Another Quake?

linch

Earthquake measuring 8.2 reported off coast of Indonesia on same fault line as quake that caused December’s deadly tsunami. Details soon.
from CNN.

Man, these people are not getting a break. :mad:

please do not read this, weak at heart!!!

I (again) am gonna be a little less sorry about this whole mishap. poop happens all the time, and the way an individual deals with it is their own fate!

that regin of the world has been hit by tsunamis for 1000's of years. the only difference in any of them has been their size. the dec. tsunami was a big one, granted, but if you know one is comming you should probably get away! right? thats was not the case that time! and my proof is this time!!! yesterday i watched hunderds of thousands of people pack up and ship out!! in a hurry, why??, because they had a warning?? no!! because last time they went to the beach to watch the big waves come in... a day or 2 later they had to watch mommy, daddy or maybe the kids washed up on the beach! they had a warning last time! they just didn't listen to it!!!!!

did anyone else wonder why they went for having absolutely no warning system to a warning system that can evacuate a whole country in 2 and a 1/2 months????I sure did!!

and as for indonesia, well, they were handing out candy in the streets when the world trade centers were crashed into by suicide bombers. so......please read here......since i'm not handing out candy over this earth quake, i guess i'm being the better person!!

this is my opinion sorry if you disagree, sorry!

that regin of the world has been hit by tsunamis for 1000's of years

Chewy has a point. The region has been subject to tremendous tsunami and quake activity in the past, and will continue to be. If you study the indigenous population of these countries, you will see that their settlements are generally located a long distance from the coast, and usually on elevated ground. Unlike the people who currently make up the majority of the population - those who place value on proximity to the water, living on the beach, etc.

It will be interesting to see how the people and governments adapt.

I think that another interesting piece of information to come out with the preliminary reports of the quake is that the majority of the buildings that were damaged were the more modern buildings - those made out of concrete and steel. The older structures, especially those made out of wood, were able to withstand, absorb, or flex with the movement of the earth.

One imagines the building codes out there aren't as strenuous as they are here. Concrete and steel structures in geologically risky locations usually (though I won't feign comprehensive knowledge) have building codes that specifically address energy absorption from geologic events, as do coastal areas for residences to resist high waters, etc. (though there's only so much a small house can do to resist, say, a hurricane...).

Recall not too long ago in our country's history we've had some near-disastrous (and occasionally disastrous) failures of infrastructure due to environmental conditions.