Question about Mobo & RAID Setup

Lunk

I'm looking into building another pc. I ran across this motherboard Asus and this cpu Athlon64

I've never dealt with a RAID setup before. What kinds of harddrives would I need for this? And can someone help me out with how to setup RAID? And also explain what RAID will do for me. I guess explain the benefits of it versus standard harddrive arrangement.

Thanks.

One more question. How do I go about setting up a dual processor pc?

I know this is asking alot in one post. But, I'm trying to gather as much info as possible before I start down that road of building another pc.

Most poeple that do RAID use SATA drives. RAID won't do much for you unless it's in a server config. For gaming and light office use it's a waste.

Dual cpu pc's are set up the same as single cpu pc's. What you listed isn't a dual cpu though.

Try to switch that stuff from 754 to 939, it's about the same price.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Raid is optional. You do not have to use it but can if you want.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
Motherboards may be close in price. But, CPU's are a bit more when you make that switch.

They are about the same. Zipzoomfly.com is ahead of Newegg on having Retail 939-pin CPU's right now and their price for the same cpu I have but mine is 754 is actually about 30 bucks cheaper.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...uctCode=80701-2

They are as good as Newegg. i use them as my alternative to Newegg and I use them to compare prices and pick the cheapest.

The problem you will have is finding a decent mobo. The chipsets for 939 and mobo selection seems to be slacking. You want an Nforce3 250Gb if possible since it is the best chipset for A64 right now. check out both sites and see what you can find.

uhhh... socket939 A64 3000+ is CHEAPER then socket754 A64 3000+ by more then $10 bucks. Believe what you will.

Where you lookin' at? Because it doesn't appear that way on newegg.

And that may be the case if you are buyin' OEM. I prefer to buy my cpu's retail.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

The only Retail At64 939 pin I can find that is under a 3500 A64 is the 3200 and that is on zipzoomfly. Go for it lunk.

You can also use RAID as simply extra IDE inputs. On my last mobo I had it and used it to keep my DVD and DVD R/W drives on separate channels, it's supposed to be more efficient for burning, can burn at faster speeds without problems.

I didnt realize the AMD64 was holding its value more than past chips, thats real close to what I paid for mine 3 months ago. The ZipZoomFly price seems to be the way to go.