Greatest MC?

akaM2

Greatest MC  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So who do you believe is the greatest MC? I like rap, do others here?

Just wondering who you think the greatest MC is, post up your feelings and I will add them to the poll if they are not there.

I have to go with tupac just for how nice he flowed and that he could make a song to play at a party then one to change the way people thing like brenda's got a baby and changes.

I can't believe I'm the only person who voted for Biggie...all the others are just small time compared to the black rhinoceros of rap (how preposterous is that?)...I'm aslo insulted as a white boy that JayZ is on this list...Jay couldn't rap if it was christmas! Eminem's first 2 albums were good but then he started to reuse everything, which is a no no...

You also forgot people like Big L (jeez...) and of course Freddie Foxx...Slick Rick...Acy...Black Thought...Smiff n Wessun (aka the Cocoa Brovas)...Necro...the guys from Non-Fixion and Jedi Mind Tricks...oh and of course Sean Paul before he sold out (that was 5+ years ago btw)...Capleton, can't forget capleton...Jeez...Method Man and of course Ghostface (who writes most of wu's lyrics) and Big Baby Jesus...Masta Ace...these are all people worthy of being on a list where Biggie wins......no one could ever touch Biggie...no one...ever...I'm sorry to squash anyones dreams but there is no contest...topic closed (I wish)

If I had to pick one of these guys, I'd pick Biggie.

I don't think you can name just one "Best MC of All Time" though. There are too many styles. I have a hard time voting for someone who has great rhyme and flow skills if all they rap about is big booty chicks, smokin' dope, and their new ride or gat. :freak3:

I'll add a few nominees. How about Guru and KRS-One? I also have to mention the Beastie Boys because of their incredible longevity. How about Eric B and Rakim? Chuck D for message alone...?

For me, when discussing the greatest MCs and DJs, it all depends on the style of rap and the music, and whether or not you take the substance of what they are saying into account.

My friend and I discuss this every now and then. The last time we did it was like this: "If you were going to suggest to someone (who had never listened to rap before) 5 rap/hip-hop groups, who would it be?" The idea being to give them a well-rounded intro to the genre. I can't do it. I can't just give 5!

Public Enemy

KRS-One

Notorious BIG

Beastie Boys

Wu-Tang Clan

Ice Cube

Gang Starr

A Tribe Called Quest

DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince

The Fugees

You might be able to tell that I'm a little biased to the past. I'm not much of a fan of new rap/hip-hop.

I can't believe I'm the only person who voted for Biggie

3 people voted :P

I am torn between BIG and tupac. hmmm Jay Z really only got huge with his "retirement"

BIG did in 2 summers what took jay z to do in 6 years.

I threw eminem up there due to how he changed rap imo, he brought the midwest "white" crowd into it. Even though I listened way before eminem and never liked him till after 8mile

whenever you're into some real hip hop, oink this m2:

atmosphere / slug

murs

aceyalone

project blowed

eyedea

qwel

quasimoto

common

sage francis

non prophets

living legends

haiku de'tat

denizen kane

i need a bigger ipod. i know witts got some to add to this.

edit: dang i missed whudat's post. krs-one for sure. no denying chuck d or wutang either. is the new fugees out, yet? i stopped looking about a month ago.

edit: dang i missed whudat's post. krs-one for sure. no denying chuck d or wutang either. is the new fugees out, yet? i stopped looking about a month ago.

Yeah, I stopped looking too. I don't think it's out yet, and I have no idea when it's coming...

You've got a good list of indie/less mainstream artists. I've tried to listen to several of those guys but didn't get hooked.

And yes, M2, the Jurassic 5 guys do have some skills. I can't remember his name, but I like the dood with the low low voice.

you're thinking of chali2na. he's got a solo disc out..."fish market" i think it's called. j5 got me into hiphop...if you like them, check out typical cats or denizen kane. same group hip hop style, good stuff.

you're thinking of chali2na. he's got a solo disc out..."fish market" i think it's called. j5 got me into hiphop...if you like them, check out typical cats or denizen kane. same group hip hop style, good stuff.

Cool. I'll check 'em out when I get home (in Wisconsin on Army bizness until late Saturday).

(edited)

I voted for Biggie, hands down. Fave line ever is "At my arraignment, a note for the plaintiff- your daughter's tied up in a brooklyn basement. Face it, not guilty"...just too smooth.

But in addition to what John was saying, Murs is definitely one of my favorites. Check out "Felt" and "Felt 2", they're Atmosphere/Murs collaborations. And I love rza from Wu-Tang, if you want a cool cd check out "Think Differently Music: Wu-Tang meets the Indie Culture" because it's just awesome. And there are quite a few sick NY rappers on the Definitive Jux label, including my favorites Vordul Megilah and Vast Aire. And Aceyalone does the best live show ever.

edit- btw SJ, Aceyalone came out with a new cd recently, produced by RJD2...it's called "Magnificent City" and it's pretty good

Edited by witt

grand master flash and the furios 5

nwa

too short

sir mix alot

there are soooo many to list.i chose 2pac.i met him in 92',in palm springs handing out his first demo

when he was still with digital underground.

(edited)

oooh, forgot about Nas. He's one of my favorites, but the only album I really listen to is Illmatic. I'm listening to Halftime as I'm typing.

Edited by witt

oooh, forgot about Nas. He's one of my favorites, but the only album I really listen to is Illmatic. I'm listening to Halftime as I'm typing.

madd props, witt!!!

yeah, he sounds like he's got a little umph behind that bellow. i can't remember how i stumbled on it. is he with rhymesayers?

some of his rhymes are just ridiculous though. i feel like i need a dictionary, about a half dozen 400 level philosophy books, and aspirin when i listen to it.

yeah, he sounds like he's got a little umph behind that bellow. i can't remember how i stumbled on it. is he with rhymesayers?

some of his rhymes are just ridiculous though. i feel like i need a dictionary, about a half dozen 400 level philosophy books, and aspirin when i listen to it.

He's just TOO much for me. Too much noise, too much speed, just too much... Ugh.

Will somebody please take eminem off this list?

i put him up there for what he did for rap, he brought it to the "white" side of it, i appreciated it before him but to me it seems he made it more mainstream and more popular. not for his rapping skills, which i believe are very good, but for what he did for the game altogether