Xbox Modding

Cyklik

Having just purchased a refurbished xbox, I'm planning on spending a little cash to mod it. I have 2 questions for any seasoned owners/modders:

1) What chip is the best all around?

2) I'm not confident enough in my soldering skills and would rather not take it somewhere to have it done, so am I going to lose functionality or quality by getting a solderless modchip?

Oh, in case it helps, I'm planning on getting XBMC, throwing in a new HD, and FTPing music, movies, etc. to it.

• 2 months later...

Yeah I have one of the old matrix chips that required no soldering and it works ok...the pins move around with the changing temperature so sometimes my box needed a swift smack so that it would boot properly...so my recomendation is to go onto xbox-scene and search their "modders" section for a modder near you and get them to do the soldering, you'll be much happier

oh and if you put a bigger hd in there i also recommend more advanced cooling options

Guest TwIsTed
Guest TwIsTed
Guest TwIsTed
Guests

Solderless chips have come a long way and are much more stable now, so they should be a good choice for you.

As for chip brand, I have stuck with the xecuter series of chips but I cant compare for you since I have no experience with other brands. I have done modded 4 xboxs with the xecuter chips.