DALLAS NOW LIVE!

Flitterkill

Back to 26 and 2

Opteron 254 (a bump of 2 which I'm sure will make loads of difference... :P )

Straight dump of everything from Chicago so we are already good to go

I went from a average of 40 ping to Chicago to about a 50-60 ping to Dallas. No complaints here.

Chicago server is now on 1 player, 20 spec, no bots, and a single text line spammed for long periods of time advertising our new location (changed the server name to point to new Dallas location as well) Chicago stays active for a day or two (maybe through the weekend) then it is gone.

Private server has an IP change as well - see those forums for the details.

-Fk

The great thing about UT is that hop number only really effects your ping but not so much your playing ability.

Heck, in CS, if your ping is too high then your single deadly bullet aimed at someones head can completely miss and your recoil ensures you'll die before you get another chance.

I could probably play extremely competativly with a ping >100 in UT...but I'm pretty much toast in CS with the same ping.

So, how does the Dallas server play?? :)

So, how does the Dallas server play?? :)

I will let the others wade in on how it played for them but for me it was horrendous. My ping's were up around 300 so I was getting booted even if I did try to play. I was hoping it would be around the same as I had before but no such luck. When the server was in Chicago it was significantly better than this for me. But I am just one person so Dallas may be better for others.

Kind of sucks for me though to have just joined GC (mainly because I play UT) and then to have this happen. :(

*sigh*.....Of course this may mean I will have to try to learn to play CS now. Ping's to those GC servers remain good for me so I may need to check it out some more.

-Gorgonzolla

Yeah it was really bad for Gorg. For most everyone else things seemed to be going well with an average of 10-20 increase in pings until we filled up Severance. It got very choppy. Most GC playing were in TS so everyone at once started talking about lag. Watched "stat net" while I played all night last night and there was no packet loss (great thing!). Considering this was a straight dump of our other box, 1st guess would be bandwidth then I wonder if we are as alone as we were before when we could hog all processing power.

(edited)

Yeah it got a little choppy with a couple of scary spikes, but it's nowhere near as bad as before. As long as there is minimal packet loss, the lag doesn't bother me personally. Sucks that gorg pings so bad, although it could be a temporary problem.

And I agree with brillow the ping matters much less in UT than other games (especially onslaught).

Edited by Wentz

GC Board Member

Remember - this is pretty much to tie us over until Chicago comes back online for vipers (i.e. without the packet loss) - once he's back in biz there we'll just bump right back up there.

Keep an eye on that chop - might have been a one-off (hopefully) but if it is persistant with full servers I will need to know.

-Fk

Pings for me are about 50-70 I move around though from 35 to 80 depending on map. No PL though. Can't figure out why Wentz's ping is so bad. Up around 150 to 200 somtimes. Tends to get a little chopy when it gets full. 20+ players and you can see some chop come in. ohter than that it runs pretty smooth up to about 18 even 20.

My ping does that because of my connection. About 4-5 times a day my ping spikes to 200 pretty much everywhere and there's nothing I can do about it until I move back into town.