RAID

DNA

:bang: OKay so the other day I went to boot and got a raid error and the mirror needed to be redone. I did this but it said the drive has errors or something. I can still boot the one drive, but need to find out which one is bad so I can RMA it. Any help?

Also can I set up a Raid 0 with a drive that already is installed?

And how can I make a Shawdow copy of the drive. Under Windows backup I keep getting errors that it can not done. Please let me know what you all know, Thanks.

:bang: OKay so the other day I went to boot and got a raid error and the mirror needed to be redone. I did this but it said the drive has errors or something. I can still boot the one drive, but need to find out which one is bad so I can RMA it. Any help?

Try manual disconnecting the power cord off the drive to see which is bad.

Also can I set up a Raid 0 with a drive that already is installed?

No, you must start from scratch since half of the data is on one drive while other half is on the other.

And how can I make a Shawdow copy of the drive. Under Windows backup I keep getting errors that it can not done. Please let me know what you all know, Thanks.

Best way is to buy a program thats meant for this. Lots of different ones to choose from, Norton Ghost is the one I have used in the past.

Best way is to buy a program thats meant for this. Lots of different ones to choose from, Norton Ghost is the one I have used in the past.

I want to throw in my .02 for Ghost. We use it at our office to create a standard distribution across our desktops, and it works great, compression too iirc. It can back up or restore our (I believe) 12 GB images across a 100 MBit link in about 40 minutes. Also, it's pretty stupid-simple to use: Backing up across the network can take a bit of tweaking with the boot disk, but there are plenty of FAQs online on how to make a proper boot disk and load the right drivers, so it's really easy. Oh, on the subject of drivers, if you format and start fresh you can tweak the Windows setup to basically act like a new computer and then it will be very resilient to changes in hardware. Motherboard changes are iffy, but most other components can change pretty dramatically because it will install the drivers as needed.

The best part is, I think I picked up Ghost on Newegg for $20 (iirc it was an antivirus suite, with Ghost as one of the many components of the suite...Bonus!).