world crashed lol

ok my av found steam to be a pup potentially unwanted program and I am like ok so run anti virus scan takes so long fell asleep.

woke up saw screen horizontally doing streaks bad sign I have burnt up video cards before so knew the signs rebooted comp got a serious blue screen death nv4_disp internal loop error! (search it) I have a nvidia video so right away after quick internet search in safe mode I knew I had some serious problem....ok next day go and get another video card install with fingers crossed and blue screen death solved yea!

now my av and firewall will not boot just showing a certain file not found and disables both!.... grrrr how do you surf the net or play games without a firewall right?

so reinstall antivirus and firewall and delete all steam--- then with new video card reinstall steam half life2 and counter strike about 2 hours later after updates---cannot run game without.. older games would let you play without updates? but not steam!?

after reinstalling half life 2 I run CS:S window says launching game then nothing.....launch half life 2 it launches then nothing..... steam still runnning everything in good standing

in the process ran av and found old files in system restore that say pup,,,,I deleted oops now even after 3 system restores maybe it really won't work now...

to make a long story long again lol found that when installing new video card it saw dirextx as 9.0 and did not update I imagine that steam had a conflict with directx not sure but upgraded to directx 9.0c now game launches world crashing is stabilized at least until the next update so problem solved after 4 days of stress!

game on.. see you in the battlefield!

Edited by w8t4time

LOL! What a mess! I remember I ran scan disk once and I saw in a quick second as it went 'Corrupt file: [name] . . . truncating . . . .' I'm like 'TRUNCATING! WHAT THE HECK IS TRUNCATING!?' I hurriedly and worriedly rushed to the file as soon as logged in, and sure enough, not only it, but many other files of the same nature are gone - vanished - i even tried a file restoration progam, system restore, everything . . .

The files? 1 full-length, 450 page novel...one 370 page novel....and one 25 page start of a novel...

Needless to say, I obviously bawled my eyes out. It seemed there was a problem when WordPerfect closed and it completely corrupted the files, as the three missing were the ones I had open.

your a writer? cool! suggest always coping files to disk as you write IMO

never trust a comp to save your important stuff

actually that sounds like nortons am I right? symantic made my life a living you know what! before----- won't go down that road again!!

Edited by w8t4time

I always send my important word documents to my online vault. I also keep a copy on a flash drive. So, if I lose my pc, I have two other backups. That paid off when my laptop died. I laugh at those who mock me for it.

Wow that was one confusing post...I still can't figure out what you're talking about...

grrrr how do you surf the net or play games without a firewall right?

You turn it off and enjoy the ride...

older games would let you play without updates? but not steam!?

What older games? Single player games are fine but generally you need the same version of a game to play online with other people...and if steam was still updating when you tried to load HL or CS then it probably wouldn't work too well...

Oh and poor saris...that really sucks...I once, while cleaning my desktop (I get really messy) was moving my music folder and accidentally dropped it into the recycling bin...and of course the recycling bin deletes any file over 2 gigs or something without even asking you...I was literally banging my head against my desk so hard! oh and it wasn't mp3s of other artists, they were all my own personal songs...I lost close to 100 beats that day and many finished tunes...I have some of them backed up to disk but only the completed format...so no remixes or remasters... :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang: