LCD Help

Slimmage

I recently purchased a NEC LCD1970GX monitor. It's pretty nice but I've having a really annoying issue with it. When i look at certain images, usually darker ones like blues, browns or the smoke in source I see these diagonal lines moving continuously through the screen. The problem looks even worse in game because I have to run it in 800x600 rather than the native res of 1280x1024. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Is this normal for LCD monitors when they are out of their native res? I'm still within my return period so if its a problem with just this particular monitor I can always switch it.

LCD's always perform best in their native resolution.

Do you have it connected via std monitor plug, or DVI? LCD's typically look and perform much better when connected DVI. Mine is awesome, but when I tried it connected analog, it was like a different monitor, pretty crappy.

Also, go the manufacturers website and read the FAQ's and tech support, or even call them and see if there are any known issues.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Fairly sure it is the resolution. Try turning on Vsync, that could also be tearing that you are seeing.

I am not too sure that I can help with any Lord Chip Douglas problems (yes, I know, I am a riot), but your lcd monitor problem sounds like it may be the monitor itself. I have an lcd monitor and have not had any of those problems.

Have you downloaded the lastest drivers for your graphics card? Usually fixes any problems I have had.

As a last resort, perhaps re-installing HL2?

Those lines are naturally occurring in LCD monitors. Especially in moving scenes. The problem gets 100x worse when you are outside of your natural resolution.

Now, some people notice the crawl/shimmer, and some don't. It changes per person, and changes per monitor. If you find it particularly awful, (or a couple of people find that monitor bad... ...especially people who aren't really into technology, or pay any mind to quality) consider trading the monitor for another, or getting refund/credit.

Thnaks for all the responses guys. Norguard its funny that you mention how some may not notice it becuase I called in my friend to help and he thinks I'm insane. He can't see anything wrong.

On the drivers..... I know mine are out of the date but when i tried to install the latest Catalyst drivers I was unable to continue the installation. I unistalled the current drivers first and upon installation of the new ones its stopped and said i needed to required VGA drivers installed first. Has anyone else encountered this problem with ATI drivers? Was I supposed to uninstall the current ones 1st?

VSync will always have that problem. The point is that it changes all of the parts of the picture at the same time, instead of as soon as one part's ready. So if you're rendering at 85fps, it's not a real "Frames per second". It's how many times per second the frames are updated. Not a guarantee that the whole frame was drawn at the exact same time... ...so whatever's left of the bottom of the frame last time gets thrown in. Which is why the screen tears when you turn quickly, or you have fast colour changes in a game.

VSync won't let the frame go to the RAMDAC and out to the monitor until the entire frame has been drawn and filled... ...which means that your videocard isn't allowed to be lazy, anymore. Which also means that you get a lower fps, because there's plenty of potential for half-frames in that time, but they aren't allowed to be seen.

VSync is way, way smoother. Sometimes it feels like a totally different game, but it won't really solve the crawl. ...just make it seem not so bad, without the extra tear getting in the way, during the action.

I know all about the people who tell me I'm crazy. They can't tell the difference/don't care about the difference between 64kbps .mp3 and DVD-Audio... ...let alone CD vs DVD. CDs aren't resolute enough for me, anymore. And I won't end up buying an LCD until they solve all of their problems. It'd still cost me $4500 dollars or so, and I may as well go plasma for that price.

slimmage,

I've got a 1920nx NEC. It's a 19 dvi monitor and I see no lines at all.

I only see ghosting if I move eratically on a dark object but as long as the graphic does not move from one side to the other in .0000001 secs then it's all good.

I tend to think you should go DVI with a card.

I once hooked up my monitor to a analog card that was a 8 meg internal and it was a TOTAL different beast. I saw distortion (sort of like an t.v. with a antenna that gets radio waves rolling across the screen).

It was def the internal video causing this cause I changed the analog to my 5900xt and it was pretty descent. So my panic attack that my monitor was taking a dump was false.

I would try taking the monitor to another pc and run it in it's highest (1280x1024 prob) resolution. You'll probably find it's ok.

Also on ATI...

my experience in dealing with catlyst updates has always been a nightmare. I believe you DO have to pull out all the driver files and then re-install. I had a 8500le and I had to manually pull files. I've turned to the dark side and gone the way of nvidia now. I love em for seamlessness.

However everyone has a different story.

my guess is the monitor is ok.

Auggy