on a budget.

if you want to stay under the $600 i would go for a 2x512 kit of A-Data pc3200 for the ram.

Will play Doom3 in 800x600. Will play CS at constant 100fps, and play BF1942 in 1024x800 with nice quality and good frames.

I'd let your parents keep the 9200 :P Honestly, its going to have a hard time playing anything better then CS, and im not sure it will even play that at 100fps.

Hmm, I may return the 9200 tomorrow, stick the 16mb tnt2 back in (fine for what they do with it) and start odering! :-) What kind of ram are you selling AK? I wouldn't mind splurging a bit on the processor, since I can upgrade the ram pretty easy after the fact. So if you have a good price on the ram, i may take it off your hands!

khx3500.jpg

2x256 Kingston HyperX PC3500 2-2-2

$110 shipped insured.

I would take the 9200 back too, if your able to. A 9600XT will amaze you im sure. If you want to throw extra money into something on that list i would do it in the video card department, not cpu. a 9800pro would be the next step up for just under $200. To put more into the cpu you would need to go P4 or A64, things get expensive then though. Maybe a bigger HDD, but im sure 80gigs will be plenty after your used to 30gigs. :D

So is something like what AK suggested with the PSU that zero posted about my best buy for a good gaming rig? I am trying to get the most bang for my buck.

An 80 gig HD will be more than I will know what to do with, let me tell you!

AK I will pm you when I get off work about that RAM.

Would it be worth my while to spend a few extra bucks and get a mobo with onboard Sata/RAID? Such as this board?

How much faster is Sata than IDE? And will I really notice a difference?

Also, should I go with RAM like what AK is selling? More expensive "high end" Ram and go with 512mb.

OR - should I go with slightly lower grade RAM such as THIS and get 2 sticks of 512mb for a gig?

I found out through actually balancing my checkbook that I have a little bit more money than I had figured. So... I got a few extra bucks to drop. I still have to remember that I need a monitor and keyboard as well.

I was thinking about this monitor... oops.. wrong link :DHow about this one? Anyone have any suggestions for monitors?

The keyboard I am really none too worried about. I bought my current GE keyboard at Target for like $5. Works great if I do say so myself!

I've never ran Raid 0 before, but i do have a 10,000rpm Raptor drive, and i can't feel it being any faster then my 7200rpm drive.. i wouldn't waste my time or money with it. If you have the extra money to spend, get an A64.

i would get the gig.

I think I have decided whatever the amount of ram, I want to go with the dual sticks. (Dual channel if I recall correctly right?) Wasn't sure about the latency though. How much of a difference is there between 2-2-2 and 3-3-3? Again, anything that I could really notice unless I was doing benchmarks?

Would I be smarter to save some money, and just get a case with a 400 watt power supply instead of getting the psu seperate?

Right now, with the Kingston 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 x2 to make a gig, and the stuff you suggested, I am at $534. Here's the cart

If buying new stuff there really isnt a reason not to use SATA as it costs almost the exact same and coule be considered a lil' more future proof.

I wouldnt buy a PATA drive over SATA, but thats just me.

Gig of slower RAM would be better than 512MB of the slower stuff if you arent overclocking a P4 or something.

I love NEC monitors and prolly won't ever own anything else besides them.

They can cost a lil' more but are great for gaming.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-002-037&depa=0

I have owned that one for 2 years and it's sweet.

I own the bigger 22" version of it too and both are working great.

Make sure you get @ least a 19" that is a flat screen though, no matter what brand.

Thanks for all the help so far guys. I will probably try to surf around for a few minutes on break time at work or when I get home for a case.

If you happen upon any nice cases, without psu, for cheap, post em up if you would. I am looking to order tomorrow or wednesday! :o:D^_^

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

I haven't looked but take a look at www.xoxide.com and see what they have their for cases. I get all of my case modding stuff there also. Fans are cheaper there than Newegg.

Ok, so I made my final picks and I am ready to order :D Total came out to be $717.98. Not too bad. A little more than I was wanting to spend but that's ok. I dropped the 9600xt for now. Rest assured that I will be ordering one in a few weeks. Looking at benchmarks at Tom's Hardware with a decent setup and the 9200, I should be fine for now.

Here is the shopping cart just in case anyone wanted to take a peek. I will be adding in little things as I get the money, and probably upgrading a few things down the road. But this will give me a start to being able to change things when I feel like it.

Ok since the links aren't working for whatever reason. I went with the DFI mobo, Athlon 2600+ Barton processor, WD 80 gig hd, 2x 512mb kingston ram, ATI 9600xt video, This Case, This DVD/CD-Rom, This IDE cable, and the allied 400w psu that AK suggested.

I am going to use my current monitor for the time being (a few weeks) and then order a nice 19" monitor. :D