MPG File Compression

hm.. Maybe Video Mach II

You can load in pics, videos and audio and create new ones.

You can also set the output quality settings and all.

I don't have a link handy but I'm sure if you search for video mach it'll come up.

It may take some time to create the new ones though, just fyi

GC Alumni
(edited)

are you trying to make these playable on a dvd player, or on any pc?

i use dvd shrink regularly for making backups of my dvd movies, which i can then watch on a standalone or boxtop dvd player. you can find free it at http://www.dvdshrink.org.

pm or aim me if you have any questions on how to use it.

Edited by stuttering.john

I just want it to be able to play on the computer. I have DVD Shrink but it isn't recognizing the mpg filetype. I tried the Mach II prog and the best I can do with that is to knock it down to 1.5 gig. Which really isn't helping much.

John, if you can tell me how to get shrink to recognize the mpg file type, its interface is pretty easy to use.

Thanks guys.

ps. if you to encode it with divx I am sure i can put it on my ftp so you can *borrow* it.

Not sure what you're getting at here...are you trying to say I'm doing something illegal? :unsure:

Anyway, I used that Mach II program and told it I wanted to resave the file in DIVX and it told me the new file was going to be 85 Gigs.... :o

I think I just have no clue what I'm doing here. LOL

No no, nothing illigal. Just if you wanted the program I am sure I can lend you the copy that I have.

And 85Gig, i dont see how that is possible, must have something incorrectly set.

Oh, I understand now. I thought you were implying that to share my recorded show would be piracy or something.

Anyway, I'm not sure what program you are talking about me borrowing? The Mach II has a 30-day trial. As far as something set wrong, you are probably right. I have yet to foray into the digital video recording area yet. All I know is that I went into Mach II, told it the source file, then told it to save. It gave me a myriad of options to save to and chose DIVX. There were many other things I could change as well...ie audio, color depth, etc. I left them all where they were and the little box said ending file 85 Gb?

If you have any suggestions on another way to go about this, I'm appreciative and all ears.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
(edited)

I use Windows Media Encoder myself. The quality is as good as Divx when the proper settings are used and about 1/4th the size.

Here is the link and I will then give you the process that I use.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...er/default.aspx

Once you install it, you want to use the "Convert File" option, then chose the file that you want to convert.

Select the location and file name in the bottom field, this will be the resulting file after it is converted.

I normall choose the option titled: Web Server (Progressive Download). I then chose the sound as CD sound and the quality of video (the top option) depends on where and how he is watching them. If he is watching them on his computer and wants it full screen, then I would say the DVD quality option. If he doens't mind watching it in a small window about 1/4 the size of his screen, then the VHS option may be best. You can also use FM sound to get a smaller file and the sound isn't too bad.

You may wonna experiment on a high quality file just like the ones you want to convert but much smaller as the process can take a while on slower computers.

Some examples of what VHS and FM audio look and sound like.

http://www.zerodamage.com/gc/video/

Edit: Even in full screen, those above are not too bad. Probably a little bit higher of a setting will fix that right up so it will be very clear. Those small file sizes are about 5 times smaller if not more so than what the equivilant (sp) Divx format looks.

Edited by zerodamage .gc