Got crackling / popping sound?

Guest zerodamage

Seems there are some fixes here.  I haven't tried any of them yet but give this a read and see if they work for you.  I will report tomorrow evening on what works for me if any of them do.

http://www.steampowered.com/forums/showthr...15&pagenumber=1

Windows XP is a musicians nightmare. Basically, what happens by default in XP is that it uses ACPI mode to operate its peripherals. ACPI is a power management protocol that allows windows to control the various pieces of your computer. For example, power down the hard drive when idle, your cd rom, you monitor..etc. The manner it does this is what causes many people to experience "lags" in their computing experience when their system is under load. Hardware devices require something called "interupts". To manage these "interupts", they are assigned IRQ slots. What ACPI does is assign a whole bunch of devices to the same IRQ slot. What happens then is that when two devices...such as video and audio are used extensively at once, one of them gives in to the other. This will result in either tearing in video or popping/cracking in sound.

You can switch the mode from ACPI mode to "Standard PC" mode to solve this. Musicians who use a computer have been doing this for a couple of years since 2000 was released and it has been great.

Now...is this whats causing your problems? Probably. Is it definite? I don't know. So...take my advice with a grain of salt.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
That's another option.  In fact, the majority use a Mac.  But then again, I don't think ZD wants to throw his PC out and get a Mac.

Not today, no.