radeon 9800xt sparkles and texture issue

Xoul

Ok... so I played CS:source beta. I also play Lineage 2. I noticed one night that there were sparkles starting to show up. I didn't really care much untill it looked like there were hundreds of them... and Textures started to look weird. So I opened up my display properties, and then the overdrive to see what temp it was. My video card was at 117. I freaked out because it normally never went over 90... So I opened my case layed it on its side and the video cards fan wasn't working at all. := So now... I have to order a custom cooler for it. Any suggestions?

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

First, do not use your vid card AT ALL until you get one.

The best place to ask because I honestly have never done that to my vid card other than water cooling, is at Rage3d.com or Driverheaven.net. Depending on how long you've had the card, I would recommend an RMA for a new one. Depending on how long it was over 100 degress, your vid card could be permanently damaged also.

Well, its not damaged... It only got up to 100 degress for a few minutes while I was playing...  And I had a window fan blowing air on it to make sure it was working right... and it worked fine.  anyway... I was thinking about getting this one. http://www.xoxide.com/cooler-master-cool-viva.html

I think I had the video card to long to get a RMA anyway... I've had it almost a year and a half.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Well make sure you have a the space next to your vid card free, usually a PCI slot because that beast is going to use that and then some probably. I think there are better solutions out there but that would work fine and looks like it uses heatpipes also.

Thirty six bucks! := I just rewired the measly 60mm fan that came with my AthlonXP to run at 7v and attached it to a K'nex (like Lego, but better) frame which is duct-taped to the case and kinda holds the fan below the video card (it was easier than actually attaching it to the video card). And that's just because the fan that came from Sapphire was too stinkin' loud.

Actually, along with my dead-PSU-fan case coolers, 92mm fan for my 80mm cpu heatsink, cut 'n' taped wires everywehre, and foam/rubber/packaging tape mounted hard disk, it's a wonder why I don't get myself a case window! :P

My computer: a disaster I'm proud of. ^_^

(edited)
Thirty six bucks! := I just rewired the measly 60mm fan that came with my AthlonXP to run at 7v and attached it to a K'nex (like Lego, but better) frame which is duct-taped to the case and kinda holds the fan below the video card (it was easier than actually attaching it to the video card). And that's just because the fan that came from Sapphire was too stinkin' loud.

Actually, along with my dead-PSU-fan case coolers, 92mm fan for my 80mm cpu heatsink, cut 'n' taped wires everywehre, and foam/rubber/packaging tape mounted hard disk, it's a wonder why I don't get myself a case window! :P

My computer: a disaster I'm proud of.  ^_^

I went ahead and bought it... I have extra cash now that I have to work 80 hours a week. Not the one I posted... the Arctic Cooling ATI Silencer 3. I hope it works out for me. Thanks for you input.

Edited by Xoul