Problem with Microphone

Mr.Cool

so this is the situation:

last night, when i played in the spawn match, i realized my microphone didnt work. well after going through all the basic checks (wire plug, volume, etc.....) i realized it had something to do with battlefield 2

I tested the microphone by using the microphone test thingy on control panel. I tested this twice, once with bf2 running and once without.

for some reason, when i open battlefield 2, the microphone would work. I dont have to be playin the game, as long as the game runs the microphone would work.

Well, if i exit the game, the microphone ends up not working again.

anyone know any way i can fix this and why bf2 causes the microphone to malfunction?

thnx in advance

I dont know...I have somewhat the same issues with CS with mine. Its sounds great when I use it out of game but in game I get some feed back. Sometimes I will disconnect it and re-run the wire and that helps, but this sounds like something else.

Cool...test you mic in source under options>voice without bf2 running then report back to me

DNA...is your mic a head set mic? are you using speakers instead of headphones? (using the mic with speakers will cause feedback!) when you use the mic out of game it's using a different codec than the one source uses, which is crap...ie. why TS sounds a billion times better than source...or are you talking specifically through TS?

Microsoft has a program that some games piggy back off of. It is speech recognition. I had a problem with UT at first because of this.

I search on my computer for this but can't find it. Anywho, try speech recognition on Microsoft.

Cool...test you mic in source under options>voice without bf2 running then report back to me

DNA...is your mic a head set mic? are you using speakers instead of headphones? (using the mic with speakers will cause feedback!) when you use the mic out of game it's using a different codec than the one source uses, which is crap...ie. why TS sounds a billion times better than source...or are you talking specifically through TS?

Ya it is the headset...It is mostly in game but I get it after awhile in TS also, people say it sounds like a fan is blowing across it when it starts to get bad. I then unplug the mic run the wire away from everything else again and usually works really good again. It seems like something feedbakc or something is building in the mic or on the sound card?? Dont know..;-(

to mo: i tested it without bf2 running, and the bar showed nothing. no matter how loud i yelll or scream it doesnt get anything.

Ok...go into your Control Panel and then into Sounds and Audio Devices and make sure you have the correct devices selected for what you are trying to use them for...ie...if you are using Soundblaster card or something similar for audio output and mic input, make sure it's set for both (under audio<sound playback & sound recording....for instance on mine I use a logitech USB headset for sound recording (ie voice) and a soundcard for music/game sounds...so for sound playback it's set to the soundcard and for sound recording it's set to use the USB headset (which has it's own sound card built in...for reference)

Now I can't remember off hand if you have to set your devices in CSS or not, but check to make sure

It also might be useful to check to see if you mic picks up in windows...ie open the sound recorder (Start>Programs>Accessories>Entertainment>Sound recorder)

I'll come back in a bit to update this...I'm having a really rough morning at work (yes...one that doesn't allow me to lounge in the forums :biglaugha: )

okay so i checked the sounds and audio devices and everything was selected to the right thing.

i also tried recording it with the sound recorder but it still picked up nothin (unless bf2 is running)

i havent had much time to reinstall bf2 yet, so maybe that'll solve the problem.

That's really strange...have you visited any bf2 forums for help or to search for similar problems?

*passes out*

yes and there was no help, so im just gona try the good old reinstall wen i get time.

*hands mo a beer, maybe that'll help :peace: *