Racing games!

*BiGBonES**

Are there any driving/racing game fans out there?

I'm looking to get a steering wheel and footpedals for my PC at christmas, but I'm new to this genre of game.

I'm looking for a fast, action packed type of full on racing game, where you get behind the wheel of a car and see it in first person perspective, or can hover above the car. GTA isn't really my type of game, as I'm looking for more driving than missions.

So if anyone could recommend some games, I'd be very greatful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone got any recommendations for foot pedals and steering wheels?

I'm looking for a steering wheel that I can easily move around and will fix onto my desk with little effort.

Also, do you think a gear stick is necessary?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you think its a waste of money? Is this whole steering wheel thing over-rated? I think its a quality way to relax after doing some work, and will be quite a fun way to play some drinking games when I bring my friends round, but I could be wrong.

What are you waiting for? Discuss discuss discuss :bang:

I have a Logitech MOMO Force and its amazing. The force feedback is great, i might have mine set to high but i remember one time in NASCAR, i accidently ran into the center pit wall (yeah, i know, i suck at driving) and the wheel jerked out of my hand, it was then i realized it was worth every penny.

It screws onto a desk with rubber clamps and the pedals have groovy "carpet grippers" that work like velcro on carpets so they arn't sliding around. It also has a gear shifter which i use in games like Need for Speed but in NASCAR or Indy games i use the butterfly shifters directly behind the wheel. The wheel is all completly rubber so it never slips out of your hand when you're going around a corner or if your palms get sweaty.

I use it for every racing simulator/arcade game i have, Flatout, NASCAR, all the Need for Speed games, TOCA, and the list goes on and on.

The Logitech website says it costs $99.99, thats how much i paid for mine, but i know Newegg has it for around 70 and ZipZoomFly has it for around 60. Newegg also has pictures of the pedals. Even at 100 it was still more than worth it.

I've had mine for over a year now and it still works like new.

904.gif

Edit: I can do pictures too!

Edited by VooDooPC

If you're a F1 fan you should look no further that F1 Challenge 99-02 release. I know the game only goes to 2002 season, but there are mods for this game that include up to last season. This game is the best race sim I've ever played. Highly recommend. I also play NFSU and Colin Mcrae series, also highly recommended. Can't wait for NFSMW to be released in a week.

I have an old steeering wheel Microsoft Sidewinder

m101441.jpg

Got it 3 birthdays ago, and it's still awesome. It got paddles behind the wheel so if you're into F1 simulation it's perfect (I hate automatic trannies while racing). Nice force feedback and 6 extra buttons (which i use for pitstops, tc override and bunch of other stuff). I think that's as close as you will ever get to driving F1 car.

Let me know if you gonna play any of these games, maybe will race eachoter online...

Ok the feed back so far is looking good. I'll probably end up going for both an F1 game as I watched most of the last season, and the latest need for speed game as a few friends are always telling me its good. But I used to love the sega rally game that I played as a kid, I just remember sliding around corners in the mud, it was all fun. So Therefore I'll probably have to toss a coin over what ones I buy.

Vovik, hopefully I can race you (or just ram you off the track) but my college internet is an 'academic' network only so I doubt I'll be able to get through their blockage and play online :(

I like the look for voodoo's wheel more. I found the full set of pictures Here

It costs only $70 on newegg, but they dont ship th the uk so thats not an option.

Having looked at the cheapest UK price though its something like 78pounds, so its a lot lot more expensive over here than it is the the US.

Anyone else have any alternative options for the wheel + pads?

• 1 month later...

Big: Did you ever get a game and wheel?

I just picked up GT4 and I've been droooling over the Logitech Driving Force Pro. Trying to pull corners using the Dual shock for PS2 is very tough...not enough play in the analog sticks for my liking.

I've heard some really nasty reviews about the Momo and the same guy just cant get enough of the DFP.