hackers and stats

I was just checking West Coast Server stats, but it really should apply to all servers. I noticed that »Þқ«~~IwillKillYOU~~ is ranked who obviously was a hackers.

So, I was wondering if there's a thing to keep that from happening, as you ban it automatically erases all the stats for that person. Or is it a manual thing and someone has to erase it one by one?

Personally, I'd say who cares....however,

Strange can address this better than I as he is the keeper of the stats, but I'm pretty sure its a manual thing and I'm not sure we want to take the time to enter each person.

Who cares? I don't think that should describe gc's attitude toward that. Because those aimbotters only come to get a rank on the server and leave. All I see from them is killing 50 ppl and then type 'rank' in the chat. So even if you ban them, their mission is accomplished?!

What's the point?

I know though if it's a manual thing then it's a hassle, that's why I was wondering if it is or not.

Who cares? I don't think that should describe gc's attitude toward that.

He was describing his personal attitude, not necessarily what he felt should be GC policy.

Please try to think twice and maybe even reread before reacting to this sort of misinterpretation.

[snip] ... I'm pretty sure its a manual thing and I'm not sure we want to take the time to enter each person.

This sort of thing can probably be handled pretty easily, and certainly reliably, by a perl script that filters all server logs before they get tallied. However, no matter how easy it would be to write, it would still take some testing and would entail hassle on someone's part to make sure all the logs were "cleaned" before the tally (which also could be automated), and that may delay the updating of results.

The bigger point, though, is that there are a lot of things that perturb the stats. In particular, the ranking methodology is thoroughly messed up by various factors, not just cheaters -- it's simply not designed for competition like FPS games, and especially not one that's team-oriented like CS. Unfortunately, people don't think about that much -- or let themselves believe that how good you are is entirely reflected in your K:D ratio -- and play primarily for rank stats, which encourages them to behave in ways that detract from the fun of the gameplay. IMO, tally stats are fine, but rankings (as currently calculated) are more than a waste of time.

--Bothrops

i'm glad this was brought up...it was on the to-address list, so this just adds momentum to it. although we don't emphasize stats, the fact that we host stats means people will compare theirs with others, and yes, it is unfair to compare to cheaters. if the higher ups give the nod, i'd be happy to do manual maitenance on this (also assuming this doesn't hurt strage's feelings). this also might be a good time to revisit the 200 kills to be recorded criteria...

i don't know if it's necessary to get in and get all perl crazy on it--but if you're up to the task, run with it.

Ok kids, break it up. Everyone brings up a valid point, but I think Vovik is trying to get his idea into motion, which basically is another deterrent for hackers. He brings up the point that some hackers out there will hack just to get a good ranking on a server and say it's because they have "l337 skillz" or whatever.

As far as the "Who cares?" arguement, I think that is just a stance that this won't solve the hacker problem and deter that many away. As we all know, most of the hackers out there usually hack to annoy and upset everyone else on the server.

All valid points and such, but Vovik was just trying to help and "who cares", although valid, isn't very nice. Just no need to get worked up kids. We all hate hackers. If there is an issue, we need to get on a server and go at it....knives only. MWUHAHAHAHAHAHA!.....Sorry, but let's just all try and have fun. ;)

Who cares? I don't think that should describe gc's attitude toward that. Because those aimbotters only come to get a rank on the server and leave. All I see from them is killing 50 ppl and then type 'rank' in the chat. So even if you ban them, their mission is accomplished?!

What's the point?

I know though if it's a manual thing then it's a hassle, that's why I was wondering if it is or not.

I'm a GC board member. I think I know how the GC's attitude should be. However, as stated by someone above, I was referring to the fact that these guys are on our stats. Who cares, they get banned, eventually they get weeded out of the stats by inactivity. If you are worried about your rank, maybe you should check your attitude. I hardly ever look at stats, but if I do its to see how I'm doing using a certain weapon, or on a certain map. When you get caught up in what rank am I what rank am I, I personally feel you aren't really concerned about the team play in the server, you are more worried about yourself.

I'm a GC board member.  I think I know how the GC's attitude should be.  However, as stated by someone above, I was referring to the fact that these guys are on our stats.  Who cares, they get banned, eventually they get weeded out of the stats by inactivity.  If you are worried about your rank, maybe you should check your attitude.  I hardly ever look at stats, but if I do its to see how I'm doing using a certain weapon, or on a certain map.  When you get caught up in what rank am I what rank am I, I personally feel you aren't really concerned about the team play in the server, you are more worried about yourself.

Wowie, is that what it all boils down to?

Ok, I just tell you how it is. I was just asking a question is it being a manual delete or not. THAT'S IT.

Maybe you misunderstood something. I was just browsing thru the stats and saw a guy who was a hacker ranked, and, well, I wasn't really liking the idea of ranking hackers. So, therefore I asked.

Then, you said who cares, and I tried to explain why someone would care. Wasn't anything against you or nothing. :bang:

Then, Bothrops actually thought I was attacking you and that's why this post looks so negative now.

My apologies...

BTW, just noticed that it's your birthday Bandit. Happy Birthday!!!! :luxhello:

Then, Bothrops actually thought I was attacking you and that's why this post looks so negative now.

