Router Problems

Crowbar

The router I'm using belongs to the guy who rents a room from me, and his parent's bought it, so we have no documentation or software for it. It is a D-Link 5-port DSL/Cable router, model #DI-604 E.

The problem is, I can not access it through my computer or his. I have followed the instructions on the website tech-support section, even e-mailed D-Link about it, but nothing seems to work. I'm wondering if anyone out there has any tips to share from experiance.

I reset the router as instructed on the website, then after a few seconds, I tried to access it through the browser (typing in the ip). The dialouge box comes up asking for a user and password. As instructed by their website, I put in the default information (user: admin password: nothing (blank)). It won't let me leave the password field blank. I've tried actually typing in "nothing" but that doesn't work either. After entering the default info and pressing "Okay" multiple times (box just pops back up if there isn't a password) it will finally try to load the page for a second before displaying "Error 401."

I need to open some ports so any help would be appreciated.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Try resetting again and hold that paper clip or needle into the button for a good 10+ seconds. Then wait for it to come back up and try again. the ip address will then reset itself (192.168.0.1) and then just "admin" as the username, no password and good luck.

works fine for connecting to the internet, even downloading over the open ports. Downloading off http sites like Fileplanet I get between 300kbps and 3mbps.

I just can't get in to the router to open some ports I want open for BitTorrent and so I can host Warcraft III games.

You may have some how got a password put in there. You can go to d-link web and check and see if there is new firmware for the router. I also have a d-link 704 and I had to do this with mine. If that does not work check warcraft web to make sure your ethernet card is compatible with thier servers. Found out that was the problem I had with some other servers. Also try hooking up your pc directley to the modem and check if it lets you in that way. Had a problem with xbox dowloadable content and had to hook the xbox directly to my modem to get it, couldn't get it through the router.

Check for the firmware first. Always start with the simple things :D

Edited by Primus

it'd be kind of hard to type a password or upgrade the firmwire when you get a

error unauthorized when typing in the routers IP address.

Use the reset switch on the back of the router.....if that doesnt work, then Id get a new router :boing:

Edited by NOFX

actually my guess is that you saved the username/password when you tried to access it the first time, so your web browswer trys to log you onto whatever you tried last, which didnt work....

use a different browswer such as firefox, its better than IE anyways....and just type "admin" as your username and no password. I bet it will work

You can also try other stupid combinations like admin / admin, or blank / blank. The DI - 604 has traditionally been admin / [blank] as the site says, but I'd try other combinations in case a firmware upgrade changed the default password.

Failing that, be sure you're doing a hard reset and not just a soft reset. That'll ensure the password is reset to default.

All of this doesn't work? New router. Something in the firmware's crapped. You'll never be able to open a port short of some trick work-arounds...Though you might look for a telnet administration mode or try using https://192.168.x.x to get in, perhaps the secure port or the telnet port won't crap out on you. Just thought of that, some routers have one or the other.