MrDuke

For those of you not familiar with the Yahoo setup, pitching schedules are handled with carats(^). Look ahead a few days and you'll see who's scheduled to pitch. I think it goes out a max of 4-5 days so be careful when you go on vacation.

PM me and I'll cover your weekend pitching...unless it's Rev :).

<Duke continues to develop the master plan to reach #1. He might call himself a Super Genius after all>

BTW, my highest ERA for the WEEK is 31.xx. The battlescars are still fresh...

Has anyone done worse?

I'm sure I have but my very convenient amnesia has blocked it from my memory.

I am very lackluster in starting pitching. For the start of the season I am contemplating just using two of my starters and let the other ones sit.

Btw, Bonderman opens against my royals next week. This is the only thing I hate about fantasy baseball. Do I root for my ace pitcher or do I root for my team? Maybe I could hope for a complete shutout and then we win in overtime? Very unlikely scenario with Lima openeing for the Royals. Of course he did shut out the cards on the playoffs.

I'm sure I have but my very convenient amnesia has blocked it from my memory.

I am very lackluster in starting pitching. For the start of the season I am contemplating just using two of my starters and let the other ones sit.

Btw, Bonderman opens against my royals next week. This is the only thing I hate about fantasy baseball. Do I root for my ace pitcher or do I root for my team? Maybe I could hope for a complete shutout and then we win in overtime? Very unlikely scenario with Lima openeing for the Royals. Of course he did shut out the cards on the playoffs.

I'm thinking about playing my relievers only. I could trade some pitchers (hint,hint,fish,fish) for some better bats.

I'm thinking about playing my relievers only.  I could trade some pitchers (hint,hint,fish,fish) for some better bats.

You would have to be insane to sit your starters!! Besides, I don't think you could. You only have a couple relievers.

Who wouldn't want a rotation of Santan, Sheets, Schilling, Smoltz and Peavy? There is no way you are going to lose in W's, L's, K's, or even SHO's!

Going to have to think about my stratagy facing that pitching staff. Should I only use relievers and take saves and possibly ERA, and the longshot WHIP?

Ok, OK! nevermind me, Duke. I really agree, its a great strategy sitting your starters. I probably wouldn't even get one win on the pitching side. :thumbsup:

(edited)

Interesting idea, but I don't think it will work.

A reliever comes in for 1/3 or 2/3 of an inning, gives up a hit, a walk, then gets a SO or the guy to GIDP. But his WHIP will be huge, he might not get the win... If he gives up a run or two in 1/3 of an inning - there goes your ERA.

I suppose if your starters are terrible it might not be bad, but otherwise..

I don't know. Prove me wrong! But not when you're playing me... :D

BTW - Are we the only three that are as interested in this as, well, we are? :huh2:

Edited by whudats

You are right Who( ;) ), that theory has a great deal of risk so I don't use it too often. When I try it, I end up with a reliever giving up 3 runs or so my ERA skyrockets! Relievers do not always = low ERA.

BTW, I also hold the record for having an ERA of infinity (~). Last year I had Mesa and he gave up like 8 runs without recording an out. He didn't even last 1/3 of an inning.

Once people see Rev take a beating, there will be some interest...trust me.

I can't wait for the Mini / M2 showdown!!

My pitchers are getting rocked in the preseason. Every one of them that has the little news paper thing next to it has had like an ERA of 5 in the last couple of games. One guy got rocked by 2 HRs in 2/3 of an inning in the minors.

Ok, another newb question. From reading the first post in this thread, are you saying I'm supposed to change my pitchers each day depending on who's pitching that day?

Ok, another newb question. From reading the first post in this thread, are you saying I'm supposed to change my pitchers each day depending on who's pitching that day?

I think so. You can do the same with your hitters as well. That's why, when you look at the top of the "Your Team" screen (I think), you can select 4-6 days into the future. You can set your line-up for those days in advance by looking at the schedule.

A pitcher will get at most 2 starts in a week. If you rotate your selected starters you should have more "starts" during the week.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...please?

:biggrin:

My pitchers are getting rocked in the preseason.  Every one of them that has the little news paper thing next to it has had like an ERA of 5 in the last couple of games.  One guy got rocked by 2 HRs in 2/3 of an inning in the minors.

Ok, another newb question.  From reading the first post in this thread, are you saying I'm supposed to change my pitchers each day depending on who's pitching that day?

Sorry to hear about your pitchers (muahahaha). Whudats nailed it on the head. Each day needs scheduled. Batters are pretty easy--all you have to watch for are days off.

Pitchers are another story. Yahoo tells you when they pitch up to 5 days in advance. If your pitcher is scheduled to pitch on that day, make sure he's in your lineup.

Ex: Today is Friday. I want to know when Smoltz is pitching so I click the Sat link and look for a "^" next to his name. Sat has nothing, so I click on the Sunday link. Sunday and Monday have nothing so I click the Tuesday link. Tuesday has a "^" so I know I have to have him as a SP on Tuesday and I can leave him on the bench until then.

Additionally, I have J Damon sitting on the bench and I noticed on Tuesday I don't have any bats playing so I might consider playing him on Tuesday.

Do not be intimidated by the lack of MLB teams playing and the scheduling nightmare it creates. Opening week MLB tries to spread it out so setting your lineup gets tough. After the first week or two, things get MUCH simpler. I usually set my lineup once on Sunday and once on Thursday and once we roll into the season, you can usually set your weekly lineup once a week.

I'll throw a trade at you to take some of those awful pitchers off your hands.

