freeze ups when using dvd-rw drives

Preacher

Well gaming = awesome

normal apps = awesome

burning cd's, installing multiple cd games and apps = frustrating.

It seems like whenever I install a multiple cd application or game (2 or more CDs involved in the install) my system will freeze when I put the 2nd or 3rd cd in the drive. no mouse movement, ctrl/alt/del no worky ect. I did notice that my time updates normally though so I'm wondering what on Earth this could be.

I have 2 Sony DVD+/-RW +RAM drives that seem to work fine most of the time. 500 Watt Ultra X-Connect P/S, 2 GB RAM, 4400 x2 CPU, Asus A8R32-MVP Delux mobo all running at temps around 31 load.

Any suggestions? Everything is brand new except the P/S and a slot fan so I'm kinda at a loss.

Well my friend used to work for a company who sold those Ultra-X Connects and he said they would get so many of them back because of voltage problems, or they would just burn out. He said they dont give a consistant voltage for some reason. I have never personally tested one but I trust what he says.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Those Ultra's have been tested many times and the voltage has been rock steady. I use the 550Watt without problem so... I doubt this is a PSU problem to begin with.

Sounds like a driver problem since it is both drives or a setting on that IDE channel.

I say clear your cmos settings back to default and try again before doing any changing. May be some setting causing that. I have seen that before.

Well honestly I already ordered the new one anyway. I was unhappy using a 20-24 pin cable. I would prefer to have the 24 pin cable as a standard. I spent way too much on this system to cheap out. You do have a valid point on the IDE channels I think I'll run a seperate one for each drive.

Well I tried putting them on seperate IDE cables and I tried leaving one unplugged from the motherboard (IDE and Power) and it still does it. Just freezes up when you insert a CD/DVD when asked. I sometimes get to cd 2 and sometimes to cd 4 before it does it's little frozen desktop number, but it's pretty consistant.

If the new Power supply doesn't work I'll be at a complete loss for what to do.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

I had this issue when I used an Nforce 2 mobo. It had to do with the Nforce2 IDE drivers. If you are using ATI's IDE drivers, try uninstalling and then using just the windows IDE drivers by skipping the ATI IDE install. I've never done the ATI chipset thing before.

Also check for a Bios update. This may be an issue that has been fixed.

If it's worth the time to you, try a different power cable from the PSU. Or, if you have multiple HDs, unplug one you don't need to boot and see if that makes a difference, especially if you plug that cable (which works) into the drive in question directly. Especially if the PSU has ever been jarred (transport, short drop, etc.) it's not necessarily guaranteed that everything's kosher. I've never had an Ultra-X open, but it could possibly be a cabling issue as several people pointed out, and this will help diagnose it (though not guaranteed).

Well I am at a loss for what to do here. New PS came today and I swapped it out with my other one. The only difference is now my voltage reads correctly at 3.3. I'm just not sure what to do next.

ZD how can I install the stock drivers for IDE?

Just for clarification here is what is happening:

Everything works flawlessly on my PC except I freeze up when it says "Please insert CD/DVD into drive". I'll put the cd into the drive, close the door and like 2 seconds later mouse cursor freezes. My clock continues to run, but other than that I can do nothing but hit restart. (ctrl,alt, del does not function)

Anyone have a clue?

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Try this Preacher. Uninstall the ATI chipset drivers completely.

Reboot and then reinstall the drivers. There MAY be an option to install the ATI IDE drivers or to skip them. See if that exists.

tried this, still freezing up

Did some searching and found others who had same issue but no solution. I don't think it's mobo or driver issues. I'm thinking it might be an XP bug or some kind of issue with the sony firmware on the drive itself. I say that because the people having the problems were using either lite-on or sony drives too. I'm going to pop in a regular LG CDRW drive I have upstairs and see what it does.

not even sure if I have a game that uses this, anyone know of a list of can lsit some games that use it. The one's I've seen that had issues were games I do not use.

Google is our friend:

http://darklink2135.com/?page_id=6

Now, I don't generally find blogs to be an authority on...well...anything. However, I haven't found a serious attempt to catalog these games that (1) stayed around for more than a week or two and (2) WASN'T on a blog, so this is as good as any other for now.

My big disappointment was Splinter Cell 3: Chaos Theory. I bought the game when it came out, and not only was I not able to run it sufficiently fast to be able to do anything in-game, I found out later I was 1337|-|4X0rd. Oh, well, fortunately I bought it at a nice discount and I bummed around on other peoples' computers to get a few levels in.

Well I don't even have one of those games so I'm going to just assume I don't have this issue.

I prolly will be unable to do it till like Sat night or Sunday but I guess the next step is to put in a different cd rom drive and give that a go. I may also pop in an old promise card and try going off the PCI channel.

Wow, so weird. I hate to suggest a reformat...Do you have a spare HD lying around? You can try a fresh install on that.

Though you might try booting from a bootable CD/DVD (such as the Windows install disc or a Knoppix disc) and seeing if the drive reads successfully. If it reads, crash / quit out to a shell of some sort and issue some read commands to the disc, maybe copy stuff off of it to the HD. Whether or not that works, that would give you an extra clue.

Sorry, man, I wish there was some real good cue we could work off of. Let us know how the Promise card works, and you might run checks on the rest of your system (memtest, etc.) just to be sure. Windows does some weird things sometimes.