My BMI?

Fatty

Ok, I went to this site:

http://www.nutritiondata.com/calories-burned.php

And put in my current info.

It told me:

BMI & Calories Burned Report

You are a 33 year old man, 68 inches tall, with a current weight of 182 lbs. You lead a very active lifestyle, and participate in the following exercise:

40  minutes of running, 6 mph (10 min/mile)

20  minutes of weight lifting, light or moderate effort

Your Body Mass Index

Your current Body Mass Index (BMI) is 27.7.

BMI is a standardized ratio of weight to height, and is often used as a general indicator of health. The "normal" BMI for an adult man of your height is 18.5 to 24.9. This translates to a healthy weight range of 122 to 164 lbs. However, BMI does not take body composition into account. A weight above this range could still be considered healthy if your percentage body fat is less than average. For more accurate determination of body fat levels, consider using a body fat caliper, such as the one made by Accu-Measure.

Your Calories Burned

Here is an estimate of your daily energy needs...

Calories Burned

Daily Energy Expenditure:  3686 kcal (15433 kJ)

Additional Calories from Exercise:   + 687 kcal (2876 kJ)

Estimated Energy Requirement:  4373 kcal (18309 kJ)

Anyways, I'm not so concerned about the calorie stuff. What I want to know is if anyone here has a good grasp of BMI and how it's determined, etc. That thing tells me I have 27.7 Is this the same as a body fat % or do I need to do more reading on BMI and body fat %, etc?

Also, I couldn't be in that range (122-164) unless I lost a good deal of muscle. I'm not sure I have enough fat left to lose 18 more lbs of it. Not that I care about that 164 number...it's just for conversation's sake. You've seen my most recent pictures in the "Challenge Tracking Thread." Is this just one of those cases where those figures are designed for the average person and it doesn't apply to me or what?

Now, keep in mind that this is coming from the same guy who sat on one of those bloodpressure/doctor machines at 215-220 lbs and refused to believe I was in the obsese catagory. Looking back now, I do.

There has to be something wrong with that. I can't see any man at 5'8" and 122lbs as healthy, that sounds more like anorexic to me. I don't know anything about BMI, but from what that says I'd guess it has no relation to body fat %.

Looking at the pictures in the challenge thread, it looks to me like you're in pretty good shape at 182. Maybe they make up those numbers based on people who spend all day in an office and their most physically challenging task is turning the steering wheel?

BMI is a standardized ratio of weight to height, and is often used as a general indicator of health. The "normal" BMI for an adult man of your height is 18.5 to 24.9. This translates to a healthy weight range of 122 to 164 lbs. However, BMI does not take body composition into account. A weight above this range could still be considered healthy if your percentage body fat is less than average. For more accurate determination of body fat levels, consider using a body fat caliper, such as the one made by Accu-Measure.

Is this just one of those cases where those figures are designed for the average person and it doesn't apply to me or what?

YES!! Reread the first quote there.

BMI is a standardized ratio of weight to height

However, BMI does not take body composition into account. A weight above this range could still be considered healthy if your percentage body fat is less than average.

This is basically why I tell you every now and again that I think we should have our bodyfat % tested to see where we are. My BMI numbers have said that I have been grossly obease since I was like 10. I will admit that at times I have been overweight, but I've never been obease, much less grossly obease. All it does it take a ratio of your height to weight as said above. A cubic foot of muscle mass weighs much much more than a cubic foot of fat mass (I used a cubic foot, but basically its a volumetric weight difference). Therefore the more muscle mass you carry the more your BMI is going to be DEAD WRONG. If you can't tell, this has haunted me my whole life.

Yep -- BB got it. The BMI is for average people... it'll be thrown off for bodybuilders or people with more muscle mass. I'm 6'1 and 178lbs... it says I'm almost obese (even though my bodyfat percentage is 14%).

As far as bodyfat percentages go, I think men are supposed to be at 10-20%, and women should be at 20-30%.