CS:S died on me

Guest FoolishMan

Guest FoolishMan
Guest FoolishMan
Guest FoolishMan
Guests

I have a Radeon 9600XT with 1.60 GHz processor and 768 MB of RAM.

Long story short, I cleaned out the dust from my computer with a vacuum. When I started my PC there was an error saying that my gfx card did not recognized the drivers. I checked the temp of my gfx card (to see if I disconnected something) and it was fine. I reinstalled drivers and it didn't help. I eventully completely removed the old drivers with driver cleaner and installed the Omega drivers (had official Radeon drivers before).

This seemed to work at first. I used to play with high settings and it still defaulted to this. However, now when I play in high settings it lags like crazy. Last time I played CS:S the game was playing very smoothly at 60 fps but when I got my first kill in the round the game froze and had to restart my PC.

The only remedy seems to play the game in the very ugly low settings. However, when I tried this i had the shiny pink floor bug that wouldn't go away even with restarting CS:S.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to restore my gfx to its former glory? I havent really played CS:S other than a round or two before it frezzes up. I want to frag again! :(

I moved this over to the hardware, software, casualware forums because

of the nature of your post. Better qualified people are more likely to see

it here. :D Although I could be wrong, it sounds to me like you might

have done something to your GPU while you were cleaning it. Is it

completely installed properly? Did you drop it by accident?

Yes, pull out the card, run the vacuum to get the dust out of the slot, and off the card, then plug it back in.

Be careful though, since all that rapidly moving air can generate a good static charge, and that might be what happened to your card with the last vacuuming.

Also look to see if you may have accidentally knocked something loose while you were in there.

Guest FoolishMan
Guest FoolishMan
Guest FoolishMan
Guests

Didn't notice the Hardware, Software, Casualware part of the forums, oops :) . I'll try taking it out and vacuum the slot, hope that fixes it. Thanks for the replies.

CS:S has joined JackieChan's party!

FoolishMan equips Weapon-Vacuum.

FoolishMan attacks Video Card for 1592 damage!

Chain Reaction! CS:S has died!

JackieChan uses skill: Reseat Video Card!

JackieChan uses skill: Update Video Drivers!

JackieChan kicks Video Card!

CS:S can now be resurrected!

JackieChan casts resurrect on CS:S.

CS:S was resurrected with 100 HP and 100 MP.

...if only things could work out this well in real life.