Bots in Spectator Mode?

Braden

(edited)

Have we really sunk so low as to have to put bots in spectator mode just to trick people into joining the servers? What gives? I expect that type of behaviour from people who try to con me into buying their products by trying to artifically make them look good, not GC.

This post might sound a little harsh, but I am not wanting one of my favourite CS communities to sink to that level.

Please tell me that I have it all wrong.

*|CsLs|* Braden

Edited by Braden

Great post... :boo:

Um, way how I see it, if we get the server populated earlier and longer then we provide a better gaming environment. John has tried this out in Immu and has great success with keeping the server going. Would you rather sit in an empty server waiting, or have some bots to play around with...

Thanks for the reply.

Well, I don't know. There is a tradeoff. GC has always come off to be as being pure from the standpoint of creating rules, sticking to them, encouraging people to respect eachother. This just seems... shady/deceptive. It just kind of astonished me (I guess is what you call it) (I wasn't expecting it). Anyways, I have voiced my concerns. I hope it helps.

*|CsLs|* Braden

back when I played alot, I hated the when ppl put bots in game to get people in. Putting them in specatator mode, im not sure of. Sure it will make people join the server, but as soon as I see the server is full of bots, I will leave and Im sure many people will do this, so in the end, it will take forever for a server to fill up, or your going to have a server full of specatating bots.

back when I played alot, I hated the when ppl put bots in game to get people in. Putting them in specatator mode, im not sure of. Sure it will make people join the server, but as soon as I see the server is full of bots, I will leave and Im sure many people will do this, so in the end, it will take forever for a server to fill up, or your going to have a server full of specatating bots.
nah you're right, if they were all spectating people would just bail. but the way it's setup now is to have 4 bots ingame, running around, sort of like target practice with AI. as soon as 4 real people are in the game, those bots disappear. there are a few bots beyond that in spec, but they don't interfere with the game.

i've been doing this out west for a while now and had no complaints. seems most people prefer the admins trying to populate a server over running around de_dust trying to shoot the cans waiting for other people to join a 1/24 server. i'll try and remember to bump this post in a week or 2 with some traffic stats. that should be a pretty convincing argument.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

I've visited a few servers that do the fake spectator thing and it works. I join and realize there are 8 people in game rather than 16 but play anyway since there are some there. It usually fills up.