Alternative Browsers?

Mossad

(edited)

Recently after a key logger was installed on my computer due to an IE glitch that allows an infected jpeg to install it I went looking for a new browser. The browser I finally decided on is called "firefox" and can be downloaded at Mozilla

I can't tell you how happy I am w/ this browser! I no longer get popups and I just feel so much more secure. From my understanding the reason that this is so much more secure is that 99% of the computing world uses IE and there for most hacks are directed at that browser. Give it a shot, or give me some feed back on what you use.

Edited by Mossad

I'm a software newbie :(

btw I just found this post on another forum

Here are 4 alternatives browsers to internet Explorer :

Opera : http://www.opera.com

Free with an advertising very small, onglets, integrated email, integrated IRC, pop up blocker. Use quite a lot of memory (lot less than IE) but it s very fast when started. Lot of skins available.

Firefox : http://www.mozilla.com/firefox

Free with pop up blocker and onglets. Very light and fast. Lot of skins and plugins available.

Mozilla : http://www.mozilla.com

Same engine as firefox but with mail and IRC so it s a bit heavier in memory. It can be compared to opera in fonctionality i think (i ve not used it too much)

Netscape : http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/default.jsp

Same engine as mozilla with a mail client and popup blocker. I didnt tested the last version so i cant talk much about it.

Why using them?

1.Security : IE and all the browsers based on it(maxthon) was made 5 years ago and never really upgraded since. Microsoft is very long to repair hte vulnerabilities nad most of the time the patches don t work very well. Those 3 browsers have almost as much vulnerabilities as IE but they are corrected very quickly and very efficiently. And as they are very few used nobody target thoses vulnerabilities and that make you protected against 99% of the browsing problems.

2.speed : IE is very slow to display pages! it can t manage hudge tables and images.

3.ressources : in most cases those browsers use less memory than IE cause they are optimized and updated often unlike IE.

4.stability : IE is part of windows kernel and directly linked to your file browser so if it s crash, the system stability is compromized. If opera crashes only it will crash nothing else if affected.

5.CSS displaying : IE isn t at the last W3C norms about the web (css2.0 and HTML4.0) so some website are badly displayed. The contrary is also true : some site developped for IE won t be displayed correctly with the other browsers. But as it s a problem from IE, the less people are using, the less site will stay with poopty code.

6.modern features (this is also true for maxthon) : all those browsers are onglets browsers, that means you only have one porgram but that can display several pages at the same time. WHen you are used to it it s very convenient! They all integrate pop up blockers to avoid undesirable windows. They are all skinable to be at your taste. They almost all have good download managers, mail client and some other stuff that IE doent have and is very usefull when you have it.

in conclusion : Ie is an old program that wouldn t be updated before longhorn in 2006! So sticking in it only because it s the default browser in your OS is not acceptable when we see all the stuff the hackers do in the web nowaday. You can avoid most of those dangers by downloading a free program so it s a bit dumb to not at least try one of them.

I recommand you to test all of them and keep only your favorite one. They won t mess your system, are free and light to download so at least give it a try you can be surpirsed and keep them, or disgusted and uninstall them! You have the choice unlike IE that is given to you and is everywhere in windows so don t let your freedom be crushed by the daily use of IE!

NB : i m french so i can make english mistakes just tell them to me i will correct them. The same for the technical mistakes if i forgotten something just tell me i will edit my post and try to maintain it up to date.

Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guests

Should've asked me, Firefox saved my PC from having to run adaware etc every other night to get it to run half decently. I'd highly recommend Firefox to ANYONE :].

I used to use Crazy Browser but since it hasn't been updated in almost 2 years I switched to Maxthon (formerly MyIE2). Maxthon, as well as Crazy Browser, still uses the IE rendering engine though so is still susceptible to IE vulnerabilities (although not as much due to the popup blocking and script control).

If you want security, I would definitely suggest Firefox over any browser that uses the IE engine. I just prefer the way Maxthon works. But rememeber, as Mossad posted, the reason IE has so many posted vulnerabilities about it is because it is the most widely used browser and hence a tasty target for the hackers. Firefox, becoming more and more popular, is starting to show up on their radar to now, thanks to it's increasing popularity. Just this last month a Firefox vulnerability was released. It is also true though that the turnaround time for the patch was under a day (as opposed to the lengthy time MS takes).

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Been using Firefox for quite a while. Only use IE when I absolutely have to. No active-x installations like you have to worry about with IE.

Not only that but SpywareBlaster also works for the Mozilla/Netscape/Firefox type of browsers and stops spyware/tracking cookies with it also.

Firefox for about 6 months...my IE is still infected with some Adware that Ad-Aware and Spybot AND Pestcontrol don't catch and remove

Same here. After I recieved a massive spyware attack while using IE, I switched over to firefox and don't have any problems with spyware at all!

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

If you still have spyware on IE, you need to get rid of it. Use Hijackthis or Toolbar Cop to remove it.

As for Pest Patrol, it is CRAP!