Help!!!!!!

Lunk

My wife's laptop has been acting up quite a bit recently. So, I figured I would swap out the harddrive and reload her system onto a new one. Then I would grab all her old files from the existing hd that she wanted to keep.

BTW it's a Compaq 2140US. Amd 1800+ cpu.

Here's the problem. I removed the old harddrive (after disconnecting the power and pulling the battery). I then mounted the new harddrive into the bracket and re-inserted it into the laptop. Put the battery back in. And plug the power into it. And push the power on button. NOTHING HAPPENS at this point. I don't even get the flashing light to indicate that it has been plugged into an ac power outlet. Nothing, Nada, Zip.

I'm in big trouble if I don't get this thing backup and running.

hmmm. I have a dell c600. You can actually just pull the Hard drive out of the side of the laptop. Its kind of annoying because if it gets moved around alot in my backpack it accidently comes loose. But I have never had the problem of not turning back on. Always tells me the HArd drive is missing.

I did put the old harddrive back in. And same thing. Nothing would happen. Acted like it was getting no power at all.

Anyways, I left it sitting over night. And this morning it powered up just fine. :unsure: I just finished putting a new harddrive in it. And I'm in the process of restoring it to it's factory defaults. And I'm having no issues with it at this point today.

Not sure what happened last night. But today all seems to be moving along just fine.

Guess, I'll just chalk this one up to Casper(The Friendly Ghost) :peace:

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Remove and reinsert the HDD. May not be attached properly which can result in no power.

Remove and reinsert the HDD.  May not be attached properly which can result in no power.

Yeah, I did that zero. With no change.

Like I said in the last post. Everything is working fine now. Took about 10 minutes to do a Restore on the new hd I put in. Now I'm installing SP2 and trying to get all my wife's old files that she needs off her old hd.

What I'm going to do with the old hd is mount it in a portable enclosure and use it as a 40 gig thumb drive. Once I've gotten everything off it that we need. Then I'll reformat it and go from there.

just curious...after leaving the laptop overnight, did you reseat all the cables, or just hit pwr?

My wife turned it on before I got outta bed. I'm pretty sure all she did was hit the power button and turned it on.

Did you have any help when you changed the HD...say from Jack Daniels or Jim Beam???

:D

:lol: I could understand having this problem if I had their help. But alas, I was all alone in this endeavor. :P