Bigbones's new goal!

*BiGBonES**

I've got some indoor rowing national championship event coming up, and need to get fit, so heres my goals and current stage etc.

BiGBonES

Starting weight = 197pounds or 89.5kg

Height is roughly 6"2

Rowing times (on the indoor rowing machine):

2000m = 7mins 50 seconds (not at my hardest pace)

5000m = 9mins 28 seconds

GOALS:

I could do with loosing about 10pounds. I'm trying to loose a bit of fat around my belly button so I can work on getting my old 6pac back. Theres also a bit of excess fat around my body in various place that I put on by doing nothing physical in the summer.

So target weight = 187pounds or 85kg

With rowing, I really don't have a clue what times are good or bad. I'm in some freshers competition for people who are new to rowing, and if I win it I'll get a free boat! Now that would be cool, having my own boat! But thats extremely unlikely.

Anyway I'll guess at time goals:

2000m = 7minutes

5000m = 8minutes 50 seconds

HOW?

Hopefully by doing some form of exercise everyday, making sure at least 3 times a week the exercise is hardcore dying for breath exercise :=

I'll completely cut out snacks between meals and just drink water instead

Wish me luck :luxhello:

P.S if i win this boat I'll row over to america for FF06 :freak3:

Edited by *BiGBonES**

DAY 1

Breakfast/lunch (got up late) = About 8 crackers with cheese

Dinner = Homemade egg fried rice, with chicken and salsa wraps.

Workout =

1/2 mile warm up + stretch

2 Mile run

3x:

800m fast run

2minutes rest of doing sit ups and pressups

2 Mile run back home

Feelings -- Feeling like I havent got much of a chance because the event is on the 20th of November, which only really leaves me with 2weeks of proper training. But a free rowing boat sounds so sweeeet!

DAY 2

Breakfast= Bag of salad, like crunchy lettuce, cabbage and carrots

Lunch= A bowl of low fat chips with lots of ketchup! YUMMM

Dinner= TBD, but boy its going to be big, im starving!

Workout-

Set off to do hill sprints with my rowing team in the local park, but the stupid ghetto kids were shooting fireworks at each other, so we ended up going on a run which lasted about 30mins, the last 5mins of which I upped the pace a lot.

Then a 5km row on the rowing machine at different intensities. This was mainly to work on technique but it was a hard workout after the run.

Now I'm off to eat dinner, then do an 8minute ab workout and finally have a long stretch and abck massage, subject to the girlfriends love for me today :D

Feelings- A nice gigantic beer can falling on my head would top off today

big bones, i havnt rowed in awhile but anything under 6:30 for your 2k time is very respectable for a heavy weight rower. depending on what you follow, heavyweight is over 145 lbs.

what rowing machine are you using? the best machine you can use is a concept 2.

two tips for getting better on the rowing machine:

1.) remember, the majority of your power comes from your leg drive. Fast legs is key. Make sure your not 'shooting your arse' <= correct terminology for what im going to explain. shooting your arse - when your leg drive is quick and strong but your leaning forward too far when you drive back so you lose most of your leg drive. to avoid this, make sure you keep your back straight and you start to lean back slightly during your leg drive.

2.) low stroke rate - if your using a concept II, in the upper right hand corner (i believe if my memory serves me right) will tell you your strokes per minute. for your 2k, keep it around a 22-23 spm and then near the end you can up the spm to 28-30.

DAY 3

Breakfast= 4 Weetabix

Lunch = Junk food :(

Dinner = Sasuages and mash, with some vegetables

Exercise-

Last night really nakered me out, so I'm taking today easy:

8minute Ab workout + 80 pressups if I can manage.

Stretch and a light jog with the gf

Ich - I believe I'm using the rowing machine your talking about. I'm going to do a fast 2k row tomorrow night then have a fast 3k row after so I'll see how close I can get to 6.30, although I think I need a bit more training to get near that.

DAY 3

Ich - I believe I'm using the rowing machine your talking about. I'm going to do a fast 2k row tomorrow night then have a fast 3k row after so I'll see how close I can get to 6.30, although I think I need a bit more training to get near that.

yea, i didnt mean to be condescending when i said 'respectable' time. usually someone who is in season and in shape for crew, will make a goal of 6:30. i remember we used to switch up the workouts on the erg (rowing machine) every once in awhile.

one of the best things you can do is, work out longer. Try 10 minute tests, then 15 minute tests 20 minute, 30 minute. One thing that I've learned is, beating the crap out of yourself (if you know you wont horribly hurt yourself) when your semi-out of shape is the best deal.

Again, if you know you can work hard and not hurt yourself, try going for a steady 30 minute test. If you decide to do that, some advice, with my body at least, is that if my body isn't starting to feel tired half way through a workout, im not working hard enough. if my body is starting to hurt half way through a workout and i keep the pace, its gonna hurt like dante's inferno near the end.

