World cup starts today!!

*BiGBonES**

After such a big build up the biggest event of the year is starting! Something like 1.5billion viewers from across the world are expected to tune in and watch the final, the opening game in the group stages starting today with the host nation Germany.

I dont know about you guys, but England has been going mad with the hype and preparation. If you ever walk down a street you see at least 5 cars with england flags sticking off the roof, people flying the flags high from windows and lamp posts and people bringing home their new plasma TV to watch all the games on.

If you want a wallchart to tally the progress, fixtures and results, then click on this sexy bit of underlined text and your wildest dreams will come true :blink:

Well anyway, england FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :boing::boing::boing:

USA ftw!!!! Gotta root for the home team!

I love the passion of soccer (sorry, futbol) fans, and the fact that it truly is an international, WORLD Cup championship. IMO there really isn't another sporting even that comes close.

BBC has one and espn360 had one. However, you need a UK ip to connect to the BBC one and you have to have a provider that has signed up with espn360 to get that. Not sure if you have to pay for it on top of that, but I would if I could access it.

Yeah, I looked for audio and couldn't find it, since I don't have XM, so I just went for the gamecast. It sucks though, it only updates for like 3 minutes here at work and then acts like it looses connection and freezes. GRRRRR...I knew I should have just stayed home today/ this month.

<Schemes to figure out how to proxy through BB and use the BBC stream>

you can always take a long lunch in front of a t.v.!?

I remember the last cup this bar in chicago had every flag of every country on a liittle round stand all lined up almost the whole length of the bar!

all these flags sat at the top of the bar on the cabinets so that when a team lost the flag was pulled forward and down! so now the flag instead of standing straight up was now hanging over the edge of cabinet!

so a country would lose the match and be out of the race for the cup ;but the flag of the country was still respected! hanging over the edge still "flying" I thought that was a nice touch! I have some friends from germany wow do they go CRAZY over this world cup stuff!

That England vs. Paraguay match was pretty interesting. Paraguay's GK goes out of the match in the 8th min. England wins 1-0 on an own goal. Not to mention that ball that went off the jumbotron. Overall, one of those games that can only happen in the World Cup

That England vs. Paraguay match was pretty interesting. Paraguay's GK goes out of the match in the 8th min. England wins 1-0 on an own goal. Not to mention that ball that went off the jumbotron. Overall, one of those games that can only happen in the World Cup

England dominated the 1st half, but in the second half our manager changed the formation and we got dominated. That ref will probably not ref another world cup game as he was so useless, too many pathetic decisions went against England. Its not an excuse for playing rubbish, but it didnt help.

I hope England can play to their potential in future matches, if we do we have a good chance of progressing far.

Them own goals are kinda intentional by the way, they've happened in a few practice matches (scrims :lol2: ). Its the way beckham delivers the free kicks, in a place where the ball is very hard to clear, and then the spin on the ball means that when its headed its got more of a chance of ending up in the back of the net. Not luck, skill ;) Beckham is our AWP.

Lampard and Gerrard usually dominate midfield, watch out for their dangerous shots from outside the box as them two both know how to hit the ball, Gerrard scoring some absolute beauties during the season.

Rooney ftw when he gets fit again!

wow swden ties trinidad and tabago.... freaking awsome match to watch and though i love sweden i was pulling for T&T to pull the upset..... they werent even supposed to win a game and they pull the tie. plus playing the second half with only 10 guys and still creating chances to score.... god i love this

Im so mad TnT tied Sweden.....they ruined my chances of winning $153.26 on proline..... ah well it was good to see an underdog do well i guess.

I'm kind of disappointed that Mexico won against Iran.

I was kind of hoping that Iran would win by a huge margin so that I could laugh at Mexico.

That would warm the heart of any US soccer football fan.

Edited by meherdmann

nah me being a fan of the USA and hating Mexico as a rival im glad they won, the deserved it they played hard and with mexicos goal keeper losing his father it was great to see them win it for him.

not even gonna watch the rest fo the USA game down 3-0.... they played like a bunch of high school kids....i dont even know what to say.....im very dissapointed in them. so much for proving the world we can play at their level.

not even gonna watch the rest fo the USA game down 3-0.... they played like a bunch of high school kids....i dont even know what to say.....im very dissapointed in them. so much for proving the world we can play at their level.

I know what you mean. I turned it off after the 3rd goal too. Hopefully they can bounce back and win against Italy and Ghana because that is the only way they are going to advace now. They have a good group of players. They just didn't show up today. :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

guys dont write off your team yet. So they had a fumble. Czech Republic is a formidable team. Nedved and Baros and their crew, they could mop the floor with many teams. USA shouldn't have a problem vs Ghana. The Italian game is up in the air. USA is ranked higher than Italy but there is speculation that this the best team the Italians have fronted ever.

I didn't watch the USA game but if i get a chance tonight i will then i'll make some comments, until then i'm sorry to hear they lost and better luck in the upcoming games!

guys dont write off your team yet. So they had a fumble. Czech Republic is a formidable team. Nedved and Baros and their crew, they could mop the floor with many teams. USA shouldn't have a problem vs Ghana. The Italian game is up in the air. USA is ranked higher than Italy but there is speculation that this the best team the Italians have fronted ever.

I didn't watch the USA game but if i get a chance tonight i will then i'll make some comments, until then i'm sorry to hear they lost and better luck in the upcoming games!

Yeah, but only 18.8% of teams that lose their first game advance to the next round. They are doing to have a massive uphill battle just to get out of the group stages now.

Edited by meherdmann

The loss doesn't bother me so much as the goal differential. I mean it sucks they lost, and from what I saw (2nd half only) they played like crap, giving the ball away too many times on errant passes in the midfield etc. If it was 1-nil or something, we could get away with beating Ghana and tieing Italy and still have a chance to make it. But down 3 goals it looks like we will most likely have to win both matches to advance. It can be done, but we're going to have to play a lot better than we did today.

The loss doesn't bother me so much as the goal differential. I mean it sucks they lost, and from what I saw (2nd half only) they played like crap, giving the ball away too many times on errant passes in the midfield etc. If it was 1-nil or something, we could get away with beating Ghana and tieing Italy and still have a chance to make it. But down 3 goals it looks like we will most likely have to win both matches to advance. It can be done, but we're going to have to play a lot better than we did today.

Very true. If we tie Italy, we'll probably have to blast Ghana with at least a 3 or 4 to nill victory.

Note: I just checked the standings and Ghana lost to Italy 2-0, so right now we're dead last due to goal differential.

Edited by meherdmann

Alright i just reviewed the replay's of the game. Czech definately had an upper hand. I wont lie they had some sweet goals. Defence has to tighten up a bit.

As for the Ghana situation, they didn't do to bad. They had some nice attacks against Italy. It's not looking good right now for the USA. Italy will be harder to beat (in my opinion) than Czech.

(edited)

Ghana is actually pretty good. they played well against Italy and they had a couple of great scoring chances. They seem to be able to run very fast, its just their lacking a bit of skill.

as for the U.S., i didnt get to watch them play, but im sure they'll bounce back

Edited by Mr.Cool

The only really good game for tomorrow today should be Switzerland vs. France. The others (Brazil vs. Croatia; Togo vs. Korea) look like they are going to be blowouts. I say the Swiss beat the French because, well, they're French.

Edited by meherdmann