Getting excessive choke!

General J

Dunno if it is just my DSL being new, since SBC seems to want you to leave it on constantly for 2-3 weeks to "optimize connection." Guess they try to find the fastest gateway for you? Dunno, but I will be playing and randomly have 0 choke. Then it jumps up anywhere from 25-40, and then goes back to 0 for a few seconds. Never had this problem with my cable service at my parents house, but more importantlly, never had this problem with regular old CS. Maybe just an issue with netcode? Any ideas/comments (helpful smart ones, Goot...)?

I get the same choke problems also....

and I've checked/rechecked all my rates, ect....

Same here. I have played around with my rates to no end. In old cs, I would just use 999999 and would never have choke or loss. I have tried 25000, 20000, 999999, you name it and I have probably tried it. Don't know what is going on. It's not unplayable, I just wonder if it is severly affecting my game though. Seems like I shoot someone 50 bazillion times and I die in their first 3 shots.

On another note, I have tried most of the tweaks and such, and some seem to help a little bit. But not with the choke problem. :blink:

I recommend and use the following:

rate 8000

cl_updaterate 30

cl_cmdrate 60

xgamingservers.com servers default to a rate of 8000 so you are capped there anyways, unless the bastard who is fat changed it to the maximum allowed 10000.

Edited by DJ Premier

i have the same problem but i believe that it is my school connection along with source that is causing it

i used to get only abot 2-5 choke with 1.6 here at school (at home i would get 0..all the time) but with source i get 30 and higher almost always

cl_rate 20000

rate 25000

cl_cmdrate 100

cl_updaterate 100

Try that. If the server is capped, it won't matter to you. You can tweak updaterate to help reduce choke (decrease the value)

cl_rate is important as well.