Dangit, I had this whole thing typed out and did some accidental key pushing and it all dissapeared. :bang:

Ok, so more newb questions. So, is the goal to get the most starts or at bats for each player in a week? I mean, do the stats add up, or are they an average for the week? If the guy I'm playing's pitchers have twice as many starts in a week than mine, wouldn't that make it easier for him to beat me in that category simply on the fact that he has more chances? I understand that he would also risk a higher ERA by pitching more that week, but I'm just trying to get a feel for how this works. Can someone please elaborate?

How do trades and players work? I mean, so since the season has started, can we now only trade for players within the 8 teams? Or, if we find someone that is out there, but not on any of the 8 teams in our league, can we trade for them?

Dangit, I had this whole thing typed out and did some accidental key pushing and it all dissapeared.    :bang:

Ok, so more newb questions.  So, is the goal to get the most starts or at bats for each player in a week?  I mean, do the stats add up, or are they an average for the week?  If the guy I'm playing's pitchers have twice as many starts in a week than mine, wouldn't that make it easier for him to beat me in that category simply on the fact that he has more chances?  I understand that he would also risk a higher ERA by pitching more that week, but I'm just trying to get a feel for how this works.  Can someone please elaborate?

How do trades and players work?  I mean, so since the season has started, can we now only trade for players within the 8 teams?  Or, if we find someone that is out there, but not on any of the 8 teams in our league, can we trade for them?

Good questions.

Typically, yes, you want your good bats scheduled all the time. The only time you take them out is if they are not playing that day. The next question is, is the guy you are going to plug into his spot going to hurt you or help you? If he bats .240 and going up against Schilling, I would probably just leave that spot open. If he bats .300 and is going up against an average pitcher, I would plug him in.

The stats are compiled over the whole week so maybe on Monday your HR count is 3, Tuesday,W,TH you get 5 more so you're up to 8 going into Sat. If your opponent has 10 then you need to start as many HR hitters as you can. If your opponent only has 2, then I would see where Im losing (maybe stolen bases) and switch a HR hitter for a base stealer to try and catch up.

Pitching is similar. If I'm rolling into Saturday and I'm losing 'Wins' by 3 and I only have 2 pitchers scheduled to pitch, there is no way I can win that category. I would then focus on ERA. If the ERAs are close and I have great pitchers going into the weekend, I start them. If it's close and my pitchers are below average or have a tough matchup, I may sit them and, hopefully, let my opponent hurt himself. Lastly, if it's close and my pitchers are average...I flip a coin.

Until you get comfortable, schedule as many people as you can and watch how things unfold. You will pick it up quick.

Keep 'em coming. I'm sure there are PLENTY of other people with the same questions.

Pitching is similar. If I'm rolling into Saturday and I'm losing 'Wins' by 3 and I only have 2 pitchers scheduled to pitch, there is no way I can win that category.  I would then focus on ERA.  If the ERAs are close and I have great pitchers going into the weekend, I start them.  If it's close and my pitchers are below average or have a tough matchup, I may sit them and, hopefully, let my opponent hurt himself.  Lastly, if it's close and my pitchers are average...I flip a coin.

Until you get comfortable, schedule as many people as you can and watch how things unfold.  You will pick it up quick.

Keep 'em coming.  I'm sure there are PLENTY of other people with the same questions.

So, if I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. Say my first pitcher of the week pitches a no-hitter, do I sit my pitchers the rest of the week and claim the ERA for that week?

Woot....just got a ticket to opening day for the Rockies here Monday!!!

So, if I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum.  Say my first pitcher of the week pitches a no-hitter, do I sit my pitchers the rest of the week and claim the ERA for that week?

Woot....just got a ticket to opening day for the Rockies here Monday!!!

You could but you'd give up wins and Ks for sure. I'd probably keep 'em all playing.

Alright!! Opening day tick...oh...the Rockies...sorry to hear about that.

Not to sound demanding, just inquisitive, but did you see this question and are looking for the answer or did you miss it?

How do trades and players work?  I mean, so since the season has started, can we now only trade for players within the 8 teams?  Or, if we find someone that is out there, but not on any of the 8 teams in our league, can we trade for them?

(edited)

You can pick up a guy from the Free Agent list according to the waiver rules.

Trades can be made between teams already. Just "Propose Trade" somewhere on the "Your Team" page and give it a shot.

BTW - I like Coors Field. We went to a bunch of games when I was stationed at Ft. Carson...

:thumbsup:

Edited by whudats

You can now trade or add free agents or make claims over the waiverwire.

First, if you want to trade or add a player by any means, go to your team page and click on 'add a player'. You are then presented with a list of free agents that you have access to. I just added Drese this way yesterday. He has had a great spring! But he is facing a tough challeng on opening day (facing aces so its harder to get a win) plus a tough lineup (Angels) and not at home. So I MIGHT sit him but I usually just play all my guys as much as I can.

IF you want to make a trade, search for the player and he will pop up and you can then propose a trade to his owner. M2 just made a very intriguing offer to me. Going to have to think it over for sure.

Another thing to watch in making out your lineups and bench, look up your guys' split stats. Last year I had Blalock and that guy is a monster against righties. His average (in 2003) was great against lrighties and astounding at home. So I made sure to play him especially in those situations. I had another third baseman that I used at other times. Of course ol' Hank progressed in his battaing vs. lefties and I had him sitting for some very productive games.

Just play your BIG guys all the time you can. If you are weak at a position, get a guy that can really handle himself vs a righty and complement him with a decent switch hitter. So everytime he faces a tough lefty put the switch hitter in. I really don't have any good platoons working for me right now, I have the 'decen't' switch hitter (figgens) but haven't located the guy with extraodinary split stats.

Edited by ConGregation