More comps more problems

Ok guys, got a new one going now. I recently built a webserver to be hosted from my house off of my home network. I have NetDSL 800 modem and a D-Link 604 router running right now. I have internet connection on both of my comps and my server working right now, I have configured the router to push all the ftp and http traffic to the server via the virtual server aspect of my router. Now, I know my modem has a built-in firewall and that there is either a way around it or a way to turn it off, but I am having a hard time finding out how and the resources to get it done. I have searched every search engine I can find and have not been able to get it done yet. My question is does anyone know how to do this or think they can at least get me in the right direction?

And, yes it is throut MSN powered by Qwest, I know they suck but they are my only option right now unless I want to go dial-up and I don't. So, beyond the drop qwest and get a new isp, what can you tell me?

Thanks in advance,

Bubble

My thought other than a router issue is that maybe your ISP blocks port 80, which is where web traffic comes through. I think Hendryx tried to host a site once but couldn't because of this. If you haven't you might want to try getting web traffic from another port, but I couldn't be sure how to go about doing so in your case.

You can get web traffic on any port but it has to be specified in the URL such as "http://www.myserver.com:8080". You also have to have your webserver listening on that port. Course people visiting would need to know that to specify since browsers will ONLY go on port 80 unless specified.

Far as your modem. It would not suprise me if you had to direct connect to the modem to do any config settings. Going through the router might cause issues.

Doesn't ZD work for MSN?

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests

Your best bet here is to this. For the sake of technical support, remove the router and do a direct connect to the modem to see if this works. Or, if your router is a NAT router, then try DMZ mode. As for the Modem, I recommend you call MSN Broadband support and explain to them what you are trying to do. I think you should first remove the router and see if it works. If it doesn't work, then call MSN. 1-800-221-7779

K guys...thanks for your help, I took ZD's advice and called MSN support and they were actually helpful this time....kudos to them....anyway, this is what I found out if anyone would like to know.

They have had a bunch of people call and complain about this and are currently putting together a website that will let you go into your modem and configure the modem's firewall. They are saying it has already been started, although still underconstruction, and should be done by Feb. 15th. The web address is https://dslprofile.msn.com.

Thanks for your help guys.

Bubble