If you need specific help on form on the erg, ask me, i'll probably be able to give you some advice. keep it up, rowing burns the most calories out of any other sport out there, including running.

P.S. To see if your erging on a concept II, its written in big letters on the slide.

Edited by ich bin ein berliner

DAY 5 + 6

I've recovered from the injury, so looking good for tomorrow.

Breakfast - Full english breakfast (sasuages, bacon, scrambled eggs, toast and hashbrowns)

Lunch - Cress and egg sandwich

Dinner- slice of apple cake + oranges

Exercise - Walked all around london for literally 12 hours so I guess I burnt of everything I ate today.

(edited)

DAY 8 + 9

Ok, things are getting really hard now. This is where I'm struggling and my motivation is starting to run out.

I didn't do a hardwork out on monday, I was planning to but people who I was relying on to run with let me down. However I should have done a hard cardio workout by myself, but I didn't as I was too lazy.

Today, I went out for a light 3mile jog, and i felt really weak. I even had to stop and walk for a few hundred meters :( .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess my main problem is all to do with motivation. For the last 5 years or so I find myself only being able to devote my motivation to 1 specific area of my life. I find it difficult to put all my mental energy into more than one thing.

For the last 2 years I know I've dropped out of sports training so I can focus more on examinations than on doing well in sport.

This week has been really hard as its reading week at university, and I've got two peices of coursework to be getting on with. Now, I'm bound to fail both of these as the course is a new subject to me and I really dont understand it, but trying to be motivated on both doing well in work and putting lots of energy into getting fit is really difficult for me.

I guess I've got to just knuckle down and get it sorted. Well, now that thats said I guess I've let out some feelings and everything should be a bit clearer.

Edited by *BiGBonES**

I'm still here. Its not been going too well as I've had a cold and a few problems, but I think I've lost a lot of weight :D I'm going to get a measure up and a few pictures on friday/saturday.

My race plan will be to go full out. I know the pain, and I want the PAIN!!!!!! muhahaha!

Yeah well anyway, I'm going to go all out and put my machine through hell and back.

The hard thing will be watching the cambridge rowers around me who are l33t and will pwn m3 :(

Ok apparently according to the girlfriend I'm loosing a bit too much weight through cutting back on the food, but I cant give any figures because I have no scales in my dorm room.

I've noticed my stomach has shrunk a hell of a lot. I'm struggling to finish pizzas whereas a while ago i would have been able to finish a pizza in a couple of minutes.

Edited by *BiGBonES**

BiGBonES

Well today (my final day of training) went well, and I've managed to weigh up and get some times in on the rowing machine.

My starting weight was:

197pounds or 89.5kg

My goal for a 2000m row was:

7minutes

My current weight after weighing in today is:

188.5 pounds or 85.5kg

My current 2000m row time is:

7minutes 13 seconds

So I've nearly achieved my weight goal, although I'm very doubtful to whether or not I can loose much more weight without risking my health, so I'm glad about the weight.

I've missed out on my 2000m time, but hopefully I can pull things together on the day of competition. I trained last night pretty hard so I havent recovered from that, and on the day of competition I guess there will be a bit more adrenaline inside me to keep the pace up.

Your looking good Bigbones!!!! Your adrenelin will be enough to

make up the 13 extra seconds!!! You did'nt make it this far without

the drive to push yourself that extra little bit. It's that drive that will

give you those 13 extra seconds!

GO BIGBONES!!!!!!!

sub 7 will probably be an end of season goal. Depending on how hard I train and how well it pulls off I'll aim for 6.30 by next July, but if not that then anything like 6.45 will do.

Around 7minutes (give or take a second or two) would please me at the moment, as I'm still reasonably new and building the relevant muscles for rowing. Dont worry though ich, I'll be l337 soon :D I'm still 18, its still the first semester. I have 3 more years left until im done here so everything will work out nicely.

Sunday was a really long day. Got up at 6am after 4 hours sleep, and met up with our team then had a long coach journey to Birmingham. I got there and I've never seen so many rowing machines in the same building ever! There were about a hundred brand new machines where you did your race, and another 100 behind that where you warm up.

I'm going to get some pictures up tomorrow when the offical site is uploaded.

Times:

I pulled 7minutes 4 second, so I'm four seconds off my target, but pleased anyway. It was hard enough as it was.

I came 190th out of 236, which is rubbish to be honest but this had the best uni rowers from England rowing in it.

Winning time was 5.45 :=

My next goal will be to pull 6.55 before christmas, which will set me on the right tracks to reach 6.30 by the end of the season (June). Then next year I'll look to move down the rankings a lot more.

EDIT- just found a picture of what the arena looks like from 2003, but this years was a bit bigger:

27.jpg

Edited by *BiGBonES**