mp3 to midi converter

Lunk

Does anyone know of a good(free) mp3 to midi converter program?

A guy at work gave me a program called "pix'n tunes". It allows you to create your own ringtones to put on your cell phone. By using songs or mp3 files. And for whatever reason I can't seem to get my Cingular Motorola Razor phone to play the mp3 files when I transfer them to it. Gives me the following "system error" and that's it.

Anyone got any help with this?

The thing is...midi isn't actually sound information, it's a code to tell an instrument what notes to play and when. I can only imagine a program that could convert mp3 or wav files to midi would have to be able to distinguish pitch, timbre, timing etc...seems pretty far fetched to me...sorry to burst bubbles...

On the otherhand...I know motorola uses a specific audio format for its phones to play mp3s. When I started putting mp3s on my phone (not actually a razor but I would think they would still require a specific bitrate) it took me a lot of trial and error to figure out which encoding works with their in-phone player...and I'm a sound guy!

PM me lunk as a reminder and when I get home I'll let you know what all the details are and maybe even encode some of your tunes for you as it requires sound editing software such as Soundforge...its funny as a note that when I first started trying to figure it out I talked to motorola's US tech support and they had no clue what the exact encoding was to play mp3s on their phones...they were happy when I told them what it was, I should have asked for a commission!

What you need to get Lunk is a program called Motorola Phone Tools, currently version 4. I actually own a Cingular RAZR myself and that is what I use for all my ringtones. You can actually move .mp3 files directly to the phone to use as ringtones. The software also includes an audio editor so you can cut down the ringtones. You can also make custom backgrounds and themes and use it to back up all of your contacts. It also synchronizes your phone with outlook and scheduler and all that fun stuff. If you have a laptop you can also link Phone Tools to your phone and use it as a modem to connect to the internet.

What you need to get Lunk is a program called Motorola Phone Tools, currently version 4. I actually own a Cingular RAZR myself and that is what I use for all my ringtones. You can actually move .mp3 files directly to the phone to use as ringtones. The software also includes an audio editor so you can cut down the ringtones. You can also make custom backgrounds and themes and use it to back up all of your contacts. It also synchronizes your phone with outlook and scheduler and all that fun stuff. If you have a laptop you can also link Phone Tools to your phone and use it as a modem to connect to the internet.

And it costs how much?

I think if you buy it direct it is like $50 but you can find it on ebay for cheaper then that most of the time. You don't need the cable just the software. The cable is just a standard USB->Mini USB cable which you can buy off the net or from a store for like $4. With the software you could also use "other methods" to "procure" it.