Out like a fat kid playing dodgeball!!!!

Guest TOOL

Guest TOOL
Guest TOOL
Guest TOOL
Guests

well just wanted to let everyone know that I'm not going to be playing for the next few days... ran into some problems with my computer... i think i might have narrowed it down to the processor eating it...

if anyone know anything about computers you could maybe help... my mobo gives post codes for startup, and error checking and whatnot... anyway.. i get a post code that means: check core CPU voltage. and the system will shut down. anyway so I'm pretty sure it's the processor... anyway i will be back online maybe Thursday night.. anyway... you guys have fun!!

GC Alumni
(edited)
well just wanted to let everyone know that I'm not going to be playing for the next few days... ran into some problems with my computer... i think i might have narrowed it down to the processor eating it...

if anyone know anything about computers you could maybe help... my mobo gives post codes for startup, and error checking and whatnot... anyway.. i get a post code that means: check core CPU voltage. and the system will shut down. anyway so I'm pretty sure it's the processor... anyway i will be back online maybe Thursday night.. anyway... you guys have fun!!

that sounds like a perfect reason to "load bios defaults."

sounds like there was some overclocking gone bad.

if you post your EXACT MOBO MODEL i'll be glad to look up the manual and give you more specific instructions. if you do not know the model, open the case (powered off, of course) and look for a silkscreen MFG-MDL# (like xxx-xxxx) between the pci slots.

Edited by stuttering.john

Guest TOOL
Guest TOOL
Guest TOOL
Guests

my MOBO is the ABIT AN7.

and that was a good guess on the overclocking gone bad... lol..

Here are specs:

AMD athlon 2400xp 2 GHz

ABIT AN7 MoBo.

ATI Radeon 9600pro 128mb

1.25 gig of ram

Don't know what else you will need. I've tried clearing the CMOS several times...

When i power on i get post codes through the mobo, nothing shows on screen, the codes i get mean: check cpu core voltage.. "The CPU is what i was overclocking" but i had the CPU on normal speeds for a week before this happend.

I think there might have been a short in the system or something. .because when i would flip the switch to turn on my neon lights, my on screen stuff would get all screwed up... Also the computer will shut down after about 5 seconds now, and nothing shows on screen... i think it's the processor due to the black mark that is showed on the bottom of the CPU...

Thanks For all the help.. :)

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Yeah, sounds like your CPU went out. I was going to recommend a CMOS clearing via the Jumper. I had an AN7, went through 3 of them. Junk motherboard in my opinion. I liked my Epox 8RDA+ the best for Nforce-2 boards. Lightning made sure I did not use that again.

Your issue may also be a failing PSU. That is always a possibility but with a black spot on your cpu, that is most likely the problem.

Guest TOOL
Guest TOOL
Guest TOOL
Guests

yeah the mobo could be better lol... but it works for now... yeah that blackspot isn't real dark.. it's kinda like what you see with a dead light bulb.. anyway there is a replacement CPU for 120 that is pretty much the same processor, just higher FSB. so i'm going to get that in a couple of days... just to get playing, and until i can afford the amd 64 i want...

also i tried a couple PSUs.. same result.. one was a 300 watt. and one was a 500 watt.. anway same result.. sucks.. but we can get through these hard times!!!!

Guest TOOL
Guest TOOL
Guest TOOL
Guests

the power supply that i'm using is a 500w... i had a temp gage, and a switch installed close to each other.. and when i would hit the switch to turn the neon lights on my temp guage would go out, and my screen would get all messed up... anyway...

GC Alumni
(edited)
the power supply that i'm using is a 500w... i had a temp gage, and a switch installed close to each other.. and when i would hit the switch to turn the neon lights on my temp guage would go out, and my screen would get all messed up... anyway...

i don't know _anything_ about case mods, lights, etc. i'm an oldskooler holding true to my oversized file server tower. if i were troubleshooting the machine, i'd disconnect any non essential devices to isolate the problem. you can then piece the puzzle back together ONE AT A TIME to pinpoint it.

like i said before, i'd recommend setting bios settings back to factory default. i'm not sure how you're clearing cmos (removing battery, jumpering, etc.), but to reset the bios, hit "del" at boot time, then from the main screen choose "load fail-safe defaults." adjust the settings you undrestand (only), and leave things like multipliers, frequency, and clock rate alone.

if the black is on the bottom of your processor (at the socket, not where the heatsink contacts), that's a bad, bad sign.

ftp://ftp-usa.abit.com.tw/pub/download/ma...english/an7.pdf

Edited by stuttering.john

Guest TOOL
Guest TOOL
Guest TOOL
Guests

the only problem with resetting the bios back to default. i never see anything on screen. i see the post codes on the mobo and then the thing shuts down.. i have tried remmoving the battery, the power cable, and using the jumper to reset the cmos. but that didn't work... i'm going to get the new cpu in a couple of days.. if that doesn' work going to make them replace the mobo. then i will go from there if it still doesn't work lol.. well.. thank you for all of your help.. that black mark sold me at first site :P

post codes? you referring to beeps, pwr light indicators, or on-screen displays? if it's on-screen display, that's the time to hit delete key.

brillow is right, hope the cpu doesn't get toasted by the board. i had faulty transistors on an old abit that blew cost me two amd's (first time shame on you, second time shame on me, eh?) mine was an easy catch, once i thought about it. a quick visual inspection of the motherboard (completely gutted out of the case) revealed three areas of black "goo" that turned out to be melted silicon. yikes!

you may want to add a new mobo to your wishlist.

strangefamous has turned a few people onto ecs (budget) boards. they've all had good luck. if you like the nvidia chipset you're using now, here's one for $43bucks. otherwise, here's the list of ecs socket-a compatible motherboards.

Guest TOOL
Guest TOOL
Guest TOOL
Guests

i could have them replace the mobo when i go for the CPU... and when i talk about post codes.. this mobo has a display on the mobo it'self that shows two number (post codes) and you take those numbers and see what they mean through the manual.. i think i've been getting 8.7. that is the cpu voltage...

Guest TOOL
Guest TOOL
Guest TOOL
Guests

got the new CPU installed.. Still no video feed.. guessing it's a bad vid card. going to take my vid card and my memory over to a friends house to test both... lol just an update...

Guest TOOL
Guest TOOL
Guest TOOL
Guests

another update, tested both video and memory, both tested fine, so we know it's not my memory, vid, or processor. Called the ABIT company for support.. the tech told me that the siren that i hear is a heat issue. A HEAT ISSUE!!!! i tried to inform this tech guy that the processor would not be hotter than room temp. anyway i'm going to take back the mobo tomorrow, have them replace it.. and maybe this issue can be resolved!

Guest TOOL
Guest TOOL
Guest TOOL
Guests
(edited)

Finally got it all fixed.. took a new mobo, and new CPU. I'm so glad it's over!!!!!

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Edited by TOOL

Guest TOOL
Guest TOOL
Guest TOOL
Guests
(edited)
are you using your old heatsink/fan combo? if so, what make/model? glad to hear things are working for ya.

as far as what make and model i'm not sure.. it's a crappy aluminum core... my idle temp. of the CPU is around 34-35c, under a load it's 40-41c

Edited by TOOL

as far as what make and model i'm not sure.. it's a crappy aluminum core... my idle temp. of the  CPU is around 34-35c, under a load it's 40-41c

monitor those temps! as long as you stay @/around them, you should be A.O.K.

make sure to stop by the west coast server and say hi.