PCI/Graphic Card Coolers

waterox

Howdy all. I'm interested in a cooling soluton for my graphics card and my chipset fan. The gfx card extends out in front of the chipset fan and occludes the airflow somewhat, and MBM says the two temps get up to around 50-52ºC during an intense fragfest. I don't think it's that big of a deal, because I think the card is rated to around 70ºC but I'm not sure, so I am researching some sort of cooling device. It's an EVGA 7800GT PCIe, installed in a DFI LanParty nf4 Ultra-D

I'm considering buying some sort of slot cooler like this fancy one or this less fancy one?

i like the fancy one b/c it has two fans, one that blows directly on the gpu and one for venting. I thinkthat one would do a nice job, but it has a red LED that would clash with my otherwise blue lighting scheme :-P

Does anyone here have something like this running in their rig, and is it worth it? I don't even know if I should be trying to get a cooler box because it might not even be worth it.

The link to the fancy one has some bad info. Here's a link to it at Newegg.com . The link you gave shows it moving 1 - 3 CFM, and I figured that was wrong.

Fans add a lot of noise, so if you're going for silent or quiet operation the fancy is the better choice because it is adjustable so that you can crank of the wind (and noise) while you are fragging with headphones and need the cooling.

Yes, cooling is worth 20 bucks just to help things last longer. Do you have other fans on your case? If so, make sure that you balance the airflow. You need intake and exhaust so that you don't build up pressure or a vacuum.