USA vs Italy

Dennis

Oh god am i praying for the win today. I know they can do it they just have to play their best and come out right off the kickoff taking shots from everywhere. If we dont post a win or a tie witht hem then the rest of the world will look at 2002 as nothing and we will have made no progress in the sport. Anyone else think they can pull it off?

actually we just need to beat ghana..... as the points r if italy beats czech rep, and we beat ghana that gives us 4 points and italy will win the group with 7 points... ghana and czech will have 3 points cuz oif 2 loses... so lets hope for the W against ghana and an italy win.... and yes the ref blew this game for us.

wow, the ref was crazy....

right after italy scored, it was nice to see usa come right back. they just like used the goal as motivation and for that span of 5mins or so, they were really good, until all the red cards came out...

That red card against Maestroeni (I think that's how it's spelled) was crap. That kind of foul ALWAYS merits a yellow at ALL levels. What makes me REALLY angry is now the US will have to play without Pope and Maestroeni in the game with Ghana. Also, if the US beats Ghana by a huge margin, Italy can lose and we can still advance.

The Americans were 0-8 in World Cup games played in Europe, and they had never gotten even a single point in Europe

That is incorrect. The US were 0-8-1 in Europe, so this is actually their second point.

Not to mention that it's obvious that if you go winless, you don't get any points. This article was very poorly written IMO.

Edited by meherdmann

I completely agree with all of you that the ref was a complete fool in this game except for on one occasion... the red card against Mastreoni. In my opinion that red card was completely legit, a double foot slide with spikes up at someone's ankle is a red card period. Pirlo's ankle could have been snapped! But yeah the ref was horrible and as usual the Italians played cheap (ie elbow to the face and unnecessaty diving). Also i was quite impressed with USA showing after going down to 9 men.

meherdman i dont agree with you. Both the red cards given to the USA were deserved. Those types of tacles get you know where especially the one that came straight on. The one from behind could be disputed.

The refs are not tolerating anythign this year. There have been more cards given at this World Cup than anyone i've watched. There's something like 6 red cards right now in the tournament and half of were at this game. I didnt watch the game but it was a very physical game from both sides. The elbow to the face was not cool, the italian deserved that Red Card.

This pool is so messed up right now, it's anyone's game still. Good luck against Ghana, they outplayed the Czechs, USA will have to tighten up defence to hold off any attacks.

NO NO NO NO NO both of the red cards to the USA were bad. Pablo got ball on his takle and the guy. any league play thats a yellow card hands down not a red. popes second yellow was a bad one too. teams have complained about the cards and to me its slowing the game down, its taking good players out of the game too. some of these cards r being pulled on little things. plus the ref for the USA, Italy game has been suspended before for making bad calls in games....... but that amkes me think how th e hell did he get intot he world cup.

whats our record now on european soil? 0-8-1? If US is scored against first in the world cup we are 0-23-2. We have the least shots on goal of all the teams. Sure the refs sucked and it may have changed the outcome, but remeber we shouldn't even have that one goal to begin with. A US player didn't even score. I watch ESPN and the news and it seems like everyone wants to point fingers, What happend to the rule of honor? Good Game guys, I will beat you next time.

whats our record now on european soil? 0-8-1? If US is scored against first in the world cup we are 0-23-2. We have the least shots on goal of all the teams. Sure the refs sucked and it may have changed the outcome, but remeber we shouldn't even have that one goal to begin with. A US player didn't even score. I watch ESPN and the news and it seems like everyone wants to point fingers, What happend to the rule of honor? Good Game guys, I will beat you next time.

USA has a record of 0-8-2 on European soil in World Cup matches.

I'm personally quite happy that the refs are clamping down on bad challenges, I quit playing this game because 2 years in a row i got injured for 3 months after working extremely hard on my game during pre-season. It only takes 1 studs up challenge for a guy to be out for months, an example was against Ronaldo (i think) in the brazil game where you saw the red stud marks on his legs, if his foot had been firmly on the ground it would have broke his legs.

So far the refeering has been quite good, but I'd personanally like to see players who dive get huge fines and yellow cards because they are hackers :freak:

P.S. I've just jinxed England now becuase i bet in the next few games the ref gets everything wrong :=

"Does that mean the match was fixed? Of course not, it is just an unfortunate coincidence that a referee with a checkered past makes some shaky calls in a match involving a nation currently embroiled in a match-fixing scandal. A coincidence? Yes. A conspiracy? No."

taken from an article on ESPN about the refing durring the Italy USA game.

A couple of points here.

1. Yes, our goal was an own goal. It was a mistake made by the Italian team. But honestly, their goal was a result of a mistake made by our team. When the defensive captain says run the offsides trap, you run it. Not half the guys run it half of them not. The confusion lead to a goal for an Italian team that was being dominated on the field by the US. Maybe I'm full of it, but I don't think they score if our defenders are all on the same page. Mistakes happen, and whether its us or them that puts the ball in the net, it counts. If we weren't placing balls into the box every 30 seconds (ok I exaggerate and can't spell either) there wouldn't have been a chance for that mistake.

2. The ref. I don't care what his past is but he influenced the outcome of the game, imo. That's not his job. The only time I EVER have a problem with refs is if they are inconsistant. Call every foul the same and I'm happy. I know what I can and cannot do to have THIS ref call the foul. That's part of sports. This guy was all over the place. The Italian guy deserved the card, no doubt, that's a gimme. Both US players made hard tackles. Masteroni's could have gone either way in my mind. If I recall, he did get ball, but he went in studs up as previously mentioned. I've always been told that if you go in studs up, you're gonna get a card. Pope's red imo definately should have been a yellow at maximum. Both teams were fouling each other like that the whole game and to my knowledge the ref let them go in the first half. However, the grass monster trips a guy in the first half and he flails about like a big fish and the ref wants to card the closet member of the opposite team. Inconsistant. Now, less than 5 minutes into the second half the ref decides the tackles that have been going on in the first half with no penalty, now deserves a card? I don't get it.

I honestly couldn't tell you who would have won if the ref had been consistant. By the way the US outplayed the Italians, my money would have been on the US. Its a tie, we move on. Hopefully the rest of the way the refs will be more consistant and that way the teams can undoubtedly decide who should win.

I hope you guys realize that Pope's red card was no a direct send off. It was his second yellow of the match for committing the same type of hard tackle. As for the ref...he should be banned from all further play and have his license removed by FIFA.

I hope you guys realize that Pope's red card was no a direct send off. It was his second yellow of the match for committing the same type of hard tackle. As for the ref...he should be banned from all further play and have his license removed by FIFA.

That's what I thought, but couldn't remember for sure. Either way, the inconsistancies in his foul calling are what irked me the most.