a friend's WAN issues

EbilDustBunny

Yeah got kidnapped and taken to a friend's house...

SHe's back with her parents for the winter break and she can't seem to get her laptop on the wireless network. Her mom has a laptop and my other friend's laptop is here... they both connect just fine after they enter the WEP key.

On hers... I disable EVERY other port except the wireless... she had a few neighbors with unsecured wireless...so right now I'm trying for the 3rd time to scan for viruses... but she's pretty clean after I cleaned it a couple months ago.

Well she can hop onto the neighbors' connections fine... but when she tries to connect to the home WAN... it just searches for it doesn't even ask for the WEP key and the search dialog box goes away. It searches for ever... I don't see anything physically wrong with her unit or software wise.

Anyone have any suggestions? They were on the phone with d-link before they napped me and they were told to call dell... i was afraid that... I rather die then call DELL.

I have 3 suggestions.

1, Make sure the wireless card is getting addresses from dhcp, meaning nothing entered in ctrl panel >network connections > wireless cards > tcpip properties. Try run > cmd > ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew to see if it even tries to check for an ip address.

2, Check the wireless router to see if it has mac address access filters on. If it does, you would need to add the laptop's wireless mac addy to the approved list.

3, Check the router to see if it's broadcasting ssid. If it's not, you usually have to enter the name manually somehow.

If you need more detail on how to do this just ask, dunno how much you know about networking in XP. In order to check the router you have to know how to log on to it.

I have 3 suggestions.

1, Make sure the wireless card is getting addresses from dhcp, meaning nothing entered in ctrl panel >network connections > wireless cards > tcpip properties.  Try run > cmd > ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew to see if it even tries to check for an ip address.

2, Check the wireless router to see if it has mac address access filters on.  If it does, you would need to add the laptop's wireless mac addy to the approved list.

3, Check the router to see if it's broadcasting ssid.  If it's not, you usually have to enter the name manually somehow.

If you need more detail on how to do this just ask, dunno how much you know about networking in XP.  In order to check the router you have to know how to log on to it.

heheheheh yeah nothing was wrong with anything.... but for some reason. Her laptop was set on open key and not shared key so I just had to switch the setting for the WEP... yeah something that I didn't think of until like a along while later. It always the last thing you'd think of. :shrug03: