ripping music

Fatty

if you only do this once a blue moon, might be overkill. for the junkies, here's how to rip the perfect mp3 from cd*:

http://www.ubernet.org/?p=UberGuide

fatty - if you want to skip the reading and just do a one time rip (128kbps quality), get exact audio guide, install it, and re-rip the track from cd.

if you have the wav, you can encode it to MP3. this won't let you convert a WMA -> MP3.

*for personal backup only

Fatty, you rip using Windows Media Player, right?

It's not exactly a power-user program, and it won't give you quite the same quality as, say Exact Audio Copy and LAME for ripping and .mp3 encoding, but there is a way to get more than reasonable .mp3s from WMP10.

Here's how:

Maximize WMP, so that you can see the toolbar up top.

Go to Tools/Options/Rip Music

Under "Rip Settings", use the pulldown menu to select "mp3".

Move the slider to select: 128kbps/192kbps/256kbps/320kbps

Yer set.

I did a quick size test for you too, Fats, using Age of Electric's "Enya" (4:53):

128kbps = 4.47MB = ~895kB/Minute

192kbps = 6.71MB = ~1.34MB/Minute

256kbps = 8.95MB = ~1.79MB/Minute

320kbps = 11.1MB = ~2.22MB/Minute

The sizes aren't bad for a 5 minute song, and the rates will almost always be 100% consistant. If the song has a lot of transients/splosives ("S"s, snares or highhats) rip at 320 or 256. If not, or you don't particularly care, rip at 192 or 256. I can't stand listening to anything lower than 192, unless it's on bad speakers anyway, or I have no other choice.

Edited by Norguard

If you're using Windows Media Player and want to stick with it, go to Tools | Options, go to the Rip Music tab, and check your settings. I use WMA VBR in the office with the quality slider set in the middle and have no complaints about quality (Audiophiles need not apply, my ears are not that discerning) and I usually rip a whole CD for just a few MB more.

I also believe there is an MP3 option, but I have never tried it, so if you are set on MP3s instead of set on WMP, there is plenty of other good advice here...they just involve other programs.

Speaking of which, is Winamp still any good? Haven't used it in awhile, but it used to be pretty efficient once you figured out how to navigate the menu system.

Fox, Winamp is ok. Winamp 5 is supposed to be the best of Winamp2 (THE best for audio based on the price...free (and even better than most pay-for products)) and Winamp3 (which introduced video playback as well...although not too well...what do you expect...Justin Frankel, the maker of Winamp 2 (and earlier) had no part in the development of Winamp3).

For me, I still use Winamp5 for audio and the occassional video clip, but typically for videos, I use VLC from www.videolan.org.