Hey so I tried Interval Training!

Fatty

Someone described interval training to me in another thread so spontaneously gave it a shot tonight on the mill....

Normally I've been, on my running days since I'm back indoors, doing two of the 40 minute sessions that includes a couple decent inclines.

Today, instead, I did my second have in intervals. It was pretty fun.

I picked a speed (the mill said 8 mph, aka a 7:30 pace) and did 3 minutes straight, then 3 of rest, then 4 and 4, 5 and 5, 4 and 4, 3 and 3, 2 and 2...and then for my final minute i kicked er up to 10 mph (aka 6:00 min pace) for the final minute....

Very enjoyable in that I actually was hitting the lungs again...while the 40 x 2 gets me sweating, it doesn't get me panting. I'm going to keep doing this on my running days and see how it goes.

I am really going to have to ignore the times, etc...again, because I've run a 7 minute mile before and this 7:30 pace sure seems a little harder than that and the furtheset I did was 5 minutes straight....I'll have to try it fresh legged....but I still think I'm being fooled. Again, no matter....the sweat is there.

:wavey:

Nice work.

What are you doing in the intervals, light jogging or just standing still?

If you've found it works the lungs, you can now experiment a bit more with different distances and smaller rest periods. You can be as creative as you want, and there will always be most space to push yourself when you master one routine.

GC Founder

The intervals are GREAT, but the problem is, my treadmill workout was about 93 minutes today (doing this every other day is a lot of time away from everything else, namely the fam.....hard to do this workout at 10 pm)

I do 8 mph for 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1 minute each, resting by walking at 2.5 mph for the equivilant time that I just ran. All of this follows my 40 minute pre-programmed workout.

90minutes is way too long in my opinion.

It looks like you have two options, both involve carrying on one type of training:

Stick to the 40minute run, but increase the speed.

or, make the intervals more intense.

By the looks of your intervals and speeds, you need to dramatically increase the speed of the 1 minute and 2 minute runs. I used to run these things only on track so its hard to explain it relating to times and speed, as we did it relating to distances and time.

I used to do this prymid:

200m (26/27seconds)

1 minute rest

300m (45 seconds)

1 minute rest

400m (63 seconds)

1 minute

500m (85 seconds)

1 minute rest

800m (2mins 15)

5 minute rest

500m (85 seconds)

1 minute rest

400m (63 seconds)

1 minute rest

300m (45 seconds)

1 minute rest

200m (26/27 seconds)

collapse on floor.

Try adapting that to your treadmill somehow. The shorter the time you run for, the quicker the speed. You need not bother about the 40minutes run before doing this as is nearly impossible to hack it.

If you can get something worked out, then great. Do two lots of interval training a week (say for example tuesday and thursday) and then do a long 40minute run once a week (say saturday or sunday).

Yeah, 90 minutes is too much time to spend on it...but you're doing a 40 minute run back-to-back with intervals. Like BigBones said, try one or the other depending on the day. You can also up the intensity during either your up or downtime (brisk jog instead of walk) or increase the ratio of uptime to downtime (2 min. up, 1 min. rest, for example). That's one of the neat tricks of this type of training -- Rapid adjustment to your level of need. Of course, as BigBones suggested above, there are plenty of other ways to adjust the program as well.

GC Founder

Man, the official consultant in every thread. Are you even working out?

Obviously if I pick up the intensity I can cut back on time. It's not a real necessity. I'm having great success in what I'm doing and sharing as I go....not really need any changes or feeling like something is wrong or out of place.

I'm also not training for speed, nor can I safely sprint all out on my mill like I could on a track.

Thanks.

GC Founder

Didn't see fox's post.

Show me yer results, guys. I'm kinda getting tired of all the suggestions. Bub and I are here for support for each other and love to share.

90 minutes is not a problem, other than fitting it into my day. It's not a hazzard. It's my intense workout. Reread my original post. I'm sharing success, I'm not bleeding a call out for help.

Don't get me wrong, it just seems like some are going a little overboard with trying to fix everyone's workouts. Too much talk and not enough workin out.

Sorry.

I'm just throwing up ideas, you said that it was taking too much time, and i agree 90minutes is a long time.

You said you wanted to cut down your 10k time? I suggested interval training to you to improve your speed endurance, but I guess this isn't your main concern. Just a misunderstanding.

As I said, they were just suggestions, probably inappropriate but I wasn't forcing you to change a successful routine. :hug:

I am working out at the moment, well not as we speak, but generally. I joined the university boat team, but am currently having problems rowing because I'm new to it and every time they get in the boats I'm busy doing activites relating to my course. (like helping tramps, i dunno how i got into that, i signed up to give legal advice to kids in run down areas :S)

I probably had the funnest workout of my life yesterday. Went for a jog with a few friends along a canal, then went into a park with a large lake. It was chucking it down with rain, and was really muddy but we got down to doing press-ups and situps getting covered in mud, doing a few hill sprints, then fast laps around the lake, before jogging back. It bought back the fun for me, something I havent had in a while because I got bored of jogging around the same block for years on end.

Edited by *BiGBonES**

GC Founder

I guess I did say it was a "problem". Decreasing the rest is the answer for me. I can't really go too much faster on the machine (I think it maxes at 12 mph (so it says, still dont' believe it's accurate), but the machine really moves around....)

No biggies, just know that we want to hear about your personal gains and progress more than the consultations.

The intervals are GREAT, but the problem is, my treadmill workout was about 93 minutes today (doing this every other day is a lot of time away from everything else, namely the fam.....hard to do this workout at 10 pm)

(emphasis added)

Show me yer results, guys.  I'm kinda getting tired of all the suggestions.  Bub and I are here for support for each other and love to share.

90 minutes is not a problem, other than fitting it into my day.

(emphasis added)

Okay, sure, I understand you are sharing with Bubs for encouragement (and the rest of us, obviously). I have been supportive in other threads, even if its only moral support. Since I was one of the people who brought up interval training, when I saw that your workout was taking, "a lot of time away from everything else," I recognized that it could be hard to continue this course. I was only trying to be supportive of you and your other obligations (family, etc). Do you think I would suggest things if this didn't work for me? Especially since this is important to you? If it's that important to you, I'll start clocking my results and posting them. I don't see what it would solve.

No more suggestions from me. But keep up the good work, Fatty! I know it's hard to lose weight, I've been there. Fight the good fight! I still support you, even if it's only moral support.

I'll have to get a picture of myself now soon, but heres my challenge: :D

Rocky%20(front).jpg

I put on a lot of fat over the summer, mianly due to an all inclusive hotel :( but I think I've worked off most of that fat. Now im just looking to tone up.

I need to get some rocky posters up in my room, that film is always an inspiration.

lol, i wonder how long it will take to look like that :erm:

• 2 weeks later...

Want to see a badass interval workout????

3 mile warmup at 8:00 pace

stretch

1 mile at 6:00 for final warmup

WORKOUT:

24 x 400 meters

60 seconds rest between first 12 and 45 seconds between 13-20 and 30 seconds between last 4

ALL 400's must be under 70 seconds or you don't complete workout.

4 mile cool down, whatever pace you want.

my avg pace was 67 seconds per 400.

this is a difficult workout, but it does have the basic ideas of fast pace plus shortened rest, imporant for any workout. Well my 17 year competetive cross-country carreer just ended, i'm in the marathon ring now i guess or any other road race. Let me know.

Nick