My 2nd help thread...

Heartless

I have a twinhead laptop computer which is brand-freaking-new running Windows XP Home and I have to hooked up to my Motorola cable modem through USB (cause i want my networking port free) (I also have that slot to stick in a card thingy, but I don't wanna).. I have my networking cord hooked into my laptop and my PC (running windows XP pro) and for some reason, my computers wont talk to eachother! My PC is an HP :( which explains some of its poopiness... but... it says connected on both sides, I've run the wizards a billion times.... I've run cmd and tried to ping and it wont even ping!

I've even gone into advanced LAN properties and checked the little box that says "Allow other network users to connected through this computer's internet connection"

I've named the network the same, I've made sure the computer's names were accurate and I've asked 2 of the best geeks I know! One being my brother, who spent 2 hours trying to figure it out, and couldn't. He's in college for this stuff and makes a lot of money off it part time.. he still didn't know.

So I plea with you geeks....

HELP ME! because this is how it makes me feel -> :bang::bang::bang::bang:

Edited by Heartless

Hopefully the computers are not connected directly together. If they are you need a crossover cable.

The crossover cable has the tx and rx (Transmit and Recieve) wires switched, which allows the cable to actaully work (when connected to two computers).

A regual network cable WILL NOT WORK, unless you are using a hub / router, somthing of that nature.

Edited by Acid-Flux

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
Hopefully the computers are not connected directly together. If they are you need a crossover cable.

The crossover cable has the tx and rx (Transmit and Recieve) wires switched, which allows the cable to actaully work (when connected to two computers).

A regual network cable WILL NOT WORK, unless you are using a hub / router, somthing of that nature.

What Acid said. You really should be using a router for the firewall protection when using high speed internet. This will also solve your networking issues. Ethernet to Ethernet though does require a cross over cable.

Well, you're not going to ping back and forth unless there are IP addresses assigned. I don't know anything about the Internet Connection Sharing, so someone else needs to address that...It may very well be a feature that's supposed to handle.

Let's start at the beginning:

Cable modem -> USB

Laptops <--> RJ-45

First, do the following:

ping localhost

Do you get something?

Okay, get the machine names and try:

ping computername

See if that works. That can diagnose some windows networking issues.

Next, try Start | Search | For Files or Folders, then select search for computers (or something like that) and look up the other computer by name. Luck?

For them to talk, I've had the best success when a folder is shared on both computers. Make sure some folder is shared on each computer, that can cause problems.

Let me know what you find. Oh, and the others are right...I would definitely put everything behind a firewall. It's pretty much a necessary level of security this day and age, and with the switch and DHCP server built-in, your computers can usually network pretty easily. Best of luck!

Sure can! Linksys, D-Link, Netgear and Motorola all are reputable brands (depending on who you ask in these forums ;) ) and all are to be had for under $100, even sometimes in G. In addition, there are often rebates to be had. Shop around if you buy your toys in brick-and-mortar stores (or get the sunday paper and check the ads) or a simple googling online and a romp through your favorite e-stores will show plenty of deals.

Hopefully you do know that $100 wont buy you a wireless router and 2 wireless cards.

And also, wirless routers dont work well in apts (becuase the walls are usually made of conctete), and try to stay away from having the router in your basement and then having an access point 2 leves up in a house.

I tried doing that and it was slooowww to say the least, so I went back to regular RJ cabling.

Edited by Acid-Flux

Oh, btw. After I said you cant get the combo for under $100, I thought id check for sure and I found these deals over at BestBuy

D-Link AirPlus G 802.11g Wireless Desktop Card

Model: DWL-G510

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id...mcat25300050002

wireless card is $50, then you get $30 MIR

AND

D-Link AirPlus G 802.11g Wireless Router

Model: DI-524

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id...01&type=product

Price $60 then you get a $40 MIR

Edited by Acid-Flux

(edited)

thank you so much for checking that out for me!!

my laptop already has a card i think...

*checks the intel inside sticker* yeah...

I haven't gone shopping yet.. but I'm really excited to.

Also, I do live in an apt, and the walls are brick.. but I'm going to have the router in my room, so it shouldn't be a problem. I just hope my neighbors don't decide to tap in.. hahah im kidding.

Thank you all so much for your help.

Edited by Heartless

Just make sure you use the wireless MAC address limitation. It will allow you to lock your router down so only your network cards can access it.

You can also enable encryption which helps...and you can turn off the SSID broadcast which also helps people from seeing your network.

Today was the day!

I'm wireless!!!

It ended up snowing really badly today RIGHT before I got my router, I went to best buy and they didn't have the motorola I wanted, so I got netgear...

i was really in a hurry.. I ended up getting the one for 108 mbps which my card doesn't do.... but... oh well... And I ended up paying 79.99 (but I have a $20 mail in rebate) which is still pretty high for a wireless router...

but you know what? I'm typing this is my kitchen. So I'm cool with it. ;)