Linspire 4.9

dwEEziL

I am putting this here instead of the Software forum so that it will get out to the majority of the people, not just the HW/SW/CW people.

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/34963

See the info at the top of that page regarding a free download of Linspire 4.5 (previously known as Lindows). This is for anyone who has been wanting to try an alternative OS to Windows but was afraid of the learning curve. I have never tried it, but Linspire/Lindows is supposed to be very user friendly.

***EDITED***

Hehe, oops, it is just v4.5, not v4.9 like the topic said. You used to be able to modify the topic but I couldn't find how to in this version

Downloaded this and installed it on a P4 1.6 with built in audio and video and everything went smoothly. Download took 4 hours tho.

Seems like a linux port of Windows if that make sense. Has the standard windows desktop items (my computer, my network, etc). Seems sluggish tho when compared to Mandrake. But it's very easy to use.

These are just my initial impressions after about an hour of tinkering.

Posting this from Linspire... I downloaded it in 2 hours last night and threw it on a spare P3 1.2 GHz with a *snickers* Voodoo4 4500. Everything worked perfectly on the first try, total install took me about 30 minutes. It looks pretty easy to use considering I'm a total Linux noob.