New ATI X850 Cards released

Guest zerodamage

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Unfortunately, they are all PCI -Express right now. We should see AGP versions in January or so. BUT, I say do not buy any of these. Let them drive down the prices of the regular XT and pro's and pick them up instead. The performance difference is minimal. They are the same exact cards just clocked a little higher. Should have some choices though once the AGP versions hit the market.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

It is also looking like the "XL" will be better than the Pro at a lower price. Remember though, these are all PCI-e until next year. ATI is also doing away with the X800 XT and X800 XTPE cards. Basically they are being replaced by the X850 XT (same as X800 XT PE) and the X850 XTPE is like a faster XTPE but by only a little.

Is it safe to then say that our current x800 series can safely be overclocked to match the x850? I doubt that they tooled up to make a completely new product this soon, it's most likely based on current stuff no?

I have X800 XT Platinum

If it is safe, any info you have on doing it would be appreciated, I prefer first hand knowledge over articles, it feels safer to do when you know someone who has had success.

Thanx..

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Well I can tell you that if you already own an x800 series card that getting one of these new ones would be a straight up waste of money.

I'm looking at getting the x800 PRO, it's the only one that seems remotely close to my price range. I've read a few articles on various sources that say that PCIe is the wave of the future when it comes to video cards. Does the PCIe squeeze out more performance from vid cards? Is it worth it to wait for the PCIe cards to drop in price? The x800 pro is AGP atm I beliveve.

Thanks

Edited by Slimmage

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

PCI-e has much higher bandwidth than AGP and will eventually replace AGP and the old PCI bus. AGP was created because the PCI bus was too small for graphics cards. PCI-e can do both video and regular devices.

If your up for a new system build anyways, i would say yes, go for PCIe, but if you just need a vid card I would stick with AGP instead of buying a new mobo (in case you didnt know, PCIe will not work in regular PCI slot).

As for faster, yes, but they say that there arent any games out yet that need that kind of bandwidth. The basic difference is like all the info traveling on a small road compared to an 8 lane highway, and PCIe is bidirectional, can go both ways at once.

Thanks for the responses guys! i guess my other question is that currently I'm running on a P4 2.4ghz and 512mbDDR ram. Will I be able to run the X800Pro to its full capacity or will subsequent upgrades be needed to bring up the performance?

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
Thanks for the responses guys!  i guess my other question is that currently I'm running on a P4 2.4ghz and 512mbDDR ram.  Will I be able to run the X800Pro to its full capacity or will subsequent upgrades be needed to bring up the performance?

Not full capacity, but still better than what you have right now.

Not full capacity, but still better than what you have right now.

In my opinion your best performance booster would come by upgrading your ram to another 512 ( total of a Gig) or higher. It's amazing how big of a difference comes from that switch.

Also if you are looking for a PCI-e card go to the refurb section of Newegg's website. People who should be on the short bus are buying them left and right unaware that they can't use em in thier current PCs lo then they get an RMA and pay a 15% restock fee.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

I am not sure what you have now for a vid card Slim or even a system for that matter but going from an older generation Nvidia or ATI card, such as a Geforce4 or Radeon 9500 type of card to an x800 is a huge boost, more so than an additional 512MB. BUT some games love the extra 512MB like HL2 and Doom3.

well I'm currently on a GF4 MX 440 which was a pertty good card 3 years ago. Needless to say its time for an upgrade. Another option would be I guess going for a 9800 series card. A local computer dealer is selling a 9800 Pro 256mb for around 300 opposed to the x800pro's 600 dollar price tag. I heard that the performance of the x800 nearly doubles that of the 9800 series. Is that true? Are the games, such as HL2, even capapble of utlilizing the extra power?