Metroid Prime Hunters

JackieChan

Anyone preorder this yet? I did earlier today. It's scheduled for a march 21st release.

MP is taking advantage of the microphone in multiplayer now. Players will be able to chat before and after each game which is a pretty big plus... wish they had it during game too... oh well. Plus, there are bots you can play against too.. gotta love bots.

Sounds cool, but I didnt care for the controls when I played the Demo. I would get it if the controls were better.

I'm pretty sure they will be... That plastic shoe thing is worthless.

I want to get the DS Lite. I hope they will allow you to trade in your old DS for a DS lite at stores... the lite has it's own screen protector... I want one...

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.planetgamecube.com/previewArt.cfm?artid=3691

Setting up a multiplayer game in Hunters is a lot more open than in Mario Kart DS. After you decide whether to play worldwide or with friends, you can choose from a list of games waiting for players, view the details on each game, or create a game yourself. If you decide to host a game, you will be able to choose from a number of different rules pertaining to the mode you want to play, you will choose the arena, and you will be able to decide whether or not to allow friendly fire between teammates. Once you've chosen a game, you'll enter a lobby with the other players where you'll be able to chat with people on your friends list, either by text or by holding down the X button to activate the microphone like a walkie-talkie. Once each player has settled on the character they want to use, the host can start the game at any time, no matter how many players have joined. After the match, you'll reconvene briefly to look at the scores and smack talk a bit.

There are seven modes of play to choose from in multiplayer.

-Battle is a standard deathmatch in which the player to get the most kills in the time limit wins.

-Survival is a stock match that continues until one player is left standing.

-Prime Hunter is sort of a game of tag. The first player to get a kill becomes the Prime Hunter, and his power will drain continuously unless he kills other players. If another player kills the Prime Hunter, they will become the new Prime Hunter, and whoever has carried the title longest at the end of the match wins.

-Capture has you grabbing a crystal and returning to your base. However, once you have the crystal, you are prohibited from changing into your alternate form, making you a slower target.

-Bounty is a variation of Capture.

-Defender requires you to control a certain section of the map longer than your opponents, king of the hill style.

-Nodes is similar to Defender, but with multiple rings scattered throughout the environment that you have to take control of.

Part of the robust online system of Metroid Prime Hunters is each player's Hunters License, which tracks tons of stats including kills, wins, streaks, favorite weapons/characters/stages, lucky stages (where you get the most wins), time played, distance covered, etc. After playing Mario Kart DS online, the Hunters designers were fed up with players dropping out of games, so they added connection history to the stats, so other players can see how often you stay connected to the games you start. Brilliantly, this rating only counts when players power-off their DS systems in the middle of a game, not when they lose a connection based on technical problems. Your Hunters License is further expanded if you log into the Wi-Fi Connection web site, allowing you to compare your scores to those of friends and rivals. You will even be able to browse your friends' friend lists to see if anyone else you know is playing the game, although you will still have to contact that person directly for his or her friend code.

GAHHHHH!!!!

My stupid order with Amazon got delayed to 2nd week of April! NOOOOOOOO

I wonder if I should cancel it and go with EBgames or something.

When is the game due to come out? I think I may wanna buy it for the WiFi play. Yet Im still kinda scared about the touch screen controls...

When I used to preorder I would either preorder with either EB or GameStop. GameStop has never let me down. EB only did once. Back when Zelda 64 came out. I had to wait about a week after release day, which wasnt a big deal, but that was the only time they didnt deliver on time.

Yet, I dont preorder anymore because I dont have trouble getting games on release day.

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)
Yomamma, I know you didnt like the controls on the demo for MPH. Are you able to change the controls in the full version??

Thankfully, YES! There is a STYLUS MODE and a DUAL MODE. Both can be configured for either LEFT or RIGHT handed. Also you can use NORMAL or INVERSE viewing.

I am using DUAL MODE RIGHT HANDED with INVERSE viewing and I like it a lot better then the touch screen for looking. Yet, you still use the touch screen for some controls.

+Control Pad - Move & Strafe

A,B,X,Y - Look around

R - Jump

L - Shoot

Touch Screen - Change to/from morph ball.

Touch Screen - Change to/from missle/primary blaster/secondary blaster

Touch Screen - Change to Scan Visor.

Edited by YoMamma

(edited)

Oh gosh thats terrible man, how can you use the buttons to look up-down-left-right???!!! I dip my thumb in hot candle wax, and use the touch screen for looking.. LOL no, I am keen to using the thumbstrap.. It makes it about as good as a mouse, for fps's.. I think im gonna find or invent a thumb Ring with a stylus tip on the side of the thumb, or directed at an angle that makes it less painful..

Edited by Batman

GC Alumni
(edited)

Yomamma, I know you didnt like the controls on the demo for MPH. Are you able to change the controls in the full version??

Thankfully, YES! There is a STYLUS MODE and a DUAL MODE. Both can be configured for either LEFT or RIGHT handed. Also you can use NORMAL or INVERSE viewing.

I am using DUAL MODE RIGHT HANDED with INVERSE viewing and I like it a lot better then the touch screen for looking. Yet, you still use the touch screen for some controls.

+Control Pad - Move & Strafe

A,B,X,Y - Look around

R - Jump

L - Shoot

Touch Screen - Change to/from morph ball.

Touch Screen - Change to/from missle/primary blaster/secondary blaster

Touch Screen - Change to Scan Visor.

Uhh.... I was able to use the A,B,Y,X as look controls for the demo version also. I had to look kind of hard though.

I am keen to using the thumbstrap.. It makes it about as good as a mouse, for fps's.. I think im gonna find or invent a thumb Ring with a stylus tip on the side of the thumb, or directed at an angle that makes it less painful..

I scratched my touch screen with that thing and took it off. I'm not using that again until I get the DS Lite.

Edited by JackieChan

Mine is smooth as a baby's butt... Its never scratched my screen, you must push to hard..

Hopefully gamestop ships out the other game I bought, Tao: Curse of the Demon Seal.. Tao is all touch pad controls, from what I hear you dont use any buttons at all..