I thought no such thing.

I *said* that you were stretching when you took a comment clearly identified as a personal opinion as a statement about GC's attitude.

Don't get all bent out of shape and snap at me because you're reading things that aren't there.

-- Bothrops

As an uninvolved outsider reading this post, this is my take...

We run into a number of things here at work, as I'm sure many of you do, where written words often get taken the wrong way, out of context, or with more or less meaning or attitude than they were intended. I think this is what happened with BGB's post. They way I read it, was:

/picture BGB shrugging shoulders, tilting head to side saying "Eh, who cares?"/ Which is a lot different than some of you seem to have taken it.

My point is (convoluted...) that when you post, and when you read, be careful about what you write. Written word is obvioulsy different from both vocal and face-to-face communication. There is room for an enormous amount of misinterpretation and, therefore, miscommunication. You don't have the interaction and the ability to figure things out and clarify statements when communicating by posting in forums.

BGB made his point in his ensuing post. A very good point, if I may add. This thread did turn negative, which is unfortunate because it is obviously important to some people. We provide a stat service on our servers because people like to see their stats. I like to see mine, but as anyone who has played with me knows, I'm all about the team and I will always run out the door first to sacrifice myself just to get a nade or smoke out. So even the most team-oriented players might like to see their stats, and don't like seeing known hackers ranked on the same list they are.

My two cents on the original topic: implement a 200 (or more) kill minimum on the stats. Hopefully the hackers will be banned before they reach this level, and/or will whither away and be removed due to inactivity.

well put, whudats. glad you got this back on track, and hopefully everyone's feelings are back in check.

i'm trying to get strangefamous to take care of the 200 kill minimum, but he's not responding to msgs.

please, let's please keep responses related to the topic at hand and not any out of context interpretations.

:peace::spin2::peace:

Guest The Glock
Guest The Glock
Guest The Glock
Guests

<_< hmmm....

maybe if u made the west coast server a secure server u wouln't have hackers joining in the first place.

(edited)
As an uninvolved outsider reading this post, this is my take...

We run into a number of things here at work, as I'm sure many of you do, where written words often get taken the wrong way, out of context, or with more or less meaning or attitude than they were intended.  I think this is what happened with BGB's post.  They way I read it, was:

/picture BGB shrugging shoulders, tilting head to side saying "Eh, who cares?"/  Which is a lot different than some of you seem to have taken it.

My point is (convoluted...) that when you post, and when you read, be careful about what you write.  Written word is obvioulsy different from both vocal and face-to-face communication.  There is room for an enormous amount of misinterpretation and, therefore, miscommunication.  You don't have the interaction and the ability to figure things out and clarify statements when communicating by posting in forums.

BGB made his point in his ensuing post.  A very good point, if I may add.  This thread did turn negative, which is unfortunate because it is obviously important to some people.  We provide a stat service on our servers because people like to see their stats.  I like to see mine, but as anyone who has played with me knows, I'm all about the team and I will always run out the door first to sacrifice myself just to get a nade or smoke out.  So even the most team-oriented players might like to see their stats, and don't like seeing known hackers ranked on the same list they are.

My two cents on the original topic:  implement a 200 (or more) kill minimum on the stats.  Hopefully the hackers will be banned before they reach this level, and/or will whither away and be removed due to inactivity.

Thanx whudats, that was exactly my point. And thanx stutter for taking it into consideration.

Topic is over.

Edited by Vovik

<_< hmmm....

maybe if u made the west coast server a secure server u wouln't have hackers joining in the first place.

i've been buried with work the past week...but i don't think vac2 (i.e secure server) is in a stable public release.

if it were, fatty would be over it like a stack of momma's panacakes.

/picture BGB shrugging shoulders, tilting head to side saying "Eh, who cares?"/  Which is a lot different than some of you seem to have taken it.

This was exactly what I meant. Whudats did make a good point that in text its hard to tell the difference between :shrug03: and :boo: . So, I'll try to make better use of the smilies in the future. However, I took your following coments to heart seeing that I am a board member and you seemed to question my judgement about the GC. Call it pride call it what you want Vovik. I did snap back because of that and I apologize for that and accept your apologe as well.

Maybe the point I tried to make in the ensuing posts would have been better to start off with. I will try to emphasize it. When someone gets banned, and hence never comes back they are seen as inactive. We have a setting on the stats.cfg that says if someone has been inactive for X amount of time, don't include them in the stats. Therefore, my thinking is that it will be much more of a hassle to go in and manually address these guys then to wait for the stats to take care of them itself.

well put, whudats. glad you got this back on track, and hopefully everyone's feelings are back in check.

i'm trying to get strangefamous to take care of the 200 kill minimum, but he's not responding to msgs.

please, let's please keep responses related to the topic at hand and not any out of context interpretations.

:peace:  :spin2:  :peace:

I can do this if it still needs to be done john, just let me nkow.

Personally, I hack Vo all the time on scopeless. Hrm. I might have to start turning my leet Vo hacks on over here, too.

They're the kind that VAC2 doesn't pick up on:

Zoned Out BETA

Caffiene 2.0 and

Cruisin' Tunes 4.3b