The Dirtiest City in America is

whudats

Reader's Digest Cleanest (and Dirtiest) Cities

Too bad we're brought down by "outlying areas"! Unless you read it and understand that they looked at the cities' surrounding areas, this could be a deceiving list.

In my opinion, from a strictly visual/aesthetic standpoint, Chicago is cleaner than New York City, Philly, Cleveland, Houston, Detroit(?!), Baltimore, Las Vegas, Rochester...

They should do a "not including outlying areas" list... :blink:

I dont believe that for 1 SECOND..

there is no way is H e double hockey sticks Bufflo is 3rd cleanest and NewYork is 2nd last.

They gave NewYork a 2 for water cleanlieness but, I know for a fact that NewYork has some of the cleanest water you can get becuase it is shipped in from newJersy.

total bull plop that survey

Does that really make sense?  :freak3:  Think about it.

LOL, does sound pretty dang funny if you think about it. :unsure:

all i know is when i have to drive through chicago, you can guarentee it will not be anywhere close to rush hour. Chicago is the worst traffic i have ever seen period!!

:peace:

ACTUALLY... New York does have the cleanest water since they are the first outlet from the source. I want to say Fort Collins, CO is like number 2 only because there is one outlet before them. Their water tastes darn good too!

I would believe that St. Louis is one of the dirtiest cities. ESPECIALLY if you count in the immediate out lying regions! :biglaugha:

That actually belongs to you IL people! But for some unknown reason, we still lay claim to it... You all can have it! But East STL is exactly what I am referring to. That and about every other direction around the city. St. Charles has it's fair share of oddities. But we are far enough away from the actual city to be safe.

(edited)
I would believe that St. Louis is one of the dirtiest cities.  ESPECIALLY if you count in the immediate out lying regions!  :biglaugha:

I was in St. Louis back in April for a week and I was a little shocked. I stayed in a hotel between Bush Stadium and the Edward Jones Dome (I forget the street name), but I could see the arch through my hotel window. Every morning when I got up to walk to the convetion center I would atleast have one bum or a crack head asking me for money, and I was only walking three blocks. Then you have east St. Louis which I avoided. The Ozarks are nice though. Did a little trout fishing on works expense :smillie_smilling:

Detroit is way worse than Chicago or St. Louis in my opinion. It's starting to clean up, but it is still very dirty.

Edited by BushMaster

lol Chicago is definately not dirty and is most definately cleaner than any major northeast city (Philthydelphia/New York) and yomamma I dont know where in San fransisco you went but that is definately one of the cleanest cities in the US.

Detriot/anywhere in Michigan should be the dirtiest/trashpile of the country

Does that really make sense?  :freak3:  Think about it.

Yes it makes perfect sence.. NewYork (CITY) gets it's drinking water from resivouirs in from the NewJersy reigion. That is some of the cleanest water there is.

And im not sure how Buffalo got a 50 for water, becuase sometimes when I turn on my water there is a brown tinge to it. so there is no way that's clean. (Ps I dont drink that water, I buy water)

(edited)
Detriot/anywhere in Michigan should be the dirtiest/trashpile of the country

I disagree. Detroit sucks don't get me wrong, but Lansing and Grand Rapids have cleaned up quite a bit. Not to mention all of the resort towns up north which are still very nice i.e. Charlevoix among others.. Granted these aren't big citys..

Ok now I'm defending Michigan too much.. :erm:

My favorite big small town is Fargo, ND though. That town is alot of fun in many ways.. Mabe it's because I live in a rual area 40 miles east of there and had nothing else to do. Just make sure you don't get married to some crazy chick that doesn't like snoring, and has a fetish for pens and weights :) ..

Anyways I'm getting off topic now..

Edited by BushMaster

I lived in NYC in the early 90s, and while I thought the usual complaints about dirt, crime, and traffic were overrated, it did have impressive levels of all three. Taken in combo... Anyway, New Yorkers loved to brag about their water, but it was nasty--mostly due to the very old pipes it flowed through, I suspect. I bought my drinking water at the grocery store.

Traverse City abd Petosky are absolutely beautiful cities in Michigan. The northern part of the "mitten" of Michigan is a great area. Grand Rapids isn't that bad either. Outside of Detroit/Flint/parts of the upper peninsula Michigan isn't a bad state at all.

My point was: are they rating NY water or the NJ water....or is there no such thing as NY water, since you say it's brought in from NJ? If that's the case, does NY rating match the NJ rating exactly because it's the same water? Does anyone follow my logic?

I thought NYC water came from the Catskill Mountains? It used to.

In my day, the lake in Central Park, in which many a bird paddled about and rain filled with whatever it washed from the Manhattan sky, was surrounded by a very rusty chainlink fence. On this fence hung signs which said, roughly, "This is your drinking water. Treat it with care." :biglaugha:

My point was: are they rating NY water or the NJ water....or is there no such thing as NY water, since you say it's brought in from NJ?  If that's the case, does NY rating match the NJ rating exactly because it's the same water?  Does anyone follow my logic?

Hey Buffalo doesnt have it's own water either. it's from up north, so does that mean Buffalo's water shouldnt be ranked either?

Back to the Gary comment - No offense in anyone lives there, but man, when you have to stop and pay that 50 cent toll before the Skyway you get a mouthful of NASTY. Oh man does it stink.

And yes, Detroit is filthy. Absolutely filthy. Have you seen downtown? And you made it out with your car? Wow... Just kidding...but Chicago itself is very clean. It's this outlying areas nonsense that brings these cities down.

I'm sort of guessing here, but doesn't each city have a way to store water before use? It doesn't all just pump straight from the line to your faucet. And then you have the treatment side of the house. All of the cities that pump water in from elsewhere don't just send it back all dirty, do they? I'm sure some of it is treated and put back in the system somewhere.

Point being that even if a city gets its water from NJ, or Canada, or wherever, they still have to have clean tanks and pipes to store it and then treatment facilities to treat it when used.

My point was: are they rating NY water or the NJ water....or is there no such thing as NY water, since you say it's brought in from NJ?  If that's the case, does NY rating match the NJ rating exactly because it's the same water?  Does anyone follow my logic?

LOL, yes sir. i didnt know how to say it, but i have been laughn to myself the whole time cause i though i was reading it like that. mighty fine job puttin it into words. lol. :peace:

Hey Buffalo doesnt have it's own water either. it's from up north, so does that mean Buffalo's water shouldnt be ranked either?

I don't know, that's why I was asking. I don't claim to have any answers here. :blink:

Nor am I refuting any claims in these studies (you'd think they wouldn't put up a study that was completely inaccurate).

Maybe NY water = horrible (problem), which is why NY water is NJ water (solution?), so that people are drinking the bad water and the solution is in place?