Christmas COmputer

gOOters

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests

Well, I am here to follow up on my last post. For one, i wouldn't touch a GF4 or GF3. The best value for you money that supports future game with DX9, you want the Radeon 9500 pro. The GF3 and 4 are all DX8.1 cards.

As for a mobo. If you want the new 333 FSB mobo's for AMD, then get an NForce-2 mobo or wait a while for VIA's KT400a chipset.

The best value for your money right now is the nforce-2 mobo's. Onboard sound kicks donkey and onboard ethernet which is better than a PCI board. Much less load on the CPU.

If you are getting the Nforce-2 which is what i recommend you get, then you want an XP cpu that can handle the 333 fsb. Now the xp2400 is not 333 fsb but it will run on the board. The other CPU's are "locked' and will not. so choose a 2600 or 2800 XP cpu if at all possible.

You also want PC2700 RAM. why? that would put the RAM and CPU at sync. And with RAM, you want CAS 2.0 RAM. the Nforce-2 can agressively time your RAM for the extra performance. Which is sweet (I have seen it first hand, very fun stuff). check my post above for more information.

And the GF3 is not any good for future games. skip it. go to the next level. either get a radeon 9500 pro or better, or wait and see how the new GF FX cards will do and cost. February or so.

Good Luck.

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests
On board sound is good?  Does it come with all the ports (front,back, mic, input?)  I've never even considered it.  It's better than these soundblasters?

The onboard sound of the Nforce-2 has all of those mic inputs, etc. It is as good as say an Audigy Gamer or Sound Blaster Live 5.1. It is actually better than the Live 5.1 but in the middle ground. It doesn't have all of the inputs and etc that the Audigy 2 Platinum has but unless you do professional sound mixing and etc, you do not need it. When I get an Nforce-2, i am puting my Sound Blaster Live Gamer right into my old system. It is better on CPU in regards to Load time, etc.

Guest Shertown-Pimp
Guest Shertown-Pimp
Guest Shertown-Pimp
Guests

No matter how good you think your computer is it cant compete with my MASSIVE RIG! here's the specs:

Compaq Presario

900 mghz AMD Athlon

128 mb Ram

8mb TNT2 ! w00t w00t

Windows ME

30 GIG HD

and the most l337 56k MicroModem.......

okay bow down to my awesome machine

To put them on the front, the mobo must have a header for usb or firewire, the specs will tell you that (some boards call them headers; others just connectors).

Basically, it's a 4 or 6 (can't remember exactly) wire plug that runs from the mobo to the front ports. If you have to buy the ports, they'll come with the wire. You may also have to enable them thru a jumper or bios.

Cool case :)

EDIT: looks like pic #7 on that link shows the wires that connect to the mobo.

Didnt read all the replies, but I use www.pricewatch.com for the cheapest prices on the net. Also www.resellerratings.com for guides on wat internet shops are reliable, also resellerratings has their own search for product and they will lists prices, and show you the reliablility of the resellers based on user reviews. And I remember www.tweak3d.net has a computer building guide.