Job

g@!dEn

OK.. as i said, i have just graduated college with a B.S. in marketing and am looking for a job. I have been turned down about 4 times now (due to my lack of experience). My question is, for those who have graduated recently (past 5 yrs) how long did it take you to find a job after graduating? and a question for everyone, what would you all suggest i do to show them i am just a competent as the other people they are hiring? and do you have any job suggestions that you would not mind sharing with me?

I mean it is just kinda discouraging to have gone to college for 4yrs and not be able to find a job, escpeccially after graduating with a 3.9GPA. I just don't get it. So i just wanted to know what you all thought and knew.

it's not what you know, it's who you know. how's your social network? any friends of friends or friends of references or anyone that might let you do a summer internship, or work in the mailroom, or do something entry level (but somehow interacting with upper management)?

john has some good advice, but maybe mine can help you also.

I graduated in May of 05 with a B.S. in Computer Science. Who I knew, I landed a job as tech support for allstate making peanuts trying to work my way up. Forget that.

Here is what I did and it worked, If you do the same, then I don't see why it wouldn't work. Now that I went through the interview process, I know whats up and would feel 110% comfortable in any other interview. That is key. Look at it this way, you have about an hour with a company for an interview. anything can happen in that time, its all in your hands, your actions will either land you the job, or you will be denied.

I printed out about 100 resumes and references list. I did it the old fashion way. I drove around, went in businesses talked to the person up front and handed out my resume. I got about 4 interviews this way. By doing this, it shows the employer your a motivated person wanting to get your foot in the door.

My first interview I didnt get the job because I was very nervous and didn't understand interviews. My second, third and fourth interviews went a little better, but again I needed to work on my "selling" skills. My Fifth interview was by far the best company and the best job I had a chance at.

I went in there giving it all I had because I knew I wouldn't have this opportunity again and I knew I was in control whether I got the job or not, so I gave the interview all I had. This place was over 5 hours from my home and I drove there to hand out resumes and drove back for the interview.

What you have to learn to do is sell yourself at the interview. I let them know I was the right person for the job, I always loved the field Im in and would love to have a chance to show them what I got. You got to tell them your personal experiences outside of school and how you can relate to the job. (what is funny, they gave me a different job than what I interviewed for, better paying also!!!)

My GPA didn't matter so much, I didnt even list it on my resume because it was so bad, but obviously, they would rather have someone like me, who is sadly a computer nerd that enjoys tinkering with a linux box and setting up servers, rather than Joe Schmoe with a 3.9GPA and have never seen the inside of a computer.

Most important: I was like you and basically had zero experience, which sucks trying to find a job, but keep this in mind, If this is really a job you want, go in there knowing your in control of the interview and what you say will either land you the job or not.

Not to discourage you, but it took me a year and a half of working construction jobs to make ends meet and interviewing to get my job. I'm in civil engineering so I have no clue about the market for marketing. NOFX makes excellent points but in my experience, John is dead on. I have had 5 jobs in my life up to now and every one of them I got by who I knew. Yes, I had to have the educational background and ability to sell myself, but I never would have even gotten the interviews had I not known people. Work your friends and their parents and see if you can get them to pass your resume around. Most companies, at least the ones I've worked for, offer referral bonuses to their employees, so that gives them extra reason to try to get you hired.

And a word of encouragement, well if you choose to see it that way. Don't get discouraged if you send resumes out and get no interviews. I honestly probably got 1 interview per 30-40 resumes I sent out.

OK.. as i said, i have just graduated college with a B.S. in marketing and am looking for a job.

Im trying to finish up my degree in marketing now.

3 sem left and Ill be in your shoes.