I need a lawyer

Preacher

We are having a child care day at our church for single mothers to drop off thier kids to do Christmas shopping. Anyway I need to have the legalese expertise for a waver of responsibility if one of the kids is hurt. I could make one up that sounds good and all, but I would love it if one of the local law fellows would help me out.

I seem to remember that we had a lawyer among our gc crowd. Is it possible? Could it be? You tell me :)

DONT TAKE THIS AS PROFESSIONAL ADVISE

I have taken a law class in highschool and for what i understand is that anything that you will make up for a contract by yourself will be just a ruse to discurage the mothers to not sue you. IF i remember right you need a lawer to make it up so there is no way around it for people to sue you or the church. Since it has to be spacific to your situation.

Perhaps you can get a start with the liability waiver signed by the FF participants.

duma edit: My apologies Gond, but in the interest of keeping this on topic, and away from debate, I edited this post.

Edited by duma

Whether the parent can waive liability for their child is gonna be dependent on state law. So I don't know if it would be valid. If you ask me about Ohio law, I don't know off the top of my head, but could probably find out.

Here's some forms I found just perusing Google:

http://www.mannosidosis.org/conference/pdf...re%20Waiver.pdf

http://riskmanagement.vcbf.berkeley.edu/Fo...se%20Others.pdf

http://www.busserv.ucsb.edu/Forms/rm/WaiverFacUseOther.pdf

And my favorite, the dog waiver:

http://www.wecallroverover.com/pdf/Daycare...iver%20Form.pdf

Also, and this is important, you need to have the parents to give you permission to have the child medically treated in case of an emergency.

And by all means, don't forget to add "This is a church for pete's sake. If you even think about suing us please remember, we have connections. The plagues ring a bell?" :)

what are you trying to get at duma!   :erm:

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. If it is why I edited his post, I left it vague to prevent a debate. As this is the general chit chat, and not the policitical debate forum, it should be obvious that the post, though I am sure it was unintentional, displayed a bit of politics that I felt was better left for another forum, or in the very least, a different thread.

BTW, X, I have done a bit of research for you concering his question. I am not finding much about parental waivers of torts for the state of Mo. If I find anything, I wil pm you... (better to come from you, then from me - see Ohio Bar Application) btw, you might want to mention to him the difference in waiving a negligent tort, from an intentional one (I'm sure he needn't worry about either, but one never knows). :)

Edited by duma

btw, you might want to mention to him the difference in waiving a negligent tort, from an intentional one (I'm sure he needn't worry about either, but one never knows). :)

I'm gonna guess that since this is a church there won't be mass beatings of the children, or fireball, or other dangerous activities. :)

But, yeah, any waiver, if valid, isn't a license to kill. There are still duties of care owed to the children.

Well at our church we do train all kids under the age of 3 in the proper use of a flame thrower, but we do make them wear safety glasses.

Thanks Mr. X I plan to adapt the first one to our needs. We mainly are concerned with a kid falling and breaking a tooth or being allergic to flour and eating a cookie. We will explain all activities to the parents prior to their departure and heck it's only from 2-5pm for one afternoon. We will have a digital camera to take a picture of the child with the parent and the pictures must match for the kid to be released.

We don't like to threaten with the plagues unless they hold us captive. In that case we'll wheel in a case of frogs to show we mean business.

Thanks for the help guys.