Another good run this weekend

Flitterkill

1) Server was mostly full the majority of the weekend - nice to see. Friday ran late. Saturday ran thru to at least 230am Sun morn. and Sunday ran thru til Mon 130am.

2) Before you begin to blither about lag - seriously - look at your ping and P/L (packet loss). Do you have P/L? Nothing we can do about that - that's your connect to us - if you want to play with that kind of performance (and hell, I do as I have been having some router issues lately) pls. refrain from denigrating our servers as some folks have done with thier lag comments - "I got lag" is fine - "laggy server" is just blithering unless you know what you are talking about.

Same goes for those of you joining us with 250+ pings. You won't last too long here though if you do join us with that kind of ping count - the server will auto-boot 190+ pings (sustained over a few minutes) Why? No need to play here with that kind of handicap and it cuts down on folks blithering about the lag they think everyone has (which they don't)

Remember - Chicago, IL, USA server - Opteron 252

3) Expect the auto language warnings to increase in severity. Now, these are not seen unless you take to dropping the f-bombs and the like text-wise - and then only you will see them. Generally you get warned after a few passes through the filter which you all know and love. After that you get warned by the server (automatically) - then it will eventually mute you for the remainder of the map.

Gonna tighten that up a notch - attitude seems to getting a bit...hmmmm....off at times lately.

Remember - just a game folks - have fun and try and dial the attitude back a notch or two.

4) Stacked teams? Happens. /-=GC-=/ *try* to even things up but there is only so much we can do - ride it out and hope for a better mix next map. Hell, you'll see me flip to the losing side many times *before* the end of a round - its all fun.

5) Big hint folks (though if you are reading this you probably already know this...)

At start - Manta should (must!) give rides.

"But I want to get the manta!"

That's nice. If you are the first to get to it though - guess what?

"What?"

You should be a rider instead.

"Why? I got there first?"

That's nice - so let's run this through shall we?

You get there, get in, manta levitates in air then....

I) You take off with no passengers leaving behind people who could speed up node production - general complaining begins, your teammates now don't "think" you are teh suck, they *know* you are teh suck - wonderful...

"I won't do that - I'll get in and then wait!"

II) That's nice but guess what - it's twice as easy to get on the manta as a passanger when its ON THE GROUND then when its hovering in air.

You've seen folks *try* to hop on - works real well and happens the first time always right?

Right...

How it should go for a great manta start:

First two who get to the manta hop on - the best place is on TOP - not the paddles - on the paddles people can get knocked/fall off easy - very hard if you are on the spine.

If there are any others that are rushing the manta, let them take the paddles - they can try to stay on - that's fine.

Last there gets to drive. Deal with it. You can get your very own manta once the node comes up in a few seconds since you helped build primary with 3 or more people linked together.

"Ok - you convinced me - but I'm still going to throw shock and flak at the manta at start to let folks know I need a ride"

<insert insult directed at above speaker here>

Shoot shock into the air above and around but not at the manta (or your teammates? Fine.

Shoot shock and flak *AT* the manta? If you want to have the vehicle move and slide into and kill your teammates at start - sure - why not.

Teammates love to be killed by flak thrown at the vehicles at the start of a match.

Stop that.

Of course, if you get to the manta, hop on top, turn around and see no one coming towards you any time soon (and that's the key here) - then go. Same if you only have two at the manta - no one else - take off eh! Speed matters too but more people is nearly always much better.

5) They are not botting.

Seriously.

Just because they kill you efficiently all the time means nothing (well, might mean something about you... :) )

Did you know that if you bail out of a raptor real high in the sky, but you use the shield to break your fall, you'll survive!

Its true!

Its also true that you will have just a fraction of your health left.

It is also just as true that I saw you bail, got out my lightning gun, and aimed it at the spot on the ground where I saw you were going to land.

And then you landed at that spot with your 15 health left.

And that is that.

HAX FTW!

I could go on... Bit smart alecky on my part but the gist is that if you apply some thought, one can become ridiculously good and efficient at this game. Hell, if some folks are fast enough, they can hit you in mid-air as you are falling.

We have *LOTS* of competitive ONS players (teamwarfare.com, onscentral.com - check them out) who come here to play - sometimes they have thier clan tags on, other times they are aliasing - generally they don't suck - and they know how to really play. Watch, learn, have fun, no one is haxing.

Enjoy the server folks - keep the attitude in check, and by all means - have fun!

-Fk

All good points Flitter. I'm pretty guilty of hopping into a Manta and buzzing off without riders. Thanks for the tips on Manta teamwork. I'll use them as my bible now.

I have noticed things getting a little attitudy lately. I'm glad you see it too. The reason I came here was to avoid that. I remember logging in one afternoon and two or three guys were using the in game team speak to chit chat about whatever and were constantly slagging about the server and the players on it. It kinda' tinkled me off, but I'm not the language police, so I kept my mouth shut.

I have noticed that after playing with you guys and hopping on to a random server, I totally kick butt because of some of the trial by fire lessons you guys are dishing out. Thank you one and all.

All good points Flitter.  I'm pretty guilty of hopping into a Manta and buzzing off without riders.  Thanks for the tips on Manta teamwork.  I'll use them as my bible now.

Hey Filter -- does DSM have access to the TWL 6v6 forums yet?

http://www.gamrs.co/forums/in...p?showforum=107

DogStar -- if/when you do, there's a lot of information in there compiled by myself, Joss, Primus, and a few other people about tips and tricks for UT2004. You may find some of the stuff in there useful, being relatively new to UT.

ok, just one quick thing first---Flitter, its no wonder you don't have time to play :o:biglaugha: J/K. Ya I have noticed the tude myself lately. was wondering though, does the filter still mute you with the current swear word filter, aka gamerscoalition.com? If not, sorry dude, thats my mistake and I'll change that. As far as the tude is concerned, I am going to start being the bad guy here soon if nessesary, as there are some people that are getting a little frustrated with some of the atmosphere latley.

I also say HOORAH, the server has been very active for months now and I love it. Kudos to Flitterkill for the great job he has done with it. :luxhello: As busy as you are, you still find the time to fix any problems quickly and we all greatly appreciate it. :peace: I would like to extend an invite to DSM personally to practice tonight even if he has the time. We can go over things with him and explain the TWL and so on. Our Teamspeak server has been PM'd to him as of now, along with H's server IP and pw.

See you all in the pubs :D:peace:

I would like to extend an invite to DSM personally to practice tonight even if he has the time.  We can go over things with him and explain the TWL and so on.  Our Teamspeak server has been PM'd to him as of now, along with H's server IP and pw.

Thanks for the invite. I gotta' get my "LOST" on tonight, so I won't be able to make it tonight. I'll definitely take a rain check tho.

I think I'm gonna' have to consumate my love for GC as I'm having way too much fun for it to be free. The trail run is a success. You guys are fun too play with and now I'm dreaming about UT and fantasizing about Manta-hopping over cars on my work commute.