Fat32 ->> NTFS

Slimmage

I'm contimplating buying an external hard drive for my laptop but the one I've been eyeing comes preformatted as Fat32. I've heard from many a source that NTFS is the preferred type, especially for backup and such. If that is the case could someone provide me with some sort of guide as to how I can go about reformatting the drive to NTFS? I'm a bit of a hardware technopeasant :bang:

Thanks

i dunno dude. I have a 160 gig external drive that is formatted Fat32. I personally like it because linux will regonize it. I wouldnt worry about, but if you must, use parition magic, or just start a windows installation and format the drive and then stop this installation. that is what i would do.

http://www.ntfs.com/quest3.htm

You can convert the drive,

or re-format it....

(right-click) My Computer > Manage > Disk Management > (right-click) the external drive and select "Format" > Choose whether you want a "Quick Format" or "Enable File and Folder Compression".

or

if it is listed as a drive in My computer, start menu, or desktop icon, right click it, select format, select ntfs from the choices and format it.

try that...

Yeah, it's easy to reformat. Just connect it and do as SupaFly said or open up Computer Management, Disk Management, and do it there.

For my Ext. HD, I left it Fat32 to make it more compatible with both Windows and Linux as well as OS X (buddy of mine uses that primarily).

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

There is also a command to convert fat32 to ntfs without having to format. Just use windows help and do a Convert to ntfs type of search and you will find it.