Pray for New Orleans

I'm really excited, we had calls come down through the office asking people to go help. The first call was for a 90 day stint down there working with FEMA but there was no way I could leave my daughter and wife up her by themselves for that long. So I was kind of upset yesterday, but then today the call came down for people to do 2 week stints (12 hr/day for 14 days...ouch). So I think between the sitter and my wife's work I will get to do down and do some flood charting and what not and then come back and start working on models that will tell us how to make NO and surrounding area or any area prone to hurricanes for that matter much safer.

I got laid off recently but received a nice severance package. In all reality I don’t have to get another job until January. After sitting on my butt all day today watching the news I’m seriously thinking about going down there. I’m just not sure who to contact (haven’t done any research either).

I have a manufacturing\mechanical engineering background. Would Fema be interested in someone like me Bub? Or are they looking for civil engineers and targeting firms?

Also would you be developing cad models and using simulation software like Flow 3d.

I'm sure they could use anyone that could help. I'd check the FEMA website maybe? The call came down through work for me, we have an ongoing contract with FEMA so when they need people they call on our firm as well as many others. I could ask around at work and see if anyone knows who you could get in touch with.

From what I understand we will be running models in riverine, which is a lot like the Army Corps of Engineers' HEC-RAS if you've ever seen it.