Dr. Who

TheReverend(c)

Rev, I loved Dr. Who. My old band used to do a cover of the themesong as an opener. I'm a little too young to have seen any of the many Dr. Who series as they came out...

...but I can tell you this:

Back in 1996, there was an American-made Dr. Who TV movie, starring Paul McGann as the good doctor, and Eric Roberts as The Master. Normally, my instincts tell me that if Eric Roberts is in it, I should run, not walk, but it was pretty decent, as far as TV movies go.

A few years back (1999, I believe), the Brits did a Dr. Who "official parody", for lack of a better term: "Doctor Who and the Curse of the Fatal Death", starring Rowan Atkinson, Hugh Grant and others. About the doctors' (five of them) final confrontation with The Master, before he can kick back and enjoy the married life.

This past year, the BBC had done a brand new season of Dr. Who, and I was quite pleased with it. Updated film quality, updated props and special effects, and a real budget... ...but it still retained the same feel.

The first season starred Chris Eccleston, whom you may recall from Gone in 60 Seconds, as Raymond (aka, the big guy who didn't talk much), or from 28 Days Later, where he played the major.

Had a nice feel, a nice flow, and a decent story arc. It's just a shame that they'll have a new doctor for season two. The DVD set for the first season is bound to be out soon. We lucky Canucks can catch it on CBC.

Hope that's enough of a fix for you.

Rev, I loved Dr. Who.  My old band used to do a cover of the themesong as an opener.  I'm a little too young to have seen any of the many Dr. Who series as they came out... 

...but I can tell you this:

Back in 1996, there was an American-made Dr. Who TV movie, starring Paul McGann as the good doctor, and Eric Roberts as The Master.  Normally, my instincts tell me that if Eric Roberts is in it, I should run, not walk, but it was pretty decent, as far as TV movies go.

A few years back (1999, I believe), the Brits did a Dr. Who "official parody", for lack of a better term: "Doctor Who and the Curse of the Fatal Death", starring Rowan Atkinson, Hugh Grant and others.  About the doctors' (five of them) final confrontation with The Master, before he can kick back and enjoy the married life.

This past year, the BBC had done a brand new season of Dr. Who, and I was quite pleased with it.  Updated film quality, updated props and special effects, and a real budget...  ...but it still retained the same feel.

The first season starred Chris Eccleston, whom you may recall from Gone in 60 Seconds, as Raymond (aka, the big guy who didn't talk much), or from 28 Days Later, where he played the major.

Had a nice feel, a nice flow, and a decent story arc.  It's just a shame that they'll have a new doctor for season two.  The DVD set for the first season is bound to be out soon.  We lucky Canucks can catch it on CBC.

Hope that's enough of a fix for you.

What a freaking shame. I actually thought Eccleston did a bang up job last season. I hwas hoping that he would continue. Oh well.

Well, you have another couple of weeks to figure it out, before the start of the second season. Then hop aboard, with the rest of us privileged individuals.

Just think, had the US remained loyal to Britan, as Canada did, you guys would be watching the new series too. I'm sure that, had those guys known what you'd be missing, a few centuries later, they would have canned the fuss and dreamt of Daleks.

Edited by Norguard

Just think, had the US remained loyal to Britan, as Canada did, you guys would be watching the new series too.  I'm sure that, had those guys known what you'd be missing, a few centuries later, they would have canned the fuss and dreamt of Daleks.

:lol:

Dr Who.....ahhh nastalgia!!!!!!! used to love that show as a kid!!!!

• 1 month later...

wow.. couldnt figure out how to reduce a size of an image in paint huh? FYI I believe it's Crtl-W

on a side note, ya I remember when I was very young whenever the theme came on I would run out of the room. I would watch the episode, but the intro freaked me out for some reason. I never really got into the new Dr. Who though, just isnt the same.

wow.. couldnt figure out how to reduce a size of an image in paint huh? FYI I believe it's Crtl-W

on a side note, ya I remember when I was very young whenever the theme came on I would run out of the room. I would watch the episode, but the intro freaked me out for some reason. I never really got into the new Dr. Who though, just isnt the same.

Just thought the size of the guy would make it more humorous. heh. :D:halo:

What a freaking shame.  I actually thought Eccleston did a bang up job last season.  I hwas hoping that he would continue.  Oh well.

The original series changed main characters a number of times aswell...that aside I liked Eccleston too

On a side note the BBC did a Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series as well that IMO is much better and more true to the books than the movie (probably because the books are based off the radio and tv show)

• 8 months later...

I thought they would ride out the series with Chris Eccleson as the Doc, but I guess he is done for the 2005 seasons. We watch them a year behind here in the US I guess and now David Tennant is the tenth doctor. Theres 12 cycles in the life of a time lord. Wish they would have just left Eccleson as the Doc, he's the best one. :